Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Rabbit insurance: Who are you with... Fantastic update!! - post 18

  1. #1
    Wise Old Thumper Bunny Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,310

    Default Rabbit insurance: Who are you with... Fantastic update!! - post 18

    I've just had a huge shock with Gilbert's renewal - Helpucover...

    Year 1 - 94
    year 2 -138 (he had had surgery for a blockage so I claimed 1,200)
    year 3 - 208 (no claims in previous year)

    Gulp. I have 6 policies with Helpucover, all of which I have made claims on so maybe not wise to swap... including Joel who has also had blockage surgery ... watch this space

    I will be seriously considering cancelling Gilbert's insurance next renewal. I don't like Helpucover's terms in that they expect a 25% payment from age five so I was always a bit meh okay about them. They have been excellent in paying etc.

    My most recent policies are all with Agria, I'm just wanting to compare experiences.

    I'd fallen for a minilop who needs a new mum who I thought might like to come and live with Lois but this is a bit of a wake up call and may have to rethink. (But if I can hear some positive stories I might feel more like committing).
    Last edited by Bunny Buddy; 22-10-2020 at 10:19 AM.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper Bunny Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,310

    Default

    I just did a dummy insurance quote for Gilly using his details but a false name and it comes in at 128 per annum. Grrrr.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

  3. #3
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    23,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    I just did a dummy insurance quote for Gilly using his details but a false name and it comes in at 128 per annum. Grrrr.
    Call them up? Often there's a lower price available, every year my car insurance renewal comes through, I call up and they have a minimum number they'll go to which they can just offer you if you ask maybe worth a try? I'd say tho about having gotten a quote with them which is cheaper.

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper Bunny Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Call them up? Often there's a lower price available, every year my car insurance renewal comes through, I call up and they have a minimum number they'll go to which they can just offer you if you ask maybe worth a try? I'd say tho about having gotten a quote with them which is cheaper.

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I have tried in the past with PetPlan but they know they have got you over a barrel so don't budge. It's worth a punt, I suppose...

    I have just saved 70 on my car insurance by swapping (AXA didn't even offer to try to match my other quote),
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

  5. #5
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    23,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    Thanks. I have tried in the past with PetPlan but they know they have got you over a barrel so don't budge. It's worth a punt, I suppose...

    I have just saved 70 on my car insurance by swapping (AXA didn't even offer to try to match my other quote),
    Yea definitely worth a go. It's tricky though because of exclusions with pet health insurance.

    Blimey that's poor!

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Forum Buddy Liz47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Posts
    10,532

    Default

    I am with PetPlan for Bigwig, the only/first rabbit I have insured as I got her from a baby (hand reared). My older adopted rabbits I find already have too much pre-existing to be worth it. I have only had one renewal, initially I was paying 9 something a month and now it is almost 12. No claims, although she is having treatment atm which I will claim for. If it goes up at renewal I will consider cancelling, as I find it unreasonable to go up excessively each year for a young rabbit. I am in a position to be able to afford vet bills for the rabbits without insurance.

    With my dog I reduced his monthly premiums by opting for a higher excess payment, they did offer to reduce monthly premiums further with a % copayment but I declined that. Most have this as mandatory when the pet reaches a certain age but luckily Tesco doesn't.

    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper Bunny Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Call them up? Often there's a lower price available, every year my car insurance renewal comes through, I call up and they have a minimum number they'll go to which they can just offer you if you ask maybe worth a try? I'd say tho about having gotten a quote with them which is cheaper.

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I was pretty sure they wouldn't budge on price. It was obvious it was non-negotiable. She said it was because there was a claim on the policy. But it's gone up with a bigger jump this year than last and no claim in the year just gone.

    I explained that there were claims on all the policies that I had with them so I was expecting that with all of them... She didn't contradict me just kept saying "sorry". Boo. What I expected but nothing ventured and all that. I just hope Agria don't do the same or I'm going to be pedalling fast to keep up!
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper Bunny Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz47 View Post
    I am with PetPlan for Bigwig, the only/first rabbit I have insured as I got her from a baby (hand reared). My older adopted rabbits I find already have too much pre-existing to be worth it. I have only had one renewal, initially I was paying 9 something a month and now it is almost 12. No claims, although she is having treatment atm which I will claim for. If it goes up at renewal I will consider cancelling, as I find it unreasonable to go up excessively each year for a young rabbit. I am in a position to be able to afford vet bills for the rabbits without insurance.

    With my dog I reduced his monthly premiums by opting for a higher excess payment, they did offer to reduce monthly premiums further with a % copayment but I declined that. Most have this as mandatory when the pet reaches a certain age but luckily Tesco doesn't.
    Thanks

    I had loads of policies with PetPlan with my original rabbits and they went up a steady 20 a year. In the end Elijah and Erin were about 300 a year With massive excesses. I cancelled Esme and then she needed blockage surgery at about 1k. PetPlan might be expensive but at least they are predictable. Gilbert isn't even 3 years old and if his insurance is over 200 now God knows what it will be like in a few years time.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper daphnephoebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    10,769

    Default

    I'm with PetPlan and would only ever go with them. I used to be a pet insurance advisor for my vet practice so saw all the good and bad sides of different companies.

    The trouble with insurance is if your pet has ever had treatment for something, even if not claimed it would be a pre-existing condition and you won't get it covered by a new policy. (Sometimes you can arrange an exclusion period that clears if no symptoms or signs for an agreed amount).

    Definitely call and see if they can offer a lower cost, ensure any multipet discounts have been applied etc.


    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Even the strongest need to have a day of weakness

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper Bunny Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    I'm with PetPlan and would only ever go with them. I used to be a pet insurance advisor for my vet practice so saw all the good and bad sides of different companies.

    The trouble with insurance is if your pet has ever had treatment for something, even if not claimed it would be a pre-existing condition and you won't get it covered by a new policy. (Sometimes you can arrange an exclusion period that clears if no symptoms or signs for an agreed amount).

    Definitely call and see if they can offer a lower cost, ensure any multipet discounts have been applied etc.

    I'm not so much thinking of swapping as I'm familiar with the pre-existing conditions pitfall with pet insurance. I'm more looking to the future to evaluate if there's any company I would consider viable for my needs.

    Petplan are good at paying out etc but their premiums and excesses for older rabbits make them untenable for me with the amount of rabbits I want to insure. (Inky is with them but that's a one-off).

    Agria T&C suit my needs but I just wish I knew if they were as likely as Helpucover to hike up the premiums. I have had some helpful (positive) feedback from Facebook.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •