• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

treats.........

Nose rubs? If there not old enough for veg they aren't old enough for anything else treat wise. At such a young age they are very prone to stomach upsets especially without their mum their. Plain foods are best.

Tam

On the subject of treats, I love chocolate and eat your normal Cadbury's etc. However, a treat for me is your top notch Belgian chocs. So, surely a treat for a bunny would be better quality hay rather than something processed for a different animal/human to eat.

My guys - whatever age they are - never get any treats with two exceptions: at Christmas and Easter they all get a treat bar... :roll:

I totaly agree, there is one thing though, if you can get hold of some small branches of apple, pear or cherry tree they may like that. If they do they will strip the bark off and do their teeth the world of good. I dont agree with giving treats such as the ones from the pet shops because they are held together with honey[ very bad for them]. Try and stick to natural treats like fruit tree branches unusual veggies, alpalph hay, reddie grass thing like that. Think of your rabbit as a child and only give them whot is good for them. val

luvabun said:
On the subject of treats, I love chocolate and eat your normal Cadbury's etc. However, a treat for me is your top notch Belgian chocs. So, surely a treat for a bunny would be better quality hay rather than something processed for a different animal/human to eat.

i meant rolled oats, or digestive buscuit or something not chocolate or rubbish like that, they go mad when they see me feeding veg to there mother..... so i wondered if there was anything else i could give them.

luvabun said:

i meant rolled oats, or digestive buscuit or something not chocolate or rubbish like that, they go mad when they see me feeding veg to there mother..... so i wondered if there was anything else i could give them.

taylor v 109 said:
I totaly agree, there is one thing though, if you can get hold of some small branches of apple, pear or cherry tree they may like that. If they do they will strip the bark off and do their teeth the world of good. I dont agree with giving treats such as the ones from the pet shops because they are held together with honey[ very bad for them]. Try and stick to natural treats like fruit tree branches unusual veggies, alpalph hay, reddie grass thing like that. Think of your rabbit as a child and only give them whot is good for them. val

i did not mean rubbish just wondered if they could have rolled oats or something like that, they have apple tree branches but what is "unusual vegs"

I don't give my buns any stick treats, biscuits, yoghurt drops or anything like that. Like malocclusion, dental caries are becoming very common in rabbit's teeth. Giving only occasionally like Vera does is ok, but not on a regular basis. I give mine little bits of fresh fruit as a real treat.

As for babies, I wouldn't risk giving them anything containing refined sugar.

Just wondering how old these rabbits are. From what I understand if babies grow up on vegetables and stuff, they haven't got a problem with them - after all, wild rabbits are not reared on dry food either, but start off on the same fresh grass as the adults. The problems occur if they have been reared on dry food only (as most pet shop/breeder rabbits are). Their digestive system is particularly sensitive until they are about three months old and during that time they don't tolerate diet changes very well. So therefore the problem is not the greens, but the diet change (introduction of greens if not reared on them). But because the history of rabbits is usually not known and because many breeders don't feed greens, it is generally recommended not to feed them any until they are about three months old - to be on the safe side.

I have seen a litter being reared on greens, the same diet as the parents were eating, withouth any problems at all.

Anyone correct me please if this is totally wrong...

Vera

bunnylove said:

sorry, but aren't rolled oats or digestive biscuits prepared for human consumption as well? Still don't seem natural bunny fodder to me.

LurcherGirl said:
Just wondering how old these rabbits are. From what I understand if babies grow up on vegetables and stuff, they haven't got a problem with them - after all, wild rabbits are not reared on dry food either, but start off on the same fresh grass as the adults. The problems occur if they have been reared on dry food only (as most pet shop/breeder rabbits are). Their digestive system is particularly sensitive until they are about three months old and during that time they don't tolerate diet changes very well. So therefore the problem is not the greens, but the diet change (introduction of greens if not reared on them). But because the history of rabbits is usually not known and because many breeders don't feed greens, it is generally recommended not to feed them any until they are about three months old - to be on the safe side.

I have seen a litter being reared on greens, the same diet as the parents were eating, withouth any problems at all.

