• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnies on metacam forever

I remember asking JC about it last year, hang on let me find what he said...

Edit: Found it

Phillip's not had a blood test since he went on it 2 years ago but I figure he'd have no quality of life without it so it's a risk I'm prepared to take

Yeah I agree, Mousey loves her honey drugs. I prob won't repeat bloods though - the kidneys need to be pretty shot before anything shows up anyway

Our 9 year old Mini Lop has severe arthritis and is on Metacam for life. I too have had concerns about kidney damage, especially after talking with our vet about increasing his dosage.

After much research we decided to try a small dose of CBD Oil alongside his Metacam and the results were noticeable. His joints seem to be less inflamed and he can finally Binky again.

Our local vet was impressed with his progress and was happy for us to continue. Although I wouldn't stop using Metacam completely, this is definitely worth considering for long term pain relief.

That's really interesting - thanks for sharing. I think I spotted a post by another member mentioning CBD oil . Do you mind me asking a few questions? Just ignore if you do. Firstly I was wondering what country you are in? If its the UK was your CPD accessed via your vet or elsewhere? What dose did you find helped him?

I thought that might be JCs take on it :lol: i think i asked before too and he said no kidney investigations unless indication of problem starting

That's really interesting - thanks for sharing. I think I spotted a post by another member mentioning CBD oil . Do you mind me asking a few questions? Just ignore if you do. Firstly I was wondering what country you are in? If its the UK was your CPD accessed via your vet or elsewhere? What dose did you find helped him?

We're in the UK. In my experience vets don't advise using CBD Oil however when asked most vets don't discourage the use either (I would imagine due to it being a fairly new product they can't recommend it's use)

We use 2-3 drops of 2.5mg Organic oil and so far haven't needed to increase this. He was on Metacam for a year and although it relieved his pain to a point, he was still slower and quieter than normal. Been using the Oil for the last 6 months and his mobility is much better. He hasn't experienced any side effects either.

We discussed the use with our vet and weren't discouraged from using it however they did advise for us to use a low THC or THC free oil derived from hemp seed as THC is believed to be toxic to rabbits although many people would argue this. We chose THC free to be on the safe side.

It perhaps wouldn't work for all bunnies, but in my opinion its well worth a try.

Last edited:
We're in the UK. In my experience vets don't advise using CBD Oil however when asked most vets don't discourage the use either (I would imagine due to it being a fairly new product they can't recommend it's use)

We use 2-3 drops of 2.5mg Organic oil and so far haven't needed to increase this. He was on Metacam for a year and although it relieved his pain to a point, he was still slower and quieter than normal. Been using the Oil for the last 6 months and his mobility is much better. He hasn't experienced any side effects either.

We discussed the use with our vet and weren't discouraged from using it however they did advise for us to use a low THC or THC free oil derived from hemp seed as THC is believed to be toxic to rabbits although many people would argue this. We chose THC free to be on the safe side.

It perhaps wouldn't work for all bunnies, but in my opinion its well worth a try.

many thanks

My two cents...Mimzy was prescribed metacam from age 3 for early onset arthritis and I fully believe had he not been on it his head tilt would have been fatal. He took it to the end of his days (he was debilitated by a stroke or some such eventually) and although I think testing his blood showed elevated levels of something kidney related it never slowed him down. He took an extremely high dose each day twice a day and it helped him immensely.

My dog, Jenna, on the other hand has been on it exclusively for arthritis pain and glaucoma relief since March and I can already see it's not as beneficial to her as it was to Mimzy and her kidney values are already taking a hit. Rabbits can clear the medication from their systems faster than other mammals was my old vet's explanation for the difference.

Also we have 3 brands here: Metacam (name brand) Ostilox (loxicom, I think), and Meloxidyl...and of the two knock-offs/generics we've been forced to use due to the Metacam shortage, only Ostilox does anything to relieve Jenna's pain. Historically, Metacam is by far the best for her as she always did well on it, and my vet is exasperated with me because it's the one I want for her. We've gone around all last week on why it's more effective (in my opinion having seen the results in my animal.)

Plus the Meloxidyl, I'm convinced, has something in it that aggravates Jenna's chronic pancreatitis. So I think brands are different in some small way and particular in effect to the individual patient.

Couldn't get the vet to agree about this yesterday when I took Jenna in for a checkup and put the matter on the table after a very trying weekend of Jenna being very uncomfortable despite regular dosing of Meloxidyl. But we don't have our beloved Dr. J anymore so everything's an argument. The vet we saw also believes any animal taking NSAID's will see g.i. ulcers from the first few months after beginning the therapy and attributed her discomfort to that. Okay, then she should be just as painful on the Ostilox with that logic, but she is not. His conclusion doesn't explain the lack of effect from one brand that is supposed to contain the same medicine as the others, so it has to be an additive that's causing issues. Keep this is mind if you have to change brands and one is not having the same effect as another.

Mimzy also never had any trouble with metacam, that bunny had a cast iron stomach. But I think both Pip and Fiver could get some upset from it so it was imperative it was given at mealtime or with a protective agent for the stomach if they weren't eating. I never used Ostilox or Meloxidyl with them so have no comparison there.

If this is more confusing than edifying I apologise. This just happens to be the burr in my saddle lately and I'm curious too to see if anyone else is having this kind of concern with NSAID pain relief for their pet.

On the subject of regular bloods being drawn, well Jenna is a particularly hard stick so I try to minimize the times she's having a visit from the vampire. :( Sadly, as it's already been mentioned, by the time kidney issues surface, it's simply too late to change the inevitable. :(

ETA: CBD oil is highly controversial here for animal medicine. I would love to try it on Jenna, I know several people who swear by it, but the possible chance that it could raise her IOP rather than lower it or mess with her liver function is the reason I don't do it. My vet is very much against using it, probably due to it having no proper testing or science behind it's claims when it comes to giving it to pets. Until and unless I can see definite answers to what it can and cannot do or how it affects an animal in my care, it doesn't go past their lips.

Last edited:
Back