• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to get bigger dumps?

Tiggertime

Young Bun
Me little Tigger is approaching 2, and is at times what you might call a fussy eater.

He was a rescue bunny and we've had him since he was about 3/4 months, no specific breed as we think he's a bit of mix. He's been on Burgess Junior dry pellets as he was tiny when we first brought him home and they thought he was going to be a pocket bunny, but I think his growth has exceeded expectations. Health wise, touch wood, we think he's fine. His weight's good, and his teeth were fine on a very recent tummy related trip to the vets. His diet includes kale, cavolo nero, spring greens, herbs, and fruit/fenugreek crunchies/niblots as treats. He also has the full lawn to go at. Along with this he's given plenty of hay and we've tried them all.

And it's hay we think that is the issue - we just can't get enough of it into him. Plenty in his bed, where he sits, in toys, in hangers etc and we just don't know what to do.

This brings us to his poos - too often they're very small, or elongated, or strung together or a mix of the above, and we're worried he's becoming prone to blockages.

We've finally introduced a friend in the past two weeks which he seems quite excited about and dates have been going well. Her poos and hay intake is superb. His - much of the same. In fact on the first weekend he had a blockage and we had to take him to the the vet where he was given a painkilling injection and prescribed Metoclopramide. He picked up fairly quickly and is eating plenty, but his poos still aren't great. Then this morning I was worried a poor tummy again as he wasn't quite himself. He eventually pooed - small, one elongated, two stuck together - so perhaps a slight blockage again.

Sophia being a slightly bigger bunny is on Burgess adult - would a move to the adult food perhaps help Tigs? Do we lower his wet food intake? Reduce his dry food? Given he can be fussy we're worried he doesn't eat enough so we're wary of giving him any less than he's on.

Apologies for the long post I just wanted to give a picture of everything we've tried for him so far and appreciate any advice.

EDIT: Forgot to mention he is molting quite a bit at present so is getting two brushes a day from his Mam.

Last edited:
It could be that he's getting too many pellets and veg, so he's choosing to eat those instead of the hay. The RWAF recommend around 85% of food intake should be hay, 10% greens and 5% pellets. https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-diet/

Often, key is finding a hay that's absolutely irresistible to him; bunnies all have their own preferences and some are very fussy too! :lol: Do you have any local farm shops? My two were always much keener on baled hay as opposed to the bags you can buy in pet shops, the bonus being that it's very inexpensive too.

Making hay available in as many places as possible might help. Bunnies like to eat and poo at the same time, so try lots of hay in the litter tray or in a rack just above. You can sprinkle a handful of herbs or dried forage in the hay to encourage foraging and, while he's searching for the goodies, he's likely to eat some of the hay at the same time.

Most rabbits do well on lots of hay or grass, a tbsp of Pellets, and small amounts of Herbs,or veg. So from what you say he is possibly getting too much of other foods hence he is not interested in eating hay. I would switch him onto Adult Burgess as the Junior is higher in protein and calcium, for growing bunnies. Drop any fruit and if he is eating lots of grass he won't need too much veg. As he is moulting this tends to slow the gut down so it really is important that he is eating hay/grass as this will help to push everything through. This regime also applies to your new rabbit as well.

I don't want to sound dismissive but we've tried all that including the baled hay. He has a poke around and a little munch then gets bored of it. He does have his preferences but we've not found any that's irresistible. And given that his new girlfriend's eating plenty I think the hay itself is fine (I think we've got two lots on the go at the minute).

What's the best way to reduce his pellets and veg? At times he's not a big eater anyway - he goes through phases of being a little gannet and then not eating much at all, and he's very easily distracted - so we like to make sure he's at least eating something.

Regarding moving him onto the adult Burgess - is it best to do this gradually or a straight swap, we know you're not supposed to make any changes that are too sudden?

Last edited:
Maybe he has a tooth problem? As your new rabbit is eating hay, this might encourage him also. Does he graze a lot on the grass?

As per the vet visit a fortnight ago his teeth are fine.

We are hoping Sophia eating hay will encourage him yeah but it's early days still.

He gets out on the grass almost every day unless the weather's really bad.

I don't want to sound dismissive but we've tried all that including the baled hay. He has a poke around and a little munch then gets bored of it. He does have his preferences but we've not found any that's irresistible. And given that his new girlfriend's eating plenty I think the hay itself is fine (I think we've got two lots on the go at the minute).

What's the best way to reduce his pellets and veg? At times he's not a big eater anyway - he goes through phases of being a little gannet and then not eating much at all, and he's very easily distracted - so we like to make sure he's at least eating something.

Regarding moving him onto the adult Burgess - is it best to do this gradually or a straight swap, we know you're not supposed to make any changes that are too sudden?

just give him less :) and provide plenty of hay, grass & leafy green veg such as kale

hay and grass should be constantly available imo

I mix the new into the old for a week or 2.
first few days 80% old to 20% new, next few days 60/40 and so on until all new

As per the vet visit a fortnight ago his teeth are fine.

We are hoping Sophia eating hay will encourage him yeah but it's early days still.

He gets out on the grass almost every day unless the weather's really bad.

is he eating a lot of grass?

some outdoor rabbits never eat much hay as they’re filling up on grass, which afaik is perfectly fine. grass still requires that same side to side motion that hay does, so it still does the job.

unfortunately I find good hay eating habits are made at a young age, and those who never got them often are very difficult to get to eat hay later in life, which is ofc very important for them.

perhaps you can try dried forage, or pellet, scattered into the hay. some also put fenugreek powder / leaves into the hay, which most rabbits seem to go mad for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

is he eating a lot of grass?

some outdoor rabbits never eat much hay as they’re filling up on grass, which afaik is perfectly fine. grass still requires that same side to side motion that hay does, so it still does the job.

unfortunately I find good hay eating habits are made at a young age, and those who never got them often are very difficult to get to eat hay later in life, which is ofc very important for them.

perhaps you can try dried forage, or pellet, scattered into the hay. some also put fenugreek powder / leaves into the hay, which most rabbits seem to go mad for.

Interesting idea... he loves his fenugreek crunchies.

He likes his dried forage as well.

Grass - I think he eats a fair bit yes as he has the full garden to play in.

Just looking into trying to get some of this - I take it you these health & wellbeing Holland & Barratt types is what I should be looking at?

Ahh ok. Thanks.

I found this on Amazon - looks to be the same stuff.

I might end up using it in our cooking at this rate! :lol:

Back