• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building a tall bunny run need advice

Rackeluk

Warren Scout
Okay so we’ve just landscaped the garden and allocated an area for the bunnies, I have a space of 7ft by 5ft and about 6ft high, the hutch will need to go in the area and we are going to build round it, I’m planning on putting some ramps as Max loves to jump and go up and down the ramps we have, I’m just wondering if it will be safe putting up ramps so high?

I don't think I'd make a ramp higher than 2ft. I have a 6ft high aviary divided into three floors so a 2ft high ramp up to one platform and then a 2ft high one to another platform.

The hutch just needs to be off the ground to keep damp out. Rabbits often like hiding underneath them, so raised about 30cm / 1' off the ground will be plenty of space, and a ramp would be ok, although probably not needed. Having ramps at any significant height would give a risk of falling off the edge and potential injury, so it would need sides (or use a tunnel or pipe).

I have a 7 x 5 shed lived in by 2 Rabbits, they also have an area on slabs so they can sit outside. They also come out for a run around the garden as well so they can do a sprint! Has the hutch already got a ramp in it? A ramp mustn't be too steep especially for your boy. There are examples of set-ups on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website and on Pinterest just to give you some idea. Also in this Forum's Housing Section.

Thank you, yes the hutch has a ramp, I felt it was too steep so I split it in two and cross them over so it was a two ramp split instead of one, he often just jumps down though and doesn’t use the ramp.
I’ve seen a couple on Pinterest I like, we are not professional builders though so we’re going to try our best, a pipe up to platforms may be a good idea xx

I would happily build things very high for my bunnies to go on, but I'd add something like a barrier or railings to anything over 2.5' because Lopsy is about as clumsy as it gets and will fall off everything. Or intentionally launch himself off :roll: I know (some) indoor bunnies use the tops of massive cat trees just like cats, only unlike cats they don't always land on their feet if they fall :S Certainly some indoor bunnies have been on tops of wardrobes :roll: :lol: (Was that Tamsin's wildie?)

We have a 7ft by 5ft paved area to build on, we wasn’t sure what was best, the hutch is quite large, it’s 7ft by 3ft.

Okay so everything re measured and were looking at building an 8ft by 6ft by 6ft enclosure for them, I’m contacting custom bespoke builders, too bigger job for us.

Last edited:
It wouldn’t be too big a job if you do it by using panels. They are easy to make and put together. If his hutch is 7x3ft that will take up most of the run space. I think I would just get rid of the hutch and swap it for a 4ft hutch, and take the door off it. If it’s only to be used as a safe space, you’ll probably find he will never go in it. As long as the pen is waterproof he will be fine with that. I would put the hutch up higher and run a platform up to it. I’m not sure how to post pics but I have done similar.

We’ve just ordered this one, what do you think?

WLl7fOI.jpg

I think you need to spend more time thinking about this before spending money. We've all done the same but these open runs get wet in the winter with the wind and rain and the bunnies would have to stay in the hutch. I am not trying to put you off just pointing out the down-side. Will it be positioned in a sheltered spot from the sun? What about a small shed say 6 x 4 with a run attached. The outside area would then be smaller but more able to be sheltered from wind and rain. You can get a shed with the length going across the front so bunnies could come and go from shed to outdoor area and stay nice and cosy in the winter.

I think it looks good.

If it is an issue, you can easily add plastic panels round the outside at key points to provide some extra weather protection - either perspex sheeting or twinwall polycarbonate sheeting (eg from Wickes, etc) screwed on to the outside of the main frame. Depending on location, either a couple of whole sides or just a 2' wind barrier round the bottom. As there is a solid roof, it will give a lot more protection from sun & rain than a meshed roof anyway. If you are worried about cats, it would provide more protection from them as well - although it's more of an issue if they can get their paws through the mesh as some may go 'fishing' for the bunnies and claws can cause a lot of damage. Smaller mesh will keep cat paws out.

It will be covered on two sides by fencing and our shed, we have awning that we are going to use as sun shade but the sun rises from behind the fence and ends behind the house so covered. They will have access to the garden daily via a tube tunnel we are going to add onto the enclosure, we are looking to add rope bridges, shelf’s and bedding boxes for them.

Back