• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lillian - stasis (U/D 21st July 7pm)

Any bun want to adopt 2 bunnies? Because this bunny malarky is doing my head in.
I came downstairs this morning at 6am to find the plate of fresh greens and herbs demolished from last night - which may have been hollow legs Leo (as he is now known) or possibly Lillian. I put some fresh nomms down and Lillian came out to shove her snuffly in it and get to work on some light grazing - something she hadn't done for the last 3 days.
I'm not sure if we got the same rabbit back from the vet last night. Also last night before I went to bed, I put some fresh greens in their hay area and Lillian was in there chilling - she started to make the loudest sniffy noise in the fresh herbs I have ever heard from her - almost like a dog searching for drugs.
Having checked her first thing, I've just cleaned them out and there's certainly plenty of wee and poo from both and both hooligans went outside where Lillian began her assualt on triffids and grass growing through the patio bricks. Nothing was safe from her teeth. Then she bounded up the garden - her body language to me was markedly different to the last 48 hours. Totally different. She presented as alert, watchful and more of a presence and awareness.
So I am baffled. Am I just an overreactive hopeless bun keeper doing a bad job of it or am I something else?
Plan is to continue with the metaclopromide today and the metacam for a few more days just to help ease things and to support Lillian with what appears to be a growing appetite which is appearing to be more towards normal.
Maybe she was stressed by the vet visit last week? I don't know. Maybe she had some gas build up from eating something that I observed on saturday with the drum tight tummy? I know when babies get colic it is really painful so I am assuming this is the same with rabbits?
Such complex little animals with so much character and learning their manorisms and behaviour and spotting what is wrong with them is such a difficult and stressful learning experience.
I'll update again tonight.
Thank you all for following and your vibes
Craig xx

So pleased to hear that Lillian is getting back to her usual self, and really hope that continues Craig xx

Any bun want to adopt 2 bunnies? Because this bunny malarky is doing my head in.
I came downstairs this morning at 6am to find the plate of fresh greens and herbs demolished from last night - which may have been hollow legs Leo (as he is now known) or possibly Lillian. I put some fresh nomms down and Lillian came out to shove her snuffly in it and get to work on some light grazing - something she hadn't done for the last 3 days.
I'm not sure if we got the same rabbit back from the vet last night. Also last night before I went to bed, I put some fresh greens in their hay area and Lillian was in there chilling - she started to make the loudest sniffy noise in the fresh herbs I have ever heard from her - almost like a dog searching for drugs.
Having checked her first thing, I've just cleaned them out and there's certainly plenty of wee and poo from both and both hooligans went outside where Lillian began her assualt on triffids and grass growing through the patio bricks. Nothing was safe from her teeth. Then she bounded up the garden - her body language to me was markedly different to the last 48 hours. Totally different. She presented as alert, watchful and more of a presence and awareness.
So I am baffled. Am I just an overreactive hopeless bun keeper doing a bad job of it or am I something else?
Plan is to continue with the metaclopromide today and the metacam for a few more days just to help ease things and to support Lillian with what appears to be a growing appetite which is appearing to be more towards normal.
Maybe she was stressed by the vet visit last week? I don't know. Maybe she had some gas build up from eating something that I observed on saturday with the drum tight tummy? I know when babies get colic it is really painful so I am assuming this is the same with rabbits?
Such complex little animals with so much character and learning their manorisms and behaviour and spotting what is wrong with them is such a difficult and stressful learning experience.
I'll update again tonight.
Thank you all for following and your vibes
Craig xx

I think she wanted a trip out and some extra fuss! Seriously though I am glad she is back to garden bounding.

Corr blimey these bunnies!! I am so happy she is doing well and eating again. There is no stress like bunny induced stress. OH noticed I started getting a few greys hairs - I was like that one was Dennis's vet trip, that one was Toby and so on...:lol:

I'll post a brief update in case anyone is still following. 7pm. Lillian has been out in the garden most of the day. My wife reports not much eating going on. I gave her some dandelion leaves when I got in from work and she scoffed those. Brought her in at 7pm. Bit easier than normal. She doesn't like metaclopromide and makes a bit of a face on with that, but metacam is definately en vogue and she laps that up. She tucked into some fresh herbs and greens but not completely devoured. But it's small gains with Lillian - I know from experience. I still don't think she's 100% but again, from previous episodes with her, we know that she doesn't just bounce back. I don't suppose we humans do either.But she is eating. I'll check the output later. She's not really energetic so I'm not sure if that's just her weight or if it's because she's not feeling well or something else.
The vet was thorough yesterday - I am sure of that, and I have to trust that professional assessment. It was comforting to know that the vet couldn't feel anything of concern.
Lillian will settle for the evening - it's cosy in their area and I'll top the food up before bedtime.
Yes Loobers grey hares are now part and parcel of life for me now. I've got too many for comfort. But giving bunnies an extra chance in life is something we all share - and we accept the trials and tribulations that comes with bunny ownership. I just wish I was better at it and could do more.
Thank you all again for your continued vibes
Craig xx

Glad she's making progress Craig, slow but sure, I'm sure she'll get there. Topping up more vibes for her xx

I love the fact that she waited to be hand fed by you. Maybe a trip out in the car and hand feeding are all that girl desires! But seriously I am so glad she is improving.

