• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sudden loss of Lunar's sister

jenna14

New Kit
Hi, this is my first time posting on here and I apologise if it isn't the right place but I could really do with some advice and support right now. Sorry in advance for the long post but I feel like I need to explain everything.

My partner and I started our bun family last July with two baby Netherland Dwarf siblings, a male and a female who were 8 weeks when we got them. Lunar and Solar became our absolute world immediately and I can genuinely say that I have never loved two tiny fluffs so much.

They were successfully neutered and spayed and spent every single second of the day together just grooming and snuggling. It was about 6 months ago that we noticed Solar's teeth were huge and didn't look right and this was confirmed to be malocclusion, something we know can happen with this particular breed. She has been having regular teeth burring every 4-5 weeks and managed this consciously without being stressed. However, the last three months resulted in her going in everything 3.5 weeks and she was becoming more and more stressed with her most recent one resulting in her being sedated. We sat down and had a conversation with her vet who agreed that this wasn't a long term solution, not only for her but also ourselves as it was going to cost £55 every three weeks. The vet advised that we thought about removing her incisor teeth and assured us that buns can live without these and that we would just need to make a few adjustments to ensure she was able to have her full nutrition.

Unfortunately, she went in with Lunar this Wednesday to have this surgery and we received the call that noone wants. Her little heart just couldn't cope with the anaesthetic and she'd passed away. As you can imagine both of ours are heartbroken and I can't even begin to imagine what Lunar is feeling. I didn't realise that you could physically feel your heart breaking.

We got to say our goodbye to her and have a final cuddle and the vets did some paw prints for us and collected some of her fur into a vial for us to keep. We both feel so incredibly guilty that we put her through this risk but we are accepting that it was the best thing for her and she had the best life whilst she was with us, I genuinely do not know more spoil rabbits than ours. I know that we will come to terms with her going, it's going to take time and we accept that but our concern is now for her brother.

Lunar is home with us and thankfully, although his appetite is reduced, he is eating, drinking and pooping. He was never a bun who liked that much fuss but he has been flopping and letting us snuggle him these last couple of days. It just breaks my heart to see him in his house alone. After reading up about rabbits grieving, my partner has given him a soft toy and he has started to clean this which I hope is a positive sign. They had their own bedroom with their cage in and they would be free to run about the top floor when we were there and we have basically left him free for the past days except at night. Again, I don't know if this is the right thing to do but at night we are moving his cage from his room into our bedroom as we can't stand the idea of him being alone in the dark.

I have been reading a lot the past couple of days and our vet also mentioned that getting a friend might be the best thing for him but I just don't know. On one hand, he's only one and I don't want him to be lonely and he might thrive with a new buddy but then again, I don't want him to feel that we're replacing her or maybe he is happy on his own? We also know in our own hearts that we are not able to consider getting a friend immediately as we need time to come to terms with this loss.

I have lost people and pets close to me before but this is the worst lost I've ever had in my life and Wednesday was genuinely the worst day of my life.

For now, we will continue to give him lots of fuss, treats and free roaming time. We have just bought a baby gate so that he is able to roam freely more often and without having to have us there. I'm back to work on Monday and I work long shifts and it'll mean that he's left for about 8 hours by himself whilst my partner is at work too.

Any advice, support or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading if you made it this far.

Hi, this is my first time posting on here and I apologise if it isn't the right place but I could really do with some advice and support right now. Sorry in advance for the long post but I feel like I need to explain everything.

My partner and I started our bun family last July with two baby Netherland Dwarf siblings, a male and a female who were 8 weeks when we got them. Lunar and Solar became our absolute world immediately and I can genuinely say that I have never loved two tiny fluffs so much.

They were successfully neutered and spayed and spent every single second of the day together just grooming and snuggling. It was about 6 months ago that we noticed Solar's teeth were huge and didn't look right and this was confirmed to be malocclusion, something we know can happen with this particular breed. She has been having regular teeth burring every 4-5 weeks and managed this consciously without being stressed. However, the last three months resulted in her going in everything 3.5 weeks and she was becoming more and more stressed with her most recent one resulting in her being sedated. We sat down and had a conversation with her vet who agreed that this wasn't a long term solution, not only for her but also ourselves as it was going to cost £55 every three weeks. The vet advised that we thought about removing her incisor teeth and assured us that buns can live without these and that we would just need to make a few adjustments to ensure she was able to have her full nutrition.

