• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First time rabbit owner

Hi,

We got two new rabbits at the weekend and after reading through this forum I want to change what I am using in their hutch. They are currently in a large cage indoors until we Lino their hutch floors.

I was advised to buy Woodshavings from Pets at Home but I now understand they are not the best to use.

I was looking to order megazorb for their litter tray and placing some hay on top. Would you use megazorb for the rest of the cage? And hay as their bedding?

When moving to the outside hutch I’ll have Lino down on both floors and hay in their bed area? Is there anything else I need? Their litter tray will be there too.

Thanks x

Welcome to RU. Most people seem to use something like megazorb with lots of hay in large litter tray / underbed storage box - I do too. Putting megazorb on the base will be messy I expect. Maybe you could put some old bedding sheets, fleeces down on the base of their cage

Hello :wave: Another thing to bear in mind is that some bunnies, mine included, consider that weeing and pooing on hay is what they want to do. Something to be done whilst they eat. So, this is fine in the litter tray, but not so fine in any area you have designated as a sleeping area. In fact my bunnies regularly sleep in their litter tray. Your bunnies might not do this, but I know what would happen if I covered the lino on their shed floor with hay :) The lino will also be easier to clean without either hay or megazorb on top.

I tried Megazorb but hated it so I just put newspaper in the litter trays with hay on top. Bunnies like to do their toilet whilst chewing the hay. You could also try Carefresh or non-clumping cat litter. Rabbits don't use the bedroom for sleeping in usually. Hope your new Bunnies settle in well.

I also use the newspaper and hay combination in an underbed storage box as a litter tray

Richard
Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Another vote for underbed storage boxes with newspaper and hay. Mine destroy and wee over any fabrics so I never use them.

Also rabbits love to chew of fresh willow which can be easily foraged and can help prevent hutch and run chewing!

Back