That's great she is still eating, she's probably not going to be back to normal for a little while is she bless her xx

Ah - apologies everybun. I have neglected to post an update and you have been kindly following and anxious.
Lillian was quite perky this morning when I cleaned the bedding area out. Chomping on the patio triffids and a bit of grass. She was dry underneath and skin looked nice and healthy. In the evenings at about 8pm, she and Leo come into the loving room and sit right next to my wife. Same position every night - Leo nearest the door, Lillian the other side, sploofed out. She is eating better. Munching greens and herbs. She ate her poop this morning (according to my wife who observed her leaving a poop on the carpet and eating it). Lillian has been outside all day again and I'll go and get her in a moment (8pm). She looks brighter - more alert. One clue Lillian is not herself is her refusal to eat dried cranberries. When she refuses these, then I know there is a problem. And that is how she has been since the weekend.
I have ordered some oat hay from a supplier at work and I'll do my best to push her onto eating that - which isn't going to be easy.
I would have updatde this thread earlier but I had discovered a rather worrying lack of power steering fluid in my car when I got to work (lack of as in 'empty') so I had to do some investigative work cleaning the underside of the car with gunk to remove the residue, then fill up the reservoir with fluid and leak stop and then do a final check before leaving some card under the car to see what happens during the night. So I'm only just sitting down and about to go to bed.
Lillian presents as better. She's on the plump side but we are trying to deal with that but Leo I tell you - he has hollow legs. That rabbit can out eat Lillian and not put a single gram on. And he won't eat hay at all. So I have to provide food for him which Lillian will naturally eat. Not an easy fix.
So, we're stopping the metaclopromide tonight - the vet suggested we stop yesterday but we've given it an extra day. We'll do the metacam for a few more days.
And when I get time (ie not sticking my girly sized hands into oily bits of saabs or pulling blanketweed out of fishponds), I'll post some photos and videos of Lillian and Leo cause I haven't done so for a while.
Thank you each and everybun for following and your vibes. They mean so much to Lillian (and me).
Craig (and Lillian) xx

Ah - apologies everybun. I have neglected to post an update and you have been kindly following and anxious.
Lillian was quite perky this morning when I cleaned the bedding area out. Chomping on the patio triffids and a bit of grass. She was dry underneath and skin looked nice and healthy. In the evenings at about 8pm, she and Leo come into the loving room and sit right next to my wife. Same position every night - Leo nearest the door, Lillian the other side, sploofed out. She is eating better. Munching greens and herbs. She ate her poop this morning (according to my wife who observed her leaving a poop on the carpet and eating it). Lillian has been outside all day again and I'll go and get her in a moment (8pm). She looks brighter - more alert. One clue Lillian is not herself is her refusal to eat dried cranberries. When she refuses these, then I know there is a problem. And that is how she has been since the weekend.
I have ordered some oat hay from a supplier at work and I'll do my best to push her onto eating that - which isn't going to be easy.
I would have updatde this thread earlier but I had discovered a rather worrying lack of power steering fluid in my car when I got to work (lack of as in 'empty') so I had to do some investigative work cleaning the underside of the car with gunk to remove the residue, then fill up the reservoir with fluid and leak stop and then do a final check before leaving some card under the car to see what happens during the night. So I'm only just sitting down and about to go to bed.
Lillian presents as better. She's on the plump side but we are trying to deal with that but Leo I tell you - he has hollow legs. That rabbit can out eat Lillian and not put a single gram on. And he won't eat hay at all. So I have to provide food for him which Lillian will naturally eat. Not an easy fix.
So, we're stopping the metaclopromide tonight - the vet suggested we stop yesterday but we've given it an extra day. We'll do the metacam for a few more days.
And when I get time (ie not sticking my girly sized hands into oily bits of saabs or pulling blanketweed out of fishponds), I'll post some photos and videos of Lillian and Leo cause I haven't done so for a while.
Thank you each and everybun for following and your vibes. They mean so much to Lillian (and me).
Craig (and Lillian) xx
dear craig1965,-yes,please watch the poops,- http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Awww I'm glad she is better. I would love some piccies when you get round to it :love: Good girl Lillian xx

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back