• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits not liking their new shed

Thumper123

Young Bun
Hi all, I have acquired 2 new bunnies (bonded girls around a year old). I’d didn’t think they were staying long so they were originally in a hutch and run with free run of the garden during the day.
They are staying now so I have purchased a shed for them to live in. I’ve put part of their hutch in so it’s familiar, and their trays that they use etc.
Last night was their first time in and they thumped all night! I’m sure the neighbours are loving me!
This morning it’s very rainy and they are opting for sitting in the rain rather than going back in (door is open).
Is there anything I can do, or do they just need to settle? They did eat last night and this morning and also used their trays overnight.
Thanks.

Hi all, I have acquired 2 new bunnies (bonded girls around a year old). I’d didn’t think they were staying long so they were originally in a hutch and run with free run of the garden during the day.
They are staying now so I have purchased a shed for them to live in. I’ve put part of their hutch in so it’s familiar, and their trays that they use etc.
Last night was their first time in and they thumped all night! I’m sure the neighbours are loving me!
This morning it’s very rainy and they are opting for sitting in the rain rather than going back in (door is open).
Is there anything I can do, or do they just need to settle? They did eat last night and this morning and also used their trays overnight.
Thanks.

I’d say it’s likely they’re still getting used to the new environment. Likely lots of new smells and noises etc which they aren’t used to, so it will take a little time for them to establish the shed as their own. Is it a new shed or has it been previously used for something else? Possibly with other animals? This could also explain it if they can smell other animals.

I’d just say make sure that you are putting lots of things that smell of them in it (toys/blankets etc.) but I’m sure with time they will settle. Also make sure they have a few hidey-houses/tunnels which they can escape to if they become frightened as this will help them feel more comfortable.

I’d say it’s likely they’re still getting used to the new environment. Likely lots of new smells and noises etc which they aren’t used to, so it will take a little time for them to establish the shed as their own. Is it a new shed or has it been previously used for something else? Possibly with other animals? This could also explain it if they can smell other animals.

I’d just say make sure that you are putting lots of things that smell of them in it (toys/blankets etc.) but I’m sure with time they will settle. Also make sure they have a few hidey-houses/tunnels which they can escape to if they become frightened as this will help them feel more comfortable.

Agree with this. Also always put their food in the shed so they come to associate it with nice things.

Thanks for both replies. Yes the shed is new, so no other animal smells in there. I do feed them in there in the morning and at night I feed them as they are put away (they are free in the garden during the day with the doors open for them).
Thankfully last night they thumped for a coupe of hours then it went quiet.
They have one hidey thing in there, so I’ll add another too. Thanks.

Thanks for both replies. Yes the shed is new, so no other animal smells in there. I do feed them in there in the morning and at night I feed them as they are put away (they are free in the garden during the day with the doors open for them).
Thankfully last night they thumped for a coupe of hours then it went quiet.
They have one hidey thing in there, so I’ll add another too. Thanks.

It sounds like they are getting used to it already & soon they'll truly appreciate all your efforts - lucky bunnies

Thank you, I hope so! We’ve ordered one of those runaround kits to add their run on, which I think will make them happier.
I was looking after them for a few weeks at the start of lockdown for the school I work in..now it appears they’re staying 😂

Thank you, I hope so! We’ve ordered one of those runaround kits to add their run on, which I think will make them happier.
I was looking after them for a few weeks at the start of lockdown for the school I work in..now it appears they’re staying ��

That is fantastic. Have a look on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website for loads of advice on diet, housing, etc.

Back