• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - Rabbits happy in hutch but not in run!

ElaineG

New Kit
Hi, I have 2 female rabbits, both were spayed 2 months ago, and I've been bonding them for the last 3 weeks or so. I moved them into their hutch a few days ago as they were flopping together and grooming each other in their cage indoors. They seem quite happy in the hutch, still flopping together and grooming a little (I haven't seen as much as I'm not with them all day anymore). I've been trying to let them out into their run but every time I do I'm seeing a mixture of flopping together, grooming each other, sharing food etc but also chasing, humping (by both), circling, fur pulling. I've tried letting them out at different times of day, but I quickly lock them back into the hutch whenever I think the chasing/humping etc is getting too much. Once back in the hutch they flop down together and look perfectly happy again. I don't know what to do next. Should I 'let them fight it out' in the run? Or give them a few more days locked in the hutch? Or just let them into the run for 10 minutes a day? I feel very confused as they are so happy together until they get in the run! I really don't want them to get into a big fight where I have to separate them again, they seem so happy together! Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Is the run attached or seperate?

How big is the run in comparison to the hutch?

Thanks for replying. Since I posted on Friday we left them locked in the hutch for another day and then let them into the run (attached with a tunnel, 2x1m) a little bit each day. We've see very little negative behaviour so we're increasing the time in the run each day and so far it's going well. What really helped is the post I found on here about how to bond which basically said they need to 'fight it out' - I have been scared to let them fight in case they hurt each other badly and then never bond, but that post gave me the courage to let them chase/mount/circle/hump with the expectation that I would only step in if they fight, and that they need to do all this to move on. Very happy I found that post on this site! Thanks again for responding, I think we're doing OK for now. Fingers crossed!

Really pleased that the girls are starting to settle down together, and fingers and paws crossed that they remain that way. Well done bunnies ! xxx

Back