• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus isn't well :(

my only issue is some of the vets at my vets4pets don't even like doing a blood glucose test or are not even willing to do one for some reason :/ last time the vet said they don't have strips for buns only cats and dogs.. Idek.. My vet said that was bs when I asked her
Our vet, when taking blood from Aboleth for general testing when she was on her last legs, said the machine was set up for cats at the time but the results wouldn't be out enough for there to be any real difference, but the ranges quoted by the machine (and whether the results were within etc.) would be totally wrong. He said as long as you look up the ranges yourself it doesn't matter so much, and he did that for us of course because he's a good vet :)

I hope Atticus has improved overnight xx

Thanks everyone for the support, I really appreciate it.

Was a rough night, he went really down hill, I caved and gave him cisapride, I know I shouldn't have, I do feel bad about it.

Anyway I also spent a long time massaging his belly gently. About an hour after he started getting more springy and then started nibbling hay :)

He's still nibbling here and there, output is well, not enough but there's been more and its all a mess, but he doesn't do normal bun output so tbh it's what I'd expect.

I'm hoping he continues to pick up, he seems way more comfortable now though, last night I really thought I might lose him :(

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Sounds like whatever you did has helped him Graciee, hope he continues nibbling and pooing. Big hugs you must be exhausted xx

Thanks both xx
Sounds like whatever you did has helped him Graciee, hope he continues nibbling and pooing. Big hugs you must be exhausted xx
Yea Evelyn didn't go to sleep til 5.30am either [emoji21][emoji21] was a very rough night xx

Sorry I missed this last night Gracie but I am so happy to you managed to get him more comfortable, You got to do what you got to do no judgies here. Sending vibes that he will continue to feel better xxx

So pleased to read that he is doing a bit better now. I'd keep going with the Cisapride until you get to speak with a Bunny Savvy Vet.

Sending lots more vibes for him and I hope that Evelyn sleeps better tonight too. You must be knackered !

Graciee,
I do not know how you can function after a rough night caring for Evelyn and Atticus. Hopefully tonight will be better now that you got Atticus on the mend. Hugs.

Graciee,
I do not know how you can function after a rough night caring for Evelyn and Atticus. Hopefully tonight will be better now that you got Atticus on the mend. Hugs.
I've adapted to only need about 4 hours sleep every day [emoji38] she was sleeping better, we actually got 7 straight hours once.. And a few 6 hours, a few nights in a row, I felt like a new human.. But she's been going through something the last few days, plus her vaccinations made her a bit more fussy.. So we seem to have gone back to her wanting to feed constantly from midnight til around 4/5am then go to bed.. I'm hoping it's another cluster feed situation and it'll be over soon [emoji51]

Atticus is eating hay! There's been a lot of bad output and diarrhoea.. But again normal for one of his episodes tbh.. But I'm so glad he's now nomming hay [emoji7] I wish there was something I could do for him though long term, he gets so ill, like he all splayed out but looking so bad :(

I've adapted to only need about 4 hours sleep every day [emoji38] she was sleeping better, we actually got 7 straight hours once.. And a few 6 hours, a few nights in a row, I felt like a new human.. But she's been going through something the last few days, plus her vaccinations made her a bit more fussy.. So we seem to have gone back to her wanting to feed constantly from midnight til around 4/5am then go to bed.. I'm hoping it's another cluster feed situation and it'll be over soon [emoji51]

Atticus is eating hay! There's been a lot of bad output and diarrhoea.. But again normal for one of his episodes tbh.. But I'm so glad he's now nomming hay [emoji7] I wish there was something I could do for him though long term, he gets so ill, like he all splayed out but looking so bad :(

So pleased to hear that Atticus is back on the hay :D Megacolon like problems really are awful, you have my empathy as the effected Bunny can become very ill very quickly. I hope that he will get back to a more normal (for him) output in a couple of days.

Sorry we're late to this thread. Really sorry to hear of the issues with Atticus. You are doing exactly the right things Graciee - managing Atticus to get him past the hurdles until you can get him to the vet on monday. Absolutely the right thing to do. I know how challenging and stressful that is but your hard work and effort is visible in how Atticus is responding.
Sending millions of vibes for Atticus and hope you can get him to the vet tomorrow.
Craig xx

Back