• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What could it be? UPDATE: Kidney disease

Leesa

Warren Scout
Fudge has been having small poops, on gut stimulant which hasn’t helped, although it hasn’t got any better. It’s worst in the morning and gets a bit better in the day. Very healthy appetite still, but the vet said he’s underweight, doesn’t seem to have a blockage. Teeth are fine.

We had cut back on his food (just giving hay) whilst I try and got his Cecotrope issue in check (he ends up sleeping on them and getting messy from time to time), got that sorted and started adding back pellets and vegetables/herbs in gradually, so he might be underweight from this, I don’t know. He had both ears flushed, but the vet said they were okay, but I had started using the ear cleaner again just in case until I could get him an appointment. Other than his arthritis, what else could it be?

He’s had blood taken so will get the results end of this week/beginning of next.

Other than sore hocks (pink but no broken skin) he looks pretty healthy other than grinding his teeth which I’ve been noticing the past couple of days, so wondering if it’s arthritis if it isn’t his ears or could it be something much worse. He looked like he had a little gas on Sunday but don’t think he’s had it otherwise. He’s still bouncing around but been quite snuggly wanting attention which I think means he’s not doing so well. He had his pain meds upped at the end of May (on twice daily 0.8ml of loxicom). I guess we’ll find out after his blood tests, if he needs an additional painkillers.

I’m just really worried about what else it could be and hate the thought that he maybe in pain. I didn’t get to go into the vets with him so harder to find out answers as it would be a regular appointment.

Last edited:
Tooth grinding often indicates pain, so it may be that Fudge needs his analgesic medication adjusting. Hopefully the blood tests will give your Vet more detailed information.

Tooth grinding often indicates pain, so it may be that Fudge needs his analgesic medication adjusting. Hopefully the blood tests will give your Vet more detailed information.

Thank you, I really hope he can be sorted out with more painkillers, I've been worried sick after the vet said his ears were okay and that he feels bony, I'm just so scared I'm going to lose him or that he's in terrible pain. I feel so guilty for not taking him in sooner, I don't have a car at the moment and having to rely on my Dad to do the 45 mile round trip. I always worry I am over reacting and if I wait a few days I can see if it's just me being paranoid. My mum is constantly telling me I'm overreacting and my Dad wasn't too impressed with me when went at the end of May and his ear was actually ok. I really should just buy a car but money has been tighter for me with not working a regular job (I've been trying to build a business after workplace bullying left me with mental health issues) and I've paid out so much in vets bills the last 18 months, so had been waiting until my monthly income increases before I added a car to my expenditure.

Thank you, I really hope he can be sorted out with more painkillers, I've been worried sick after the vet said his ears were okay and that he feels bony, I'm just so scared I'm going to lose him or that he's in terrible pain. I feel so guilty for not taking him in sooner, I don't have a car at the moment and having to rely on my Dad to do the 45 mile round trip. I always worry I am over reacting and if I wait a few days I can see if it's just me being paranoid. My mum is constantly telling me I'm overreacting and my Dad wasn't too impressed with me when went at the end of May and his ear was actually ok. I really should just buy a car but money has been tighter for me with not working a regular job (I've been trying to build a business after workplace bullying left me with mental health issues) and I've paid out so much in vets bills the last 18 months, so had been waiting until my monthly income increases before I added a car to my expenditure.

Well you know your Rabbit best and if you have a gut feeling that all is not well I dont think you are over-reacting by wanting a Vet to check him over. I understand that it is hard having to rely on others for transport (.....or in my case rely on others for anything !!, I hate not being independent but I am not currently able to be so). I hope your financial situation will improve so you are able to obtain your own transport.

With a bit of luck Fudge's blood tests results will be back in another day or so and you may get some answers from them x

Sending vibes for you and Fudge. As JJ said, you know your bunny best. Being cautious is not over-reacting. Most illness are treated best in the early stages.

Well you know your Rabbit best and if you have a gut feeling that all is not well I dont think you are over-reacting by wanting a Vet to check him over. I understand that it is hard having to rely on others for transport (.....or in my case rely on others for anything !!, I hate not being independent but I am not currently able to be so). I hope your financial situation will improve so you are able to obtain your own transport.

With a bit of luck Fudge's blood tests results will be back in another day or so and you may get some answers from them x

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you can get some independence back.

Sadly they are not in this afternoon, fingers crossed tomorrow as I'm going through gut stimulant fast.

Sending vibes for you and Fudge. As JJ said, you know your bunny best. Being cautious is not over-reacting. Most illness are treated best in the early stages.

Thank you. His poops are not getting better (son doesn't look like it was his ears), but thankfully he is still eating on his own and very active, he tends to get worse before his pain meds are due.

UPDATE: his blood test came back indicative of kidney disease :( . He's going to get some meds. Looks like I have a lot of researching to do.

