• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finding my bunny a friend, bunny escaped - need advice!

Katiecx

New Kit
Hi, I’m looking for advice on what to do about my 4 month old mini lop bunny. I got two buns from the same litter, one boy and one girl- however yesterday my doe escaped and is no where to be seen. We believe that she will not come back. I’m afraid of the remaining bun becoming depressed as he is already acting different and is less active. I’m wanting to introduce a new bunny so that he doesn’t become lonely however I don’t know how to. Do I get a young bunny? Or an older one for example one that is a year old? I’m aware that I would have to get marble (my buck) sprayed before introducing another bunny. Please give advice as I am completely stuck on what to do and am already devastated by the loss of my girl and am afraid to lose marble too.

Oh no, I wouldn't rush into anything just yet. Have you had any sightings of your doe since she escaped? One of my bunnies I caught as an escaped pet and no one claimed him, he'd been spotted for at least a week before I caught him so he was surviving somewhere. You may have done this already, but I would post on social media (there may be a lost pet group for your area or just a general area page so people can look out for her), ring round all local vets/rescues so they are aware and leave your details incase she's handed in, leave a shelter and food out (more than one ideally) around your house and keep a close eye on these. I don't know if there's truth in this but some say scattering other rabbit poo (your boys) may attract her back.

In the long run if she is unable to be found Marble needs neutering and once recovered (up to 6 weeks before he is no longer fertile) a spayed female would be the best pairing. I really hope you find your girl though

I once adopted a domestic rabbit that was found in a person's yard. Don't give up hope this soon. Is there a reason you believe your girl will not come back?

Back