• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free range in kitchen?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Some of you may know we had to split Bigwig (female) from the trio with my older pair Jake and Jasmine as she was fighting with them/guarding food etc. We finally got the blood test to check for ovarian remnant syndrome and to our surprise her progesterone levels came back normal so she was spayed fully despite her behaviour. For the time being she is being kept in an XXL dog crate with attached pen but this isn't a permanent solution, she does get let out which she enjoys but she also pulls up the carpet and scent poo/wee's and gets very aggressive with us so this time often can be a bit difficult. She has already destroyed the lino and carpet underneath in our spare bedroom (where she was kept in the trio) and our landlord is obviously very unhappy about this. We have of course agreed to have the carpet replaced when we move out but can't have her destroying it elsewhere.

We are now thinking of her future, ideally I think Bigwig would suite a very secure outdoor home, but our current garden is not big enough (just a small gravel area) with an equally confident male who could cope with her bullyish behaviour! Until then, we are thinking of giving her more space by having her free range in our kitchen which is lino which she hopefully won't be able to damage. The kitchen is big, we would easily be able to block off our fridge the rest is all secure/she can't get underneath anything else. Is there any dangers to keeping a rabbit in a kitchen, ie around cooking or anything like that? We do have our dining table in there but since that belongs to us we are not too worried that she will no doubt chew it :lol: She gets plenty of enrichment and we have been working on her behaviour etc and use pet remedy spray.

I'd be worrying about falling over them etc. when they're running around under my feet :lol: I reckon Lopsy would, given the chance, jump up onto the counters, even at his age now :roll: We have a couple of stools they might chew. Kitchen units might be a target too. Could they get behind the oven/sink or are they integrated?

To be clear, if mine ever were in though house they'd totally be freeranging and the kitchen would just be another place they can go, I just did all the things I personally worry about XD

Thank you! Everything else is integrated so nowhere to get behind apparent from our stand alone fridge. Tbh we don't do much cooking, as my partner works evenings and I don't like cooking for myself. The counters are very high, although Bigwig can jump high... One to think about!

Any other ideas on this? What I'm finding seems to be concerns regarding practicality for us, re tripping on her etc but we used to have 3 buns free range our flat (Inc open kitchen) and they had access to the front door and we coped fine so hopefully will be ok. Was more wondering if it's any harm to her being in a kitchen. If she does chew the cupboards we'll have to reassess as we can't be replacing everything.

I can't see any issues apart from the tripping & other obvious ones like spilling hot stuff on her. same as having a toddler really.
i'm sure you will be careful.

My rabbits free roam in our kitchen part time (split between my bedroom & our kitchen - they are free roam in both). I haven’t had any problems with this, other than some chewing of skirting boards which is being resolved. I’d always argue that free roam is the best way for a rabbit to live in the vast majority of cases - they enjoy & need freedom just as much as any other animals. However, all I will say is to ensure the room is bunny proofed as much as possible (definitely no cords left out/gaps in cupboards they can get into etc.). I can’t see there being other major health risks like you have mentioned, but of course ensure the room has good ventilation & let fresh air in where possible.

Thank you both :) I'm getting a dog gate (with added mesh/puppy pad on bottom as bars will be too wide) to go on the doorway between living room so we don't always have to keep the kitchen door closed and we usually have either living room or kitchen window open. Think we'll see how she goes tomorrow as it's my day off, there's no gaps at all between cupboards and we have no cords in the kitchen beside the fridge being plugged in which will be covered by a pen.

Back