Last edited:
U/D his blood test came back indicative of kidney disease :( . He's going to get some meds. Looks like I have a lot of researching to do.

I am sorry to here this. However, medication can definitely help to stabilise renal function in cases of chronic renal failure, although it cannot cure it. Treatment certainly helps Bunny to feel better within themselves and buys them more good quality time. Some dietary modification is usually needed too. This includes increasing high water content fresh foods to optimise fluid intake, moderating calcium intake and restricting phosphate intake ( no banana, carrots or tomatoes )

Some additional information here :

https://wagwalking.com/rabbit/condition/kidney-failure-

Thank you for the information. He rarely has carrots or bananas and never tomato so no change there. I can’t help but think I’ve made this happen. I rarely have parsley before Coco died as was always worried about calcium. Since she’s passed I gave him more, plus he ate kale. But I think this dandelion season may have done it - I gave him so many when I was giving him the ear cleaner as there were tonnes in our garden. 🤦🏻*♀️ I feel so guilty.

I have been syringe him (Which he takes himself) quite a bit of water with soaked pellets so will continue this as he loves the flavour. (He won’t drink water out of a bowl so this is probably the easiest way to get him more liquids). He likes cucumber and chopped up celery so will continue them.

I'm sorry to hear about Fudges test results. I would say don't beat yourself up about the dandelions, Frances Harcourt-Brown recommended them for their diuretic properties. I had a beautiful lil bun in Chronic Kidney Failure, his Vet was Frances Protege & she had no issue with him eating some kale & lots of dandelions. My vet was very pro syringe feeding too - as much as a (relatively)natural way to get fluids in to them which is key. My boy only ate wet food, I fought this for age tring to find a fibrestick or hay he'd try - it took me ages to realise by eating fresh it was the best thing for his condition.

Lots of vibes for Fudge

Thank you for the information. He rarely has carrots or bananas and never tomato so no change there. I can’t help but think I’ve made this happen. I rarely have parsley before Coco died as was always worried about calcium. Since she’s passed I gave him more, plus he ate kale. But I think this dandelion season may have done it - I gave him so many when I was giving him the ear cleaner as there were tonnes in our garden. 🤦🏻*♀️ I feel so guilty.

I have been syringe him (Which he takes himself) quite a bit of water with soaked pellets so will continue this as he loves the flavour. (He won’t drink water out of a bowl so this is probably the easiest way to get him more liquids). He likes cucumber and chopped up celery so will continue them.

I very much doubt that feeding him dandelion leaves has caused the problem. It is far more likely to be an age related issue-eg calcification of the kidneys, combined with the possibility of damage from previous exposure to EC or to long term use of NSAIDs. Did the Vet give any advice about lowering the dose of Meloxicam or changing the type of analgesia being given ? If not I would certainly want to discuss this with them as NSAID use needs to be carefully monitored in cases of CRF.

I had a bunny who had CRF before they prescribed meds. He got a lot of syringe feeds to keep his weight acceptable and I also gave him sub Q fluids every day during his final year with me. I am not sure if they still do the fluid therapy, so I thought I would mention that it helped my 12/13 year old bunny feel better.

Sending you and Fudge lots of vibes that the treatment plan will give you much more quality time together.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about Fudges test results. I would say don't beat yourself up about the dandelions, Frances Harcourt-Brown recommended them for their diuretic properties. I had a beautiful lil bun in Chronic Kidney Failure, his Vet was Frances Protege & she had no issue with him eating some kale & lots of dandelions. My vet was very pro syringe feeding too - as much as a (relatively)natural way to get fluids in to them which is key. My boy only ate wet food, I fought this for age tring to find a fibrestick or hay he'd try - it took me ages to realise by eating fresh it was the best thing for his condition.

Lots of vibes for Fudge

Thank you

I had a bunny who had CRF before they prescribed meds. He got a lot of syringe feeds to keep his weight acceptable and I also gave him sub Q fluids every day during his final year with me. I am not sure if they still do the fluid therapy, so I thought I would mention that it helped my 12/13 year old bunny feel better.

Sending you and Fudge lots of vibes that the treatment plan will give you much more quality time together.

Thank you

I very much doubt that feeding him dandelion leaves has caused the problem. It is far more likely to be an age related issue-eg calcification of the kidneys, combined with the possibility of damage from previous exposure to EC or to long term use of NSAIDs. Did the Vet give any advice about lowering the dose of Meloxicam or changing the type of analgesia being given ? If not I would certainly want to discuss this with them as NSAID use needs to be carefully monitored in cases of CRF.

Thank you. I did ask and she said to keep him what he is for now and might add in Tramadol at a later date. He has to go back in 3/4 weeks so will make sure have a good discussion thank you. He has never been tested for EC although Coco was (negative result).

Back