• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a Dwarf

KandTheBuns

New Kit
Hi! I have 3 rabbits, a 4 yr old female, a 2 yr old male and a 4 (approx) yr old male. They’re all adopted/rescues and none of them have ever lived with another rabbit to my knowledge. (All spayed/neutered).

Personality wise Dora, the 4 yr old female Netherlands dwarf is... highly strung. Much like a small dog she thinks she’s far bigger and more in charge than she is and she grunts and stamps and charges around like she owns the house (she’s adorable despite it haha). I wouldn’t say she’s bitey but she’s the only one of the 3 that’s ever nipped me before.

Last year I tried to bond her with the 2 yr old male and it was instant carnage. I did it by the book as far as I can see - neutral territory, no toys to get territorial over, put him in first, all very calm on my side. She growled at him, ears back, charged and promptly bit him (not badly but it did break the skin). I tried again the next day and same result - it turned into a tight circle of flying fur. So I gave up on that because the boy was only young and I didn’t want to sabotage any future bonding experiences for him!

Sooo fast forward to this morning I’ve tried Dora and the 4 yr old male. He’s a big french lop, and the sweetest temperament. He’s so relaxed, all he cares about it having some hay to munch and a comfy spot for a nap. He’s also never lived with another bun, but I’ve had their runs in the garden side by side all week and they were stretching out next to each other and very calm so I thought great! This is going to be love!

Tried it this morning and it went the same as before. He sat one end, I don’t think he’d even registered she was there yet and she instantly charged him, bit his ear (again not badly but there is a mark). I split it up but did manage to end it on a positive note with one down one end of the pen and one down the other both eating some nuggets. But I kept having to move her back away from him because even with a mouthful of food she was trying to go for him.

Sorry for such a long post but basically my question is where do I go from here? This is my first time bonding rabbits but I’ve read up so much on it I can’t see where I’m going wrong (although tell me if I am please!). I know my buns very well, I really wasnt misreading her body language, she literally growled at him aha. Do I just need to persevere? I feel like I’m failing by having 3 rabbits and none of them have friends, but I don’t want a bloodbath. Or do you just have to initially allow some biting and fighting and then it’ll calm down? I’m conscious of a) their size different and b) his lovely droopy ears that are prime targets for biting.

Any help, Advice, thoughts and prayers all welcome! Thankyou!

First of all, you’re definitely not failing by having 3 single bunnies!

Everyone has different opinions on how to bond. Personally, if I were in your situation and you feel that bonding the rabbits will give them a both a better quality of life & is in the best interests of both of them (this should always be the main aim of bonding), then I’d persevere. When I bonded my pair of free roam house rabbits it was very difficult to begin with as the original rabbit was/still is very dominant and she would growl, bite and launch for the new bunny whenever she got the chance (she could definitely do serious damage if I let her). Therefore, I chose to use a small amount of stress bonding by putting them both in 1/2 of a bath tub to start off with for short periods & increase the space as behaviour improved (ie allow access to more of bathtub/then move to small playpen/then larger play pen/room etc). This worked for me, they are now happily bonded, but I am aware some people don’t agree with this method. However this was the best option we had in order to prevent injury (I did not allow my rabbits to bite or hurt one another, but that is again personal preference and some would say otherwise). Always remember to end bonding on a positive note as you have already mentioned and food is a good option to get them comfortable around one another & create positive associations. Hope this helps and hopefully it will work out for you!

Thank you for your reply To be honest I’m feeling so desperate about the whole situation! I wonder whether it’s not neutral enough territory for a very territorial girl? I’m considering a little car ride to my sisters house and a session ina different house might help. Will defo consider the bath tub though. Ahhh it’s so stressful all I want to do is have them happy and bonded! C

Have you tried bonding the boys first? It may be a lot easier. Then do a long, slow bond with her on one side of mesh and the boys on the other. Be prepared to just leave them like this for months, until there is no aggression / they ignore each other / they seem to get on through the mesh. Then think about bonding the trio on neutral territory.

Thank you for your reply To be honest I’m feeling so desperate about the whole situation! I wonder whether it’s not neutral enough territory for a very territorial girl? I’m considering a little car ride to my sisters house and a session ina different house might help. Will defo consider the bath tub though. Ahhh it’s so stressful all I want to do is have them happy and bonded! C

Short rides are definitely an option I’d say, even though I haven’t used them myself. Some don’t agree with this but I would say it could be a good way for the bunnies to find comfort in one another & it’s unlikely your girl would try to bite him in that situation. Definitely make sure you clean the area you will be bonding first if there is potentially smells of your female and always use freshly washed blankets etc. Good luck!

Back