• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeling bad

Bumblebea

New Kit
Feeling terrible, the time has come to split my buns up until I can get the buck neutered. As per vet instruction, I'm keeping them near each other so their bond doesn't completely break. I have a lovely she'd set up and huge run, I have put a modified chicken coop and run inside the big run so that they can still see each other. They will each have half a day (split) in the big run so they have time to exercise properly still. Not sure how to add pictures...

Is there anything I can do to help them settle alone or any tips?!

Feeling terrible, the time has come to split my buns up until I can get the buck neutered. As per vet instruction, I'm keeping them near each other so their bond doesn't completely break. I have a lovely she'd set up and huge run, I have put a modified chicken coop and run inside the big run so that they can still see each other. They will each have half a day (split) in the big run so they have time to exercise properly still. Not sure how to add pictures...

Is there anything I can do to help them settle alone or any tips?!

Have you got a date for your Buck's neuter? Hopefully this situation won't be for too long, although a Buck can still be fertile for up to 6 weeks after his neuter, so separation is still advisable.

I would just observe their behaviour very carefully. A few rabbits split up in this way before neutering will become distressed and then sadly you will need to separate them completely, so that they can't see or smell each other and then rebond in a neutral space afterwards. How old are your rabbits?

The vet will do it at 16 weeks earliest, they are currently 10 and a half weeks old. I separated as bumble was mounting Bea and she was constantly running away from him.

Can you advise what I'm looking for in their behaviour please? They both seem to be looking for each other and the bunny that's in the hutch is pulling at the bars to get out 😭

I know they need to be separated I'm just so unsure what's best for them without making them depressed

The vet will do it at 16 weeks earliest, they are currently 10 and a half weeks old. I separated as bumble was mounting Bea and she was constantly running away from him.

Can you advise what I'm looking for in their behaviour please? They both seem to be looking for each other and the bunny that's in the hutch is pulling at the bars to get out 😭

I know they need to be separated I'm just so unsure what's best for them without making them depressed

Most vets will consider neutering Bucks once their testicles have dropped, which is usually around 12 weeks (unless they are very tiny rabbits). Bucks are usually done at least a couple of months before Does, who are usually done around 5-6 months.

Distressing behaviour is sometimes seen in un-neutered Bucks, who are close to, but not with, un-neutered Does. They can become quite desperate to reach the Doe and will be constantly attempting to get at her through the wire. It sounds as though your bunnies are just keen to get out :)

They are mini lop X Dutch so not huge rabbits. I was hoping to get them back together once the buck had been neutered and had the 6 weeks over, is that okay or would I need to wait until they were both done?

We just had an escape attempt, I closed the shed up and let bumble out in to the run and he was climbing up at the doors and then did the biggest jump and landed on the edge of the run, we have a small area of uncovered run which I didn't think would be an issue as it's really quite high. Luckily he jumped back down in to the run, safe to say it's covered now 😩

I don't know if I am best to separate completely or see how it goes?

They are mini lop X Dutch so not huge rabbits. I was hoping to get them back together once the buck had been neutered and had the 6 weeks over, is that okay or would I need to wait until they were both done?

We just had an escape attempt, I closed the shed up and let bumble out in to the run and he was climbing up at the doors and then did the biggest jump and landed on the edge of the run, we have a small area of uncovered run which I didn't think would be an issue as it's really quite high. Luckily he jumped back down in to the run, safe to say it's covered now 😩

I don't know if I am best to separate completely or see how it goes?

It should be OK to put them back together after the Buck's had 6 weeks post neuter, but obviously watch for any issues. Yes, determined bunnies can jump quite high :lol: I would see how it goes atm. You can always separate completely if you need to.

Aww I feel for you! I remember going thru the same thing before my bunnies were neutered, 8 years ago now! I was lucky enough to get mine both done when they were only about 4 months old tho - but my girl was one of the reasons my boss now won’t spay females under 6 months; they are v underdeveloped at 4 months so the surgery was v hard. You’re doing totally the right thing, it is not worth risking babies, and randy males are terrible to females. Randy females are even worse to males tho!!!

Back