Unfortunately, she went in with Lunar this Wednesday to have this surgery and we received the call that noone wants. Her little heart just couldn't cope with the anaesthetic and she'd passed away. As you can imagine both of ours are heartbroken and I can't even begin to imagine what Lunar is feeling. I didn't realise that you could physically feel your heart breaking.

We got to say our goodbye to her and have a final cuddle and the vets did some paw prints for us and collected some of her fur into a vial for us to keep. We both feel so incredibly guilty that we put her through this risk but we are accepting that it was the best thing for her and she had the best life whilst she was with us, I genuinely do not know more spoil rabbits than ours. I know that we will come to terms with her going, it's going to take time and we accept that but our concern is now for her brother.

Lunar is home with us and thankfully, although his appetite is reduced, he is eating, drinking and pooping. He was never a bun who liked that much fuss but he has been flopping and letting us snuggle him these last couple of days. It just breaks my heart to see him in his house alone. After reading up about rabbits grieving, my partner has given him a soft toy and he has started to clean this which I hope is a positive sign. They had their own bedroom with their cage in and they would be free to run about the top floor when we were there and we have basically left him free for the past days except at night. Again, I don't know if this is the right thing to do but at night we are moving his cage from his room into our bedroom as we can't stand the idea of him being alone in the dark.

I have been reading a lot the past couple of days and our vet also mentioned that getting a friend might be the best thing for him but I just don't know. On one hand, he's only one and I don't want him to be lonely and he might thrive with a new buddy but then again, I don't want him to feel that we're replacing her or maybe he is happy on his own? We also know in our own hearts that we are not able to consider getting a friend immediately as we need time to come to terms with this loss.

I have lost people and pets close to me before but this is the worst lost I've ever had in my life and Wednesday was genuinely the worst day of my life.

For now, we will continue to give him lots of fuss, treats and free roaming time. We have just bought a baby gate so that he is able to roam freely more often and without having to have us there. I'm back to work on Monday and I work long shifts and it'll mean that he's left for about 8 hours by himself whilst my partner is at work too.

Any advice, support or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading if you made it this far.

Firstly I am so sorry for your tragic loss. It is something we all absolutely dread and the pain is beyond words :cry:

It sounds as though Lunar is coping reasonably well at the moment. But in the long term I really think he would benefit from having another Rabbit companion. Not to 'replace' Solar, but to become another friend for him to share his life with. I doubt that Solar would want him to spend the rest of his life on his own. In rare circumstances an individual Rabbit may prefer to remain single after the loss of a partner. But it is not the norm. I have only witnessed that scenario once in over 22 years of caring for over 160 Rabbits.

So when you feel ready I would contact a local Rescue to see if they have a suitable single Doe in need of a new home with a Bunny friend. Many Rescues offer assistance with Rabbit bonding too.

I hope that Lunar is now eating normally and that his poo output is OK. If either are significantly reduced still I'd contact the Vet for a bit more advice.

RIP Solar :cry:

So tragic.
I agree with JJ - he would be happier spending time with another rabbit (or 2?). An already neutered rabbit will be a better option for ease of bonding, which should be on neutral territory (ie new to both bunnies). Let us know how you get on.

Thank you both for your replies. We have thought about it and agree that getting him a friend would be the best thing for him. He's still eating, drinking and pooping well so hopefully he coping as well as he can x

I am very sorry you have lost Solar. When you feel ready to look for a friend for Luna, I feel this would be the best course of action. I am really sorry.

Hi Jenna,
i am so sorry for your loss, it is devastating to lose a bun.
my best wishes to Lunar. As JJ and Shimmer have said, buns really do need company. I'm glad he seems to be OK at the moment but i'm sure if he had a friend you would notice how much better he would be & when looking back perhaps realise that he is much happier with a friend.
Having said that, sometimes introducing a new bun can be difficult. although they need company they can be adverse to having it at first! Personally I would start looking at what rehoming centres have as soon as you fell able so that you have an opportunity to find the right bun for you & him.
I wish you & Lunar all the best xxx.

So very sorry to hear of your loss. I definitely agree with the advice given. Sending lots of vibes for Lunar. Sweet dreams Solar xx

Back