• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on cat deterrents

Rackeluk

Warren Scout
I need some advice, next doors cats have took a liking to sitting on the fence staring at the rabbit hutch, we are in the process of building a rather large rabbit enclosure, it’s going to have a congregated roof on it which I’m concerned the cats will sit on, can anyone advise of what I can use? I have a dog so I can’t put anything down that could be bad for the dog, our dog defends the hutch during the day but I’m concerned at night time when we are not around.

Cats can be a problem for Rabbits. One of the best deterrents is a water pistol but this isn't much good in the night. I have wire on the top of my fence which keeps the foxes and most cats out. Some are very determined though. I hope they don't upset your Bunnies.

Oh they don’t have annoy me, it was Lily’s first night outside last night I hardly slept, She was in with Max, when I went to see them at 5:30am this morning, I opened the hutch door to the run and they both run out to see me so excited it made me feel so relieved.
Just the thought of the cats scaring my babies whilst we’re sleeping and not able to help.

We have ordered an enclosure like this;
WLl7fOI.jpg

The hutch is going to be out in the enclosure and we was going to let them roam around the enclosure at night rather than putting them away in the hutch but now I feel uncomfortable doing it because of the cats.

I would get some cat deterrent spikes to put along the roof, I have some down in my plant beds and a cat poo's in there which then my dog tries to eat!! They're not sharp enough to hurt the cat, a determined cat may still walk on them but they're cheap enough I think to try

Thank you so much I’ll have a look, it will be annoying spending so much money on housing them and making them comfortable only for cats to scare them, I can’t wait to get the enclosure built I just don’t want anything ruining it.

It wouldn't be pretty but catproof fencing all around the top would stop them from being able to sit on the roof. We used building restraint straps (bent at an angle) for the brackets as they're only about £1 each and deer netting is pretty cheap. The photo is on a straight run of fencing just to give you an idea of what I mean.

It wouldn't stop them from being able to pester the rabbits in the enclosure itself though but a lot depends on how curious the cat is & how wary the bunnies are really.

Rabbits like the security of hidey holes - they don't realise that the mesh will protect them and prefer some kind of 'solid barrier' so I would put a few hiding places into the run so that they can retreat if need be.

You could look into a motion sensor cat repellant water spray system but I don't know how effective they are.
dc55f7a15ad41d97df69d6f277368de3.jpg

I was thinking of the motion sensor water spray but I’d be scared it would wet the rabbits.

I’ve purchased an enclosure from Omlet, I’ve also bought a shelter with 2 runs attached, I’m considering attaching a tube to the hutch as the hutch will be in the enclosure.

We found next door's cat who was really interested in stalking the bunnies wouldn't scale our puppy panel fence around the lawn (90cm), so I think the Omlet fencing would work for this too. My OH suggested it was because it was too tall for them to jump straight over (like a horse doing puissance) and unlike a normal wooden fence there's nothing for them to stand on at the top if they climb it. Another of the cats just wanted to be friends and nosebumped with Aboleth. He also liked to come into our house :lol:

Tubes are amazing. We walked past the Western Power depot at the end of the road yesterday and they've got TONS of tubes. I said to the OH I should drop a note in to say I'll take any offcuts they have of the 6" tubes but I think the OH thought we'd already had to get rid of loads of tubes (to a rescue) already and that I was mad. Another thing about tubes is you get used to the sound the bunnies make through them so when the sound changes you know something might be up...

I went a little crazy on the Omlet website haha, I ended getting these
Gw795Hw.jpg

I just need to get covers for the roof of the run.

Oh, looks like you've been having a good spend up! [emoji23][emoji23]

Re. the water spray, it depends on your garden layout really. It probably tells you the 'firing range' of the spray so you could have a measure up & see if there's a way of positioning it to avoid spraying the rabbits too. [emoji23] I'd maybe see how they go first - with a few tunnels & boxes as hidey holes, they might not even be too bothered by the cat.

Keletkezes, my two cats both jump straight over puppy panels - we had to give up on them very early on lol. Freddie used to climb them as a kitten too but I'm not sure they'd hold his weight now.

Keletkezes, my two cats both jump straight over puppy panels - we had to give up on them very early on lol. Freddie used to climb them as a kitten too but I'm not sure they'd hold his weight now.
Puissance kitties :love: We reckoned Bandit couldn't have been THAT interested in the bunnies because he never tried! I think Freddie certainly would have our panels over before he got over them :lol:

What do you think I’m best getting for the roof? The covers Omlet sell are pretty pricey and I’d need a few for the size of the run, I’ve seen some with bamboo roofs but they’d surely need replacing in winter.

My neighbour called me over to ask how the rabbits were getting along then decided to tell me that she’d be more worried about the foxes than the cats, she preceded to tell me that foxes can climb fences and even if they can’t get into the enclosure my rabbits could die from a heart attack from being scared, I don’t know if she was just being helpful but she’s got me worrying even more now.
I’m thinking it may be safer just to bring them inside the house each night and leave them out in the enclosure during the day, it will be such a shame though they won’t have as much room inside as they would in the new enclosure.

