• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

*Blind Bunny* Baby Bunnies

Hello,
We've recently bought a new rabbit (8 month old Flemish giant) and she gave birth to a suprise litter (of 5 kits) three days ago.
Unfortunately one of the kits has passed away, it was about a third of the size of the others.

We now have three very large kits and another one that is very small.
The mother is feeding the small one but it seems not much (it's perhaps getting pushed out by the larger kits at feeding time)
I've fed the small one 3ml of kitten milk and put back into the nest.

Just wondering if anyone on here with more experience could give me any advice?
Is it likely that we will lose the smaller kit?
Is it normal to lose one or two babies? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello,
We've recently bought a new rabbit (8 month old Flemish giant) and she gave birth to a suprise litter (of 5 kits) three days ago.
Unfortunately one of the kits has passed away, it was about a third of the size of the others.

We now have three very large kits and another one that is very small.
The mother is feeding the small one but it seems not much (it's perhaps getting pushed out by the larger kits at feeding time)
I've fed the small one 3ml of kitten milk and put back into the nest.

Just wondering if anyone on here with more experience could give me any advice?
Is it likely that we will lose the smaller kit?
Is it normal to lose one or two babies? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Hello

There is some good information and advice on here :

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

The runt of the litter tends to do quite well, so I have read, and the move could have upset Mum but you weren't to know that she was pregnant. Good luck with them.

Mum is very friendly but very wary of us as we've not had her long. Got the smaller baby feeding from Mum last night (although she didn't tolerate it for long) been out this morning and the baby has a lovely round belly.

Will the baby always be smaller than the others or will it catch up? Is this something to be concerned about? Can it be perfectly healthy but just smaller?

Thank you for all your advice

Mum is very friendly but very wary of us as we've not had her long. Got the smaller baby feeding from Mum last night (although she didn't tolerate it for long) been out this morning and the baby has a lovely round belly.

Will the baby always be smaller than the others or will it catch up? Is this something to be concerned about? Can it be perfectly healthy but just smaller?

Thank you for all your advice

The runt of a litter may never grow as big as his/her siblings. But that does not necessarily mean that the runt will have health problems. The only exception being if the runt is actually a 'Peanut', a Kit who has inherited a double Dwarf gene

http://hollyshollands.weebly.com/bl...xt=A peanut is a kit,But they will always die.

* WARNIG- SOME PEOPLE MAY FIND THIS VIDEO OF A PEANUT KIT UPSETTING TO VIEW*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8trNWSOZ78

Last edited:
Blind bunny

Hello, our tiny baby bunny has been doing really well and is rapidly gaining weight.

The babies are just over two weeks old now and have all opened their eyes.

The tiny bunny is an albino bunny, she has one normal looking eye but the other looks cloudy, it's a solid pink eye. She's also very clumsy compared to the others and is always falling over (not sure if that's related to the eye issue)

Is it likely that she's blind in one eye, or could this be down to an infection? Theres no gunk coming from the eye and it's not swollen just cloudy looking.

Does anyone have any experience with blind bunnies on here?

Thanks

Hello, our tiny baby bunny has been doing really well and is rapidly gaining weight.

The babies are just over two weeks old now and have all opened their eyes.

The tiny bunny is an albino bunny, she has one normal looking eye but the other looks cloudy, it's a solid pink eye. She's also very clumsy compared to the others and is always falling over (not sure if that's related to the eye issue)

Is it likely that she's blind in one eye, or could this be down to an infection? Theres no gunk coming from the eye and it's not swollen just cloudy looking.

Does anyone have any experience with blind bunnies on here?

Thanks

Hello again

I am glad that the little Runt is still with you. My one thought when you mention his/her eye abnormality is a condition called Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC). In new born Kits EC can damage the lens of the eye(s). EC will have been passed from the Mother Rabbit to her Kits in untero. EC infection could also explain the Kit's small size. The other Kits may also be affected but are as yet asymptomatic. If this were to be the case you will need to discuss treatment of the Doe and all her Kits with your Vet.

EC is a complex condition but these links provide some information about it

https://www.dovepress.com/encephali...-manageme-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-VMRR

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

http://www.greendale.co.uk/cuniculi_disease.html

I would contact your Vet for further advice, good luck :)

Back