• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do bunny bonding services work?

bunnyman14

New Kit
*POSTING FOR A FRIEND*

I have a friend who had a bonded pair that have been together since he adopted them, both neutered/spayed, it was a male holland lop, Baxters, whos around 3 years old and a female rex, Wendy, who recently passed away at the age of 11.

My friend is looking into rescuing another rabbit for Baxter to bond with so he isnt lonely and is wondering how rescues and boarding services actually bond their rabbits to external rabbits.

Are there any special precautions he should take, Baxter is already neutered and up to date with his vaccines and is healthy, just very heartbroken

thanks

I have used a Bunny Bonder in Leeds, called Jade, that was with Dillon and Susan. She had them at her house for just over 2 weeks and they returned home with a strong bond. Rupert and Susan went back there 2 years later (after Dillys death) it didnt work for them.

I bond for my local rescue. The potential adopter drops their existing rabbits off at my house on a Friday evening (I work fulltime so can only do weekend bonds), I then start the bunnies off in a neutral bonding pen first thing on a Sat morning so that I have the full day to supervise them and can hopefully safely go to bed on the evening. I then keep the bunnies as long as needed. I try to introduce as many things as possible whilst they are here, litter trays, tunnels, food bowls etc so I can send them home pretty confident that all bases are covered. I give the owners full written instruction when they collect on how the bunnies have been, advice on increasing space gradually etc. I actively encorage them to contact me with any concerns once they get home, with videos if possible.

I have done 4 bonds in the last 3 weeks as I decided to adopt my foster bun permanently and I'm so booked with bondings I did two at once this weekend. Usually I would only do one at a time, but as one lot were my own I was pretty confident they wouldn't need much from me.

The rescue policy is that all buns are neutered and vaccinated.

Some rescues may do this very differently though.

Back