My neighbour called me over to ask how the rabbits were getting along then decided to tell me that she’d be more worried about the foxes than the cats, she preceded to tell me that foxes can climb fences and even if they can’t get into the enclosure my rabbits could die from a heart attack from being scared, I don’t know if she was just being helpful but she’s got me worrying even more now.
I’m thinking it may be safer just to bring them inside the house each night and leave them out in the enclosure during the day, it will be such a shame though they won’t have as much room inside as they would in the new enclosure.

while unhelpful to your worries, she is right. foxes are as much (I personally regard them as more) of a risk as a cat could be. foxes would be out for food and a rabbit is on their diet in terms of prey they'd catch. they may try, which is why its important to fox proof runs etc, such as making sure they can't be dug under, jumped over, or broken into (using strong welded mesh). personally I argue foxes are more of a risk due to the fact that they're out looking for food and opportunity, most cats are looking to play vs eat, as they're fed in a house. so going to the bother of a rabbit in a pen probably isn't worth it. obviously some may try, due to instinct, but I feel a fox would be more determined due to hunger & instinct.

rabbits can die of shock/heart attack. however providing they have the safe space to retreat (lots of hides) I believe it minimises the risk - hopefully somebody can correct me if not. the "rabbit had a heart attack and died" is something very commonly spread around, but it also comes from a time where rabbits lived in tiny 3ft hutches. they had nowhere to hide too away from the predator. rabbit care isn't always what it is.

unfortunately moving rabbits in & wouldn't work either. rabbits can't handle a temperature change bigger than 10C - so once you hit autumn, winter & early spring, taking them in and out just won't be viable any more. not unless you can make the temperature inside the same as outside (no heating, all windows open). coming from the cold outside to hot inside will cause them to instantly shed their winter coats, and even cause stasis due to the stress put on their system of being so hot.

I also feel moving rabbits about like that might cause them stress. rabbits usually like to have their territory and stick to it. being in one territory overnight, and then the other during the day, may not sit so well. they might want to stay in the outside territory, or the indoor one, and be unhappy at being forced into one (or the other).

rabbits are very all or nothing characters - you can't have a bit of both. its either in or out, or once place or another place (or the choice to transfer freely between to spaces).

Thank you I over worry anyway but I’d rather know of the dangers I don’t go into owning a pet half hearted.

We have ordered a rabbit run 9ft by 6ft from Omlet with a fox proof skirt on it, it states that it is predator proof, their hutch is going to be put in the run, their hutch is 7ft long and we have a shelter with two tubes in and out to be added in their as well.

We was hoping to let the bunnies have full access to the run all day and night, currently we close them both in the hutch every night, but now I’m thinking it may be safer to carry on putting them away in their hutch every night even in their enclosure.

Thank you I over worry anyway but I’d rather know of the dangers I don’t go into owning a pet half hearted.

We have ordered a rabbit run 9ft by 6ft from Omlet with a fox proof skirt on it, it states that it is predator proof, their hutch is going to be put in the run, their hutch is 7ft long and we have a shelter with two tubes in and out to be added in their as well.

We was hoping to let the bunnies have full access to the run all day and night, currently we close them both in the hutch every night, but now I’m thinking it may be safer to carry on putting them away in their hutch every night even in their enclosure.

unfortunately a hutch isn't really ever enough. its not recommended to lock rabbits away as the time you're locking them away is when their most active. it can lead to problems such as destruction and aggression due to the frustration. you should treat a hutch like a hide, over a place to lock them into. the RWAF recommends a minimum size of 10ft x 6ft at all times for rabbits..you run almost hits that but a hutch would not :[ even the larger hutches on the market aren't really suitable to shut rabbits in for any period of time. they should be treated as shelters & home bases over something to lock them into. a place to put water bowls & litter trays etc https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-housing/space-recommendations/

the run from omlet will be fine, I assure you - many people keep their rabbits in aviaries & this wouldn't be much different, its the same concept. the skirt will hopefully help deter, and the mesh is strong, so there isn't much chance of a fox getting in (if at all). if necessary you might want to consider putting something into the ground too, to stop anything digging in (or them out!).

sadly outdoor rabbits come with these extra risks. personally, its why I couldn't ever have an outdoor rabbit again. I worried myself sick along with nightmares. I couldn't ever do it again. like you I over worry and it was something I couldn't curve. not criticising anybody who does -- rabbits can be perfectly happy & safe outdoors. I just couldn't put my mind at ease!!

I didn’t sleep much last night worrying :(

We have this hutch;
UipSQMS.jpg

I have a camera watching the hutch and I’m trying to find a hutch camera so I can keep my eye on them when they are inside.

When Max was neutered we had to keep him indoors to recover, he’s not keen on being indoors as I don’t have enough room for him to explore, I was also worried about the change in temperature, I do have a conservatory they at times almost the same temperature as outside so that wouldn’t be too much of a problem, I just don’t have 10ft x 6ft of space for them inside.

Back