• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed

meganjulie

New Kit
I have two 10 week old bunnies who are separated at the moment as they’re not being neutered and spayed until they’re 6 months. I was with them this morning and popped out the room for less than 5 minutes, when i got back there was fur (from the female rabbit) on the floor in the males pen, but both were in their own pens asleep. I can only assume she got in there somehow and something happened before getting back to her own area. There’s no evidence of either of them being hurt in anyway, both are acting as if nothing happened. I need advice on what i should do, should i be concerned? Obviously will be taking extra precautions to stop this happening again but i’m very worried and feel like i’ve let them down as a bunny mum.

The male didn't pull the fur off through the bars/wire? If they are definitely 10 weeks old then there shouldn't be anything to worry about regarding a pregnancy. Rabbits can jump great heights if they want to. If the boy was neutered earlier then given time to become infertile, you could bond them sooner and have the girl spayed at six months. Otherwise it is probably best to keep them well apart as when he gets older he will try to get with her to mate.

You haven't let them down. It can be a steep learning curve having bunnies. Tonibuns advice is good

I consider myself an experienced rabbit owner but my recent foster was a proper houdini. We tried everything and couldn't figure out how he kept escaping. Some bunnies are just michevious like that and its certainly not a failing of the owner. My suggestion would also of been through the bars if they are wide enough. You could be some cheap correx from b&q and temp cable tie it onto the divider, or even cardboard might work as an interim measure.

Back