Thread: Is my bunny ill?

Default Is my bunny ill?

We got back from going away (next door looked after the pets) And I quickly noticed behaviour changes in the bunny. She usually runs around waiting for her food but she was just sitting still. She has barely moved all day and won't eat or drink. Bottle fed her water but still not enough. Her breathing is so fast it looks more like shivering.
    Trying to get appointment at the vet all day but even the normal vets are booked up until Friday.
    What can I do?

Get her to the vet now. Not eating or drinking for a rabbit is not good and is generally a sign of stasis. Bunny will probably need painkillers and gut stimulants.

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

I agree that you need to get your bunny seen by a vet as soon as possible, preferably tonight. When you phone explain that she is in suspected stasis and she will be admitted as an emergency. This really cannot wait until Friday.

ETA: if you phone your usual vet the answerphone should give details of the out of hours vet. In my experience, because it's emergency cases only you're more likely to get her seen and assessed by a vet straight away at this time of night.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Scrappy's Little Helper; 30-07-2020 at 12:17 AM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Agreed it is an emergency and vet is needed asap. Sending positive vibes.

Wise Old Thumper

Did you manage to get your Bunny seen by a Vet ?
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Thanks for the advice, she got seen early morning. She is now on anti inflammatory medication and special food for two weeks. Her eating has improved and she was well enough to spend some time with her new partner. They are still in the early stages of bonding. (Very energetic Dutch bunny couple.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nibbles06 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, she got seen early morning. She is now on anti inflammatory medication and special food for two weeks. Her eating has improved and she was well enough to spend some time with her new partner. They are still in the early stages of bonding. (Very energetic Dutch bunny couple.)
    Good work. Thanks for the update. Stress can impact gi function so you may want to pause bonding if she seems stressed by partner chasing ,humping,or nipping her. Others on ru can advise you better on that issue.
    Sending more vibes for a quick recovery to 100%

Thank you,😊 I separated their pens to give her some recovery time. Her new partner is very energetic so he has no problem in the larger play area. (indoor rabbits) Her energy is starting to come back and she has eaten her new food no problem. 😊