• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lillian - stasis (U/D 21st July 7pm)

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
Following on from my post on guess the bun, I thought it probably best to update everybun on how Lillian is on her own thread so it’s easier to follow. It’s 7:30pm and I’ve just brought madam in front the garden where she’s been since lunchtime. With the exception of about 3-4 dandelion leaves mid afternoon that I put next to her, she’s eaten nothing at all. I’ve not seen her venture into the lawn and graze or go off triffid hunting and munch on some leaves.
With that level of observation, I felt that she may well have a stasis episode which I more or less concluded as definate when I brought her in. A fresh plate of green and herbs which she will usually attack regardless, was sniffed and ignored.
We’ve given her metacam (presently her favourite), metaclopromide, ranitidine and sulfratrim. She’s not keen on those judging by her expression.
I’m not sure what the cause is. Her last episode was in March. So I’m hoping the meds will start working and helping her gut start moving as I am hoping I’ve identified this quickly and at least begun a course of meds that has proven successful in the past.
I will ring the vet tomorrow and attempt to get Lillian seen in the evening but the current situation with the vets is quite frustrating due to this damned virus. I much prefer face to face consulting rather than a car park handover and then back and forth thing.
Firstly I need the vet to check for gut movement and take it from there.
Possible gas build up is my hunch but what do I know. I’m kicking myself again - it hurts me when Lillian gets these episodes and I wish I could do more for her. I’m sure that deep down she knows we’re trying to help her - I just wish I could take away the discomfort she feels.
I’ll update you all as we go along on the journey again as I know many of you follow these hiccups with Lillian and how pretty hopeless I am at keeping her free from these episodes.
She’s sitting in the hay area not eating, just sitting there but there’s plenty of food for her and I’m hoping she will have a bit of a nibble during the night once the meds start working a bit.
Thank you all in advance for following and your support - Lillian is always very appreciative of everyone’s thoughts.
Craig xx

Last edited:
Oh Craig I'm so sorry, but please don't beat yourself, you've identified very quickly that Lillian is uncomfortable, and acted quickly. I am keeping my fingers crossed, and George and Treacle are keeping their paws crossed that the meds to get work, and Lillian will start nibbling soon. Big hugs Craig xxx

I am sending lots of vibes and hugs. I really really hope she eats something soon. Poor Lillian, get well soon. Hugs for you xxx

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I've been through the same thing many times with Lilly.

Hope she feels better soon and hope you don't get too stressed from the worry.

I'm sure she will come through it, like she has all the other times

Sorry to hear that Lillian is unwell again. You did not mention anything about her poo output ? I am sure you already know that what comes out (or doesn't) is just as important as what goes in when trying to assess the GI tract motility of a Rabbit :) An absence of poo output in an anorexic Rabbit would mean that it is exceptionally important to try to be a certain as possible that there is no GI tract obstruction before administering any prokinetics. I am just mentioning this for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread who may not be aware of that, as I think most RU members are. The 'Health' part of the forum can be viewed by anyone, not only RU members.

I really hope that Lillian will come through this latest blip.xx

Update at 9am- well, Lillian was ok this morning. Not much evidence of an appetite but some poop and wee I think (it was where she had been sitting so I’m logically putting 2and 2 together here. She had a brief run outside - didn’t do much or eat.
Administered meds - then she looked at food as if she wanted to eat but didn’t - so clearly evidence of her being in stasis in my view.
After a few minutes she picked a few bits of coriander and a few special pro bio pellets but you could see she wanted to eat but was being stopped from eating by something. Tummy doesn’t feel as tight but she’s not herself so rang vet and got a 6pm appointment tonight. They will be able to listen to her tummy and see what is going on and work out a plan.
Will update you all after that.
Thank you all for you vibes and thank you Jane for the expert bit about output.
Craig xx

Lillian must have a sensitive tummy which puts her off eating at times. Sending vibes that she will soon be back to normal. Actually, if March was the last time she went into Stasis then this isn't too bad!

I hope that Lillian gets on well at the vets and that the vet can establish what the problem is.

Hello everybun. Hands up whose been on tenterhooks for the last few hours?
Ok, sorry it’s a bit late but this virus thing don’t half make a straightforward vet consultation a lengthy process.
6pm appointment, left at 7pm.
Ok, so we saw a really lovely vet who must have wished she’d gone home at 6pm instead of getting the ‘nutter’.
She wanted to know what we were dealing with, so I gave her 10 mins worth of Lillian diagnosis working on the basis that the more she knows, the better her exam would be, hoping she would feel that I had at least some clue as to what I was doing and saying. “Very tight tummy on Saturday, lack of appetite and so on”. It was nice that she took that on board.
I asked for a good check of her tummy (that’s Lillian’s, not the vets��), and temperature check.
And off she went for another 10 minutes. All this consultation was in the car park - all very surreal.
Like an expectant father I paced round the car park and waited.
The vet returned - couldn’t tell if she was smiling or not!
But it was positive news. There’s no temperature so that eases the worry of infection.
She said there was no indication of tightness or gas that she could feel - and she said she had a good thorough feel. There is evidence of gut movement - sounds. Not massive but certainly movement.
No feeling of any lumps, and initially no sensation of any stones. Tummy nice and soft.
So, all strong positive signs for Lillian but I know you will also add that this doesn’t identify a cause for this ‘blip’.
Moving forward, we continue with metacam. We continue metaclopromide but ranitidine is a problem cause there’s a wee bit of a shortage but the vet said the metaclopromide was the more important so she wasn’t too concerned about ranitidine.
One bag of meds later and we were back home and Lillian settled under the dining room table and has promptly polished off a small plate of cabbage and corriander. Knock me down with a feather!
I would much rather she was checked out properly and guide us in the right direction. It was comforting to hear from the vet that we were doing everything that they would do at the hospital.
So, metacam for the next few days. Metaclopromide for the next few days and monitor closely.
I will update in the morning. Time to go give Lillian some nighttime meds.
Thank you for all your vibes - Lillian is extremely grateful to have so many friends out there.
Craig xx

Back