• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bad weather...should I bring them inside?

Rackeluk

Warren Scout
Just a quick one, Max my boy rabbit lives outside permanently, Lily my doe lives outside during the day and inside at night, she’s tiny and only 11 weeks old.

My question is, we are getting bad rain at the moment, I feel really bad that they are outside when the rain is so bad, would they be okay if I took them inside when the weather is bad and outside when the weather is fine? I e read that the switch in temperature could be bad.

It is better if you keep either to inside or out. It is especially important in the cold weather when a big difference in temperature is not good for Bunnies. The other point is Rabbits don't like too many changes, being territorial animals. Have you got a Puppy Pen or similar you can put them both in and get them bonded? Then they can go back outside together.

As long as they've got somewhere to hide from the rain/wind they'll be fine. They're usually pretty good at moving themselves into the place they should be. Here's a picture of Lopsy having been out in the recent rain because he wanted fresh food rather than just hay (available in the inside places): https://photos.app.goo.gl/g51cVw68JH4Wh9DVA

Lopsy's been outside all his life (except 4m over his first winter with us, when he was ill) and even when he was on his own, as long as his indoor area wasn't getting wet he was fine. His previous companion, Aboleth, really didn't like the rain as much and would usually seek shelter pretty quickly, and stay there until it was dry underfoot, as she hated having wet feet too.

I have a tarpaulin over the hutches, as soon as I hear rain I go into manic mode and run out to cover the hutches and runs, we are in the process of building a rabbit enclosure that will have a proper roof on it so this is temporary but I was also over thinking winter.
Max doesn’t mind a little rain and will sit out in the run under it, it’s funny when I cover the run with tarpaulin, Max runs out and looks out underneath it haha

It is better if you keep either to inside or out. It is especially important in the cold weather when a big difference in temperature is not good for Bunnies. The other point is Rabbits don't like too many changes, being territorial animals. Have you got a Puppy Pen or similar you can put them both in and get them bonded? Then they can go back outside together.

Just ordered a soft playpen, as soon as it arrives I’m going to start the bonding again, I’m going to sleep in the same room as them so I can keep an eye on them during the night and make sure they are okay with each other.

Prepping bonding session...
OmAyneP.jpg

Prepping bonding session...
OmAyneP.jpg

Not much advice on the bringing the rabbits inside as I am very much an advocate of house rabbits for a number of reasons.

But I will just note that I personally wouldn’t put tunnels/hidey houses in the area you will be bonding the rabbits until their bond has been cemented. Mainly because one rabbit could corner another rabbit and get hurt (especially if the female is very young and fragile), also you just want to be able to see/access them at all times when bonding. I also probably wouldn’t put toys in either as one rabbit may get possessive over them. I’d try to keep it as plain as possible (just hay, water and treats if you choose to use them).

I was taking everything out when I saw your message, I left the house in as Lily sleeps in it every night but I see what you mean I’ll make changes now.

Also I’ve been trying to find a way of letting them go in the cage by themselves but I can’t fence the area off and leave the lid off

Last edited:
I’m afraid a lot of rabbits would chew their way out of that playpen in a few minutes. I know someone who put her rabbit in one, in the time she went to the toilet the rabbit had got out! I would agree with not using any furniture during bonding, particularly anything a rabbit would have used previously, as they do tend to claim areas of the bonding pen. I even had to remove the litter tray when I last bonded!

Back