• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Guilt after getting rabbit put to sleep :(

sunshinex

New Kit
Hi all,

My sweet 10 year old bunny Fluffy was put to sleep this morning under the vets recommendation but I feel so guilty.

Yesterday she tried to stand up on her back legs and I noticed a lot of blood, rushed her to the emergency out of hours vet who said it was a mammory tumour and she must have caught it on something in the garden which caused a wound and gave her some painkillers (she’s an outdoor bunny). I took her to our normal routine vet this morning who found a second tumour and also said her liver was swollen and it was likely the tumours had metastasised to her lungs. She said her post op recovery would be really hard due to her age and she’s likely in a lot of pain so recommended putting her to sleep. Fluffy was still hopping (albeit slowly) round her hutch and eating hay this morning although she wasn’t drinking and now I feel so guilty and that I should have given her more time or went through with the operation or something :(

I’m not even sure why I’m posting, I guess I just feel like I may have made the wrong decision and I’m devastated

Hi all,

My sweet 10 year old bunny Fluffy was put to sleep this morning under the vets recommendation but I feel so guilty.

Yesterday she tried to stand up on her back legs and I noticed a lot of blood, rushed her to the emergency out of hours vet who said it was a mammory tumour and she must have caught it on something in the garden which caused a wound and gave her some painkillers (she’s an outdoor bunny). I took her to our normal routine vet this morning who found a second tumour and also said her liver was swollen and it was likely the tumours had metastasised to her lungs. She said her post op recovery would be really hard due to her age and she’s likely in a lot of pain so recommended putting her to sleep. Fluffy was still hopping (albeit slowly) round her hutch and eating hay this morning although she wasn’t drinking and now I feel so guilty and that I should have given her more time or went through with the operation or something :(

I’m not even sure why I’m posting, I guess I just feel like I may have made the wrong decision and I’m devastated

I am so sorry for your loss :cry: From what you have posted I think you made absolutely the right decision for Fluffy. In every way it was the 'best' thing for her. Your selfless actions show a final act of true love for a dear Bunny friend. Fluffy will have looked to you to do right by her. You have not let her down

RIP Fluffy xx

I am so sorry for your loss, and I totally understand the feelings you have. I am someone who really struggles with the decision to put to sleep, even though really I know it is the only way. Honestly, from what you've said, it was the kindest thing you could have done.

So sorry that you have lost Fluffy. I think its only natural to have that "what if" feeling, but I agree that you did the right thing by her, and acted selflessly putting her interests before your own. She sounds as though she had a wonderful life in your care, and knew your love right to the end. R.I.P. Fluffy xxx

I’m sure that you made absolutely the right decision and the vet wouldn’t have suggested it if it wasn’t the kindest thing for her.

I’ve only ever had to have one rabbit PTS, and like you I questioned myself and felt guilty for not noticing any signs earlier. It’s part of the grieving process. I hope eventually you can find comfort in knowing that you gave Fluffy a lovely life with you and that you had her best interests in your heart right to the end.

I’m so sorry for your loss. Sending you hugs and RIP beautiful Fluffy x

Sending hugs you definitely did the kindest thing for your bunny. I know how hard it is and then you question if it was the right thing to do. Binky free little one xx

I too think you did right by Fluffy. Its a lot to process, especially when it all happens so quickly. Doubting everything & you did & didn't do is totally normal. Sweet dreams Fluffy, you were clearly very well loved

I would have done exactly the same and felt exactly the same. The what-ifs are awful :( But you did do your absolute best for Fluffy and certainly the right thing. Big hugs to you at this sad time xx

I am so sorry for your loss :cry: From what you have posted I think you made absolutely the right decision for Fluffy. In every way it was the 'best' thing for her. Your selfless actions show a final act of true love for a dear Bunny friend. Fluffy will have looked to you to do right by her. You have not let her down

RIP Fluffy xx
Agree 100% You gave your girl a peaceful goodby to her wonderful life in loving care. So sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry you have lost Fluffy. Beautiful name.

I had a similar situation with a bun last year (no warning of a serious situation and then put to sleep). it is an awful situation & takes a long time to come to terms with. xxx

Back