• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New born bunny

I have a 4-day old bunny who's mother killed all but one she laid on them crushing them I need some tips and tricks to keep this little one alive when I found them this one was very skinny bearly alive I fed and cleaned it but any information will be greatly appreciated thank
a5b9bacad87a3748875a65234ec91264.jpg
d312bb460d3ff895ebae1f5f01182f22.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

I have a 4-day old bunny who's mother killed all but one she laid on them crushing them I need some tips and tricks to keep this little one alive when I found them this one was very skinny bearly alive I fed and cleaned it but any information will be greatly appreciated thank

He will die without his mother's milk.

You need to supervise the feeding, holding him up to her teet and making sure she doesn't hurt him.

If there is no mother, you must find a surrogate immediately.

He will die without his mother's milk.

You need to supervise the feeding, holding him up to her teet and making sure she doesn't hurt him.

If there is no mother, you must find a surrogate immediately.
Yes that's what I've been doing and It's survived almost 2 days since she killed the rest of them and it seems to be doing well

She tried to kill him so I took him and yes I have been forcing her to feed him by laying her on her back and letting him nurse till he's nice around and he has fur from the best and us nice and warm with a heating pad turned to low on half of it's a box I have had some different opinions on how many time to feed him is it every 2 hours or twice- three times a day I fed three times yesterday and it seemed to be ok and slept the rest of the time

Sorry for the short reply, I hand reared a litter of abandoned rabbits using this guidance so some bits may be useful for you:

https://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/health/hand-rearing/

There is usually a reason for mum to kill babies, ie she is stressed, kits aren't healthy etc, she isn't fit enough so I would look into how she is coping also
She's been fin I think the best box was too big for her and I think a barn cat tried to get into the cage and stressed her out cause she pulled away too much hair her belly was raw and red she's doing better now that I took the baby away and moved her into a different area but I found the easiest way to feed the baby is off the mom so I have been holding her and letting the baby nurse twice- three times a day she has never done this before she usually is the best at caring for her babies she's had around three litters and all but this one have survived

It sounds like you are doing well, I wish I could help more.

Will you be thinking of getting mummy neutered? It might be best for her own health and to prevent this from happening again. She might have some underlying health issue.

It sounds like you are doing well, I wish I could help more.

Will you be thinking of getting mummy neutered? It might be best for her own health and to prevent this from happening again. She might have some underlying health issue.
No, but this was an accidental litter I have sold all the males and only have a neutered male bunny who lives in a different part of the house cause they were fighting I will not be breeding again I actually never meant to breed but someone gave me a male bunny but said it was a female then I couldn't keep him away so I had to rehome him

No, but this was an accidental litter I have sold all the males and only have a neutered male bunny who lives in a different part of the house cause they were fighting I will not be breeding again I actually never meant to breed but someone gave me a male bunny but said it was a female then I couldn't keep him away so I had to rehome him

It really would be in the Mums best interests to spay her. For her emotional wellbeing as much as her physical. The majority of unspayed females develop uterine cancer. She would be much happier if spayed :)

I don't have the money to get her and my three other female fixed it's almost $500 each rabbit where im from not very realistic

I don't have the money to get her and my three other female fixed it's almost $500 each rabbit where im from not very realistic

Not much advice on the baby rabbit as I do not have experience in this. But I will strongly advise you to get your rabbits spayed as it is vital to their health. By the age of 5, an unspayed female rabbit has an 80% chance of developing uterine cancer which is fatal in most cases. Unspayed females also tend to be very hormonal which can cause territorial behaviour and aggression. If finances are the issue here in not getting them spayed, then please reach out to your local animal/rabbit rescue who may help you fund the spays, as well as also getting in contact with your vet to see if they will offer some financial flexibility in lowering the price for you where possible.

There are some other members from Canada. I know Canada is huge but maybe you could start a thread in Rabbit Chat to see if they can recommend any good vets near you

Back