Anyone correct me please if this is totally wrong...

hi there my babies are eight weeks old and born from my doe, when i first got rabbits just over a year ago i was told you could not feed veg, until there 6 months old, so i have lived by this.....but they drive me mad ha ha !!!! when i feed there mum veg because they try and fight her for it... so i was wondering if there was any little healthy treat i could give to take there mind of it.....
Vera

luvabun said:
bunnylove said:

sorry, but aren't rolled oats or digestive biscuits prepared for human consumption as well? Still don't seem natural bunny fodder to me.

rolled oats is porriage just wheat and the same for digestive busciuts
so i dont see the problem with giving them ever so often as a treat unless you know of a reason not to?

digestive biscuits contain lots of sugar and butter as well as other processed ingredients, rolled oats are just oats rolled flat. To be perfectly honest bunnylove, I have never given my rabbits rolled oats but I know that others have, it's just I'm not sure if it's safe to give them to baby buns :? . Definitely would not advise the digestive biscuits or any type of biscuit though :no: . It must be quite frustrating for you watching them going nuts every time :lol:

bunnyhuggger said:
digestive biscuits contain lots of sugar and butter as well as other processed ingredients, rolled oats are just oats rolled flat. To be perfectly honest bunnylove, I have never given my rabbits rolled oats but I know that others have, it's just I'm not sure if it's safe to give them to baby buns :? . Definitely would not advise the digestive biscuits or any type of biscuit though :no: . It must be quite frustrating for you watching them going nuts every time :lol:
#

its is frustrating i fill like i am doing them an injustise, in my human sense... and its is difficiut as one persons advise will differ to someone elses so its hard to know whats right to give and whats wrong... i was told you cant give veg until they are 6 months old but heard other say different how do you know what to do for the best?
thanks

The advice that I have usually heard is no veg until 3 months old (this is the time when the digestive system becomes a bit more stable and stronger) - because as mentioned most bunnies are not weened onto veg at all! So it's best to be safe unless you are absolutely sure they are used to it.

Other than that, I can only speak from experience: I once gave a baby bunny (Sunny) one small piece of broccoli at around 8 weeks old... and he very nearly died on me of GI stasis. Now whether that was connected to that piece of broccoli or not I will never know, but it has made me very careful.
Since then, I gradually introduce vegetables (one by one in very small quantities) when they are about 3 months old. So far, I have not had any problems with this. I currently have a lionhead lop, he is 4 months old and has been on veg for 4 weeks. The first two weeks he got very little, increased to about half the normal amount. For the last two weeks or so, he has had the normal allowance - no digestive trouble at all, poos as nice as always!

Ultimately it is your decision. Read all the facts, comments and opinions and then make an educated decision. When you introduce veg, do it very carefully, one by one (so you know whether bunny gets on alright with one particular veg and to give the digestive system time to adjust - meaning to create the adequate bacteria - to new foods) and in small amounts.

Vera

LurcherGirl said:
The advice that I have usually heard is no veg until 3 months old (this is the time when the digestive system becomes a bit more stable and stronger) - because as mentioned most bunnies are not weened onto veg at all! So it's best to be safe unless you are absolutely sure they are used to it.

Other than that, I can only speak from experience: I once gave a baby bunny (Sunny) one small piece of broccoli at around 8 weeks old... and he very nearly died on me of GI stasis. Now whether that was connected to that piece of broccoli or not I will never know, but it has made me very careful.
Since then, I gradually introduce vegetables (one by one in very small quantities) when they are about 3 months old. So far, I have not had any problems with this. I currently have a lionhead lop, he is 4 months old and has been on veg for 4 weeks. The first two weeks he got very little, increased to about half the normal amount. For the last two weeks or so, he has had the normal allowance - no digestive trouble at all, poos as nice as always!

Ultimately it is your decision. Read all the facts, comments and opinions and then make an educated decision. When you introduce veg, do it very carefully, one by one (so you know whether bunny gets on alright with one particular veg and to give the digestive system time to adjust - meaning to create the adequate bacteria - to new foods) and in small amounts.

Vera

so what is the daily allowance of veg for an adult rabbit?

I give my 2 a bowl full in the morning and one when we get home from work around 6.30. They only have one bowl between the two of them though!

Back