• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

We Lost Beatrice - Update on Cause of Death

I had a bunny die at home suddenly. He was fine minutes before he died and we never knew what caused him to die. As you experienced with Beatrice , it is very traumatic for the person. That does not mean it was traumatic for our pets. You did everything right. She recovered doing exactly the same thing a short time before so you had no reason to think differently.
The vet noticed you are good bunny parents and a sad outcome does not change that fact.

Guys, thank you so so much for sharing your experiences. It's actually been an incredible comfort to me.

I have an update about what might of happened to Beatrice, as we were back to the vet this afternoon with a very sad, stasis-y Hamilton :( First of all, he's okay and is on Baytril for the next week. The vet says it's likely that this has been brought on my grief. The two of them were extremely close.

So I spoke to a vetinary nurse who was also attending to Beatrice yesterday, and she gave me a lot more details than the vet did on the phone, which in turn has given me a bit more closure. She thinks that Beatrice had a twisted bowel and that even if they had operated, as she had done on another rabbit in the past, it is very unlikely that Beatrice would have made it. Of course, Beatrice passed away before they had the chance to operate. The reason why I think this is the case is because she choked on water and it came right back up, a reflex that would be triggered by a twisted bowel. She was saying that dogs and horses can get it too, and it can literally be brought on by a sudden movement. I know a person who had a twisted bowel and she was in hospital for a couple of weeks because of it.

Anyway, this has very slightly helped me as I grieve. The vet said Beatrice's rapid decline was severe and there was really nothing we could have done to help her. She said it was traumatic for the staff to see her decline too and that she completely understands why we've found it so devastating. I thought you guys might like to know. Thank you so much again for the very lovely words.

Thank you Beapig. I know how hard this is for you - a time when your heart is broken. People who you've never met have shared their love towards you and in some small way, when we all go through these events, it is a comfort in some way to have that support. But also I think that to get closure and an understanding, it can help sometimes to have an analysis of what happend. And you have had that - which will in the long term help.
What I also think is poignant and some times people forget, is that the vetinary staff also get effected by these cases and they are also human and also carers for animals. We often overlook how they must feel - how they also bury their emotions and deal with cases professionally but yet still also can display the greatest sympathy as well.
I can vouch for the caring and sympathetic way that vets react to a loved pet passing whilst in consultation. It does help.
Sending you much hugs Beapig. And loads of vibes for Hamilton. xx

Thanks for letting us know what the VN said. It will help to put your mind at ease more, but still heart-breaking. xx

Beapig I am so sorry to read this :( It's absolutely heart breaking. I am sending so many hugs to you and OH. I lost Toby driving back from the vets after I was told he was ok and could come home. We got half way home and he has a heart attack in the car. Bunny loss can be so sudden, cruel and unfair and we all know the heartache here. Sending lots of love xxx Binky free Beatrice, may you be reunited with the beautiful plumpkin

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks Beapig, I'm glad you've had a little bit of closure now, and can draw comfort from knowing you and vets did all you could. I really hope that Hamilton picks up soon. Big hugs for you both xxx

I am sending you and Hamilton lots of positive vibes. It is good to know that the nurse was able to give you comfort in knowing there was nothing you could have done to save your beloved Beatrice. While this knowledge does not erase your grief, it should restore your confidence that you are good bunny parents.

I did not post this before as I did not feel it'd be helpful. But my thoughts were that Beatrice may have had a liver lobe torsion, if not a bowel torsion. The presentation she gave was typical for that of a LLT

I really am so sorry that you lost her and I do hope that Hamilton will make a full recovery x

Back