• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on decision

Ali_x_

New Kit
Hi.... just after some advice, I took my 6 year old lop Lola to the vet today as I had been hearing loud noises from her tummy, she’s been eating loads still, and didn’t seem to be any different in herself, although I noticed she has been loosing weight gradually. She has been getting regular check ups
at the vet, at least 6 monthly as she had previously had problems with her teeth, and there was never anything picked up.
So today the vet said she felt a large mass on her abdomen, which she said was either a cyst or mass, she said more likely mass because of the clinical signs. She gave me the option of taking blood tests, then full body x-rays, which meant sedation, that she would be a high risk for, also the next step would be surgery, which she said would a) possibly not be successful and she would be a major risk given her age and her weight loss. She said it was a poor prognosis either way.
I weighed up the options with the vet, if I feel that there is a good prognosis and putting an animal through risk of surgery would benefit them, then I wouldn’t hesitate, however in this case, I questioned whether it was cruel to do that to her and put her through all that, so I decided while she was comfortable, to take her home, to carry on living her happy life with Tom (her bunny husband) and give her pain relief. The vet said she agreed with this, although she had to give me all the options, she agreed with my decision:
I sometimes doubt my decisions and just wondered what anyone else would have done or if they’ve been in this situation, did they feel that their bunny got some quality of life at the end still? Just for reassurance I guess. I’ve spent a lot on vet bills in the past, so that’s not a factor in this. Like I said if it’s in their best interest; I would do that but I’m this case I didn’t think it was in Lola’s interests.
Since bringing her home tonight, I’ve bathed her bottom as she hasn’t been cleaning herself well bless her and I’ve given her some pain meds; and she told me off as soon as I put her back in the hutch, banging her back feet at me and was eating away happily 😊 difficult times for me 😢

Is your vet a rabbit savvy exotics vet? I would usually go with the vets advice, but I would always value quality of life and if bunny is happy in themselves that is the main thing.

ETA sending lots of vibes to her xx

Hi.. yes I take my rabbits and Guineas to a good exotics vet, I don’t always trust others but I trust this one, I’ve had a lot guinea pigs with complicated health issues that have been well managed at this vet so I trust them. She couldn’t advise me she said but after I made my decision, she said she agreed with it, I just wish it could have been picked up earlier, animals are good at hiding things though but there obviously wasn’t any signs on her last check up 3 months ago, she hadn’t really lost much weight at that time and now she’s lost quite a bit so it’s progressed quickly. I’ll just keep an eye and make sure she’s not suffering

I'm sorry to hear about your bunny & hope you get to enjoy some more happy times together. Taking a rabbit to the vet for a gurgling tum when they are eating well is the height of a vigilant owner - I can't imagine there was anything to be picked up sooner. If I'm confident with my vet I'm always really appreciative of their input in things like this. You & your vet are the ones best placed to decide whats right for your rabbit. I think it feels particularly hard as if you are not actively doing something (ie electing for surgery) but with a poor prognosis either way I think I too would just keep her comfy for as long as possible.

I don't have any experiences of this though

From what you have posted on here I think that you have made the right decision for Lola. I have had to make a similar decision on more than one occasion. My thoughts are that just because invasive high risk surgery may be possible, it does not mean that it is always the best thing for the individual Rabbit to do it.

I would be very mindful about the risk of Flystrike to Loa. Rabbits who are unable to clean themselves are at high risk.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/illness/flystrike/

I hope that Lola will remain comfortable for as long as possible

These are nice messages thank you. Yeah fly strike is worrying me because of her dirty bum, she’s been having to have a little bum bath every day unfortunately for her, she’s not very happy when I do this lol, she has always been the moody stroppy one! And I’m checking the cage regularly for loose poos as well, because the obviously Tom’s at risk of that as well.

Thank you, she’s had her morning celery and is digging in to the hard food bless her.

These are nice messages thank you. Yeah fly strike is worrying me because of her dirty bum, she’s been having to have a little bum bath every day unfortunately for her, she’s not very happy when I do this lol, she has always been the moody stroppy one! And I’m checking the cage regularly for loose poos as well, because the obviously Tom’s at risk of that as well.

Thank you, she’s had her morning celery and is digging in to the hard food bless her.

You could cover the Bunnies' accommodation with fly netting, use electronic bug zappers and fly papers. Citronella is supposed to deter flies too.

I hope she has a good day today, a Bunny with attitude !! :love:

It sounds like you’ve made the right decision for Lola, you know her better than anyone and can see how she is in herself. Sending lots of stating well vibes for her x

Having been paranoid about flies for the last 6 weeks while my bunny had a wound, I can really recommend the citronella diffuser mentioned by Jacks Jane. I also put up fly screen and the sticky tapes as well as planting sage, lavender, geranium and mint around the aviary. They seem to repel flies, especially if you brush past the plants so they give off more scent.

Having been paranoid about flies for the last 6 weeks while my bunny had a wound, I can really recommend the citronella diffuser mentioned by Jacks Jane. I also put up fly screen and the sticky tapes as well as planting sage, lavender, geranium and mint around the aviary. They seem to repel flies, especially if you brush past the plants so they give off more scent.

I think I may move in with your Bunnies, the scent from the flowers must be wonderful !!

Hi everyone, update: so I’ve got a cat flap attached to their hutch, which means they can go in and out of the run whenever they wanted, Lola never used that flap, she hated it.
This morning I went out to give them their breakfast, and I couldn’t see her in there. She had decided to take herself outside (using the flap for the first time) that’s where she wanted to be; Lola passed away peacefully early hours this morning in their run, with Tom by her side. I’m so relieved that she didn’t suffer and went peacefully, yesterday she was still eating and looked comfortable, so I’m confident she wasn’t in much pain. I now know I made the right decision, as it was clearly very advanced.
RIP Lola bunny 🌈🌈

I’m so sorry you lost her :cry: it sounds like she passed peacefully. RIP Lola xx

Thank you 💙 I’m sad that she’s gone but I’m also so relieved that she didn’t suffer, it was the best possible ending for her I feel, she obviously wanted to be outside bless her. I’m supposed at how quick it all happened but also glad. I’ll keep an eye on Tom, I don’t want him to be too lonely xx

I'm really sad for you but glad too she went peacefully with Tom by her side & that you have peace with your decision. Sweet dreams Lola bun xx

Back