• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter tray

Ranj77

Young Bun
What can we use in the litter tray that is effective, Safe, removes smell and doesn’t cost the earth? I’m based in the U.K.

We currently use carefresh in a large plastic storage container so we are using loads each time. We also put hay on top of the carefresh. Thanks

I just use newspaper, in a shallow underbed, low sided storage box, with a thick layer of hay on the top.

My upstairs bunnies have wood based cat litter topped with loads of hay. Sometimes I use Megazorb which I've noticed is loads more expensive online than from the equestrian shop we used to buy it from. My lounge bunny just has newspaper with hay which is fine so long as you change it daily

I use one of the 6" high underbed storage boxes and put two 'scoops' (a plastic plant holder about the size of a large muesli bowl) of recycled paper pellets in, shoved to the side I think they'll wee, then hay on top if that's not the one under the hayrack. The cat-branded pellets are cheaper at P@H but online might be even better value. I also have three engineering drip trays and a small cat litter tray which have newspaper, sometimes pellets too, as sometimes mine will decide they want to go somewhere else (I blame them being outdoor and so reacting to different smells etc.). I put hay in all of them in winter but in summer they sometimes just dig it out. They're pretty good at moving the pellets to pick up their wee TBH :)

Thanks Everyone. I should have said that our bunny is an indoor bunny. For those using just newspaper, is your bunny indoor? I'm guessing it would smell after a while...? Links to alternative options would be highly appreciated.

I use underbed storage boxes with Auboise/Burlybed as a base and hay on top. Outdoor buns but very little smell as the Auboise/Burlybed is pretty absorbent and tends to drag any moisture downwards leaving the top part dry. Not that expensive either as I can get a bale for £8-£12 (depends on which) that easily lasts a month.

If it is smelling, it needs cleaning out more often - spot cleaning daily is a minimum. I find that my outdoor rabbits need the trays completely emptying and disinfecting twice a week, as well as daily spot cleaning. Using a thinner absorbent layer and changing it more frequently works out cheaper, and better on the odour front. I buy the biggest / cheapest bags of paper based litter I can find (online or at B&M stores). Newspaper also makes it easier to empty the trays. Hay on top keeps it all in the tray and gives the rabbits a reason to use them.

All 6 of mine have 32 litre underbed storage boxes with newspaper and hay. The 4 outside ones also use their run for toileting.

Back