• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

F10 Application - Flystrike

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Does anyone know the correct way to apply F10 as a flystrike preventative?

I don't usually use it on my own bunnies as I prefer to avoid chemicals and if I had a poorly or immobile bunny I'd probably use Rearguard.

However my foster pair coming in the weekend have known digestive issues and F10 is more cost effective for the Rescue so I just want to check I'm applying it correctly?

Info on RWAF says 'F10 wound spray needs to be applied weekly to the rump and genital area' but its dated 2014 so just want to check that advise hasn't changed.

Thanks Shimmer, I saw that I just thought it was a little vague on where to apply as a preventative.

F10 can be applied to any area of fur or skin, including open wounds. I've used it on surgically opened jaw abscesses as flystrike protection. Just spray it where it is needed (ie any at-risk areas such as the bottom of incontinent rabbits, or those prone to faecal clumping in the fur, once the area is clean and dry)

Rearguard is only licensed for application around the bottom area (hence it's name). It lasts about a month, but needs reapplying if the rabbit is bathed, which makes it an expensive option. It also has a reputation for suppressing the appetite, which isn't what you want in an already compromised rabbit.

Thank you. I'll apply it as the RWAF suggests as that would be the logical at risk areas for bunnies prone to faecal clumping.

I'm hopeful once they are on a strict diet the issue will resolve and I can stop using chemicals but I think its a sensible precaution to start.

Back