• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP>>>Hay Mites?????????

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
Over the holidays i ran out of hay and was unable to get to a petshop to buy more so i got some off my mum who buys it in bales from a farmer near her.

I use the hay to line his cage and also for him to eat, the problem is that when i just cleaned him out and went to put more hay in i noticed tiny little bugs crawling around in the hay. :(
I presume they are hay mites of some kind, now i don't know what to do as he has already had the hay in there for a week (with fresh hay everyday) and hay lining his cage.

Should i take the hay out or will it be ok? I don't want him to catch anything.....are these bugs harmful???? :(

Any advice would be great..... :)

I haven't heard of mites you can see in the hay before so can't offer much advice. I shouldn't think they will attach to your rabbit as rabbit parasitic mites are too small to see clearly. The only thing is it might not be good for your bun to eat them so I would swop it for some fresh clean hay and give the cage a good scrub out/disinfect.

Caz

hi,
i dont think they r hay mites but i would clean out the cage and put some new hay in, i buy my hay in bales but have never seen this. It could have been a old bale and bugs could have got in to it but in not sure
becky

The only hay i have until tomorrow is this buggy hay so i will have to leave him some to eat but will buy him some fresh 2 morrow

it is common for rabbits to catch mite if they sit on hay as hay can sometime be quite dusty, so mine sit on shaving and chopped straw but even normal straw is good for bedding as it is more absorbant and is a better bedding and perhaps just give the hay for him to eat

Thanks maybe i will try that as hay is not cheap from the petshop and he has a big cage!!!

Would straw on its own be alright for the cage floor? I heard that sawdust is bad for bunnies?

I wouldn't worry too much about the bugs, it's inevitable that you're gonna find bugs in baled hay. So long as you keep an eye out for any excessive scratching by your bun.

I hate to say it, but it's sometimes not only bugs you find :shock: :roll: , but it's usually better quality hay than the pet shop stuff.

bunnyhuggger said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the bugs, it's inevitable that you're gonna find bugs in baled hay. So long as you keep an eye out for any excessive scratching by your bun.

I hate to say it, but it's sometimes not only bugs you find :shock: :roll: , but it's usually better quality hay than the pet shop stuff.

No i found a massive dried up spider in mine i nearly died!!!!

:lol: Somebody else found a squished mouse :shock: . I've found old broken plastic bottles, but these things can't be helped. So long as you check the hay as you pull it out the bale and before you put it in the hutch, it should be fine.

bunnyhuggger said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the bugs, it's inevitable that you're gonna find bugs in baled hay.

I hate to say it, but it's sometimes not only bugs you find :shock: :roll: , quote]

I wish you had mentioned that before you gave me that huge bale, Lynda - now I'm scared to go into the cupboard where there is still half a bale lurking :shock: :shock:

lol Pam

linnyloo said:
Thanks maybe i will try that as hay is not cheap from the petshop and he has a big cage!!!

Would straw on its own be alright for the cage floor? I heard that sawdust is bad for bunnies?

yes sawdust is bad for bunnies but the large flaked stuff wood shavings r fine as long as its not too dusty if u just want to use straw by its self i would put some news paper or something underneath to help it absorb the moisture and shavings is the best for absobment
becky

bluebunny said:

No i found a massive dried up spider in mine i nearly died!!!![/quote]

EEEEEKKKKKK and double eek :!: :!: :!: I'm using my downstairs loo to store the hay in.... daren't venture in there now :shock: :shock:
BLUEGUY.GIF

Yuck :cry: I hate bugs............... :cry:

Once when Skip was in his run I noticed he was sitting in the corner very still , when I went out to check on him and bring him indoors I found a SNAKE under his run..... :eek:

Only a grass one mind, so he was fine but still a shock!! :wink: :!: :!:

100_0062.jpg

Xmas Linnyloo

Friends of mine in Maidenhead (hardly rural) found a snake in the straw they had used to protect a delicate, exotic plant for the winter. Don't think I'll be using my loo as a storage facility again. :shock:

I'll check with 'em what colour it was.... p.s. that legless thingy sure looks like a snake to me :!:

Back