• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boobly bears eyes - blind bunny musings

Awww lovely pictures of joey and boo. I used to have a blind bunny who used to sit with paws up, bless boo. Boo is ninja warrior princess so I don’t worry about her too much, she’s the bested :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awww lovely pictures of joey and boo. I used to have a blind bunny who used to sit with paws up, bless boo. Boo is ninja warrior princess so I don’t worry about her too much, she’s the bested :love:

awwww & thank you

Boobly doesn't half run into stuff a lot - wardrobe legs, bed legs, doors. We have a small table at the bottom of the bed she uses to get up at nugget time. This is absolutely her favourite time of the day. At first it was permanent heart in mouth as she'd take blind jump at all sorts of angles trying to get on table / bed. I put a bath mat under the table & a drop of lavender ess oil in each corner & she's better now (though not perfect) as I think she uses the scent to guide her.

its sad watching her bump in to things & I do worry maybe it hurts / she'll get a headache. I was thinking of strapping bits of fabric covered foam around everything but Joeys a nibbler (think he destroys more than eats). Fleece strips could work. Do you think this would help or am I worrying about nothing?

TcU030Zl.jpg

Last edited:
You are such a clever bunny mum to think of things like lavender drops :love:

Have you seen these? If you type in corner protectors on eBay or Amazon there is all different styles
85a1de6498d6c780fab6bc1f1b87d0a1.jpg

But it’s weather you could get one that you feel would be safe for Mr Snicket

One thing that could work is using hamster tubes, cutting them down and stretching them over the corner. I say hamster tube because they are more rigid than toilet rolls and might stay. I used to cut them in half and wrap them around furniture legs with sharp edges. I stuff with hay to garnish. I have some protecting Dennis from the radiator pipes in the bunny room as he had an obsession once a upon a time.

Aww thanks for all those idea Loobers, thats v kind.

I love how you've protected your pipe, such a thoughtful bunny mum. I might have a play round with stuff in the house first, strips of fleece or maybe Bobs socks

Aww thanks for all those idea Loobers, thats v kind.

I love how you've protected your pipe, such a thoughtful bunny mum. I might have a play round with stuff in the house first, strips of fleece or maybe Bobs socks

:lol: he will be wondering why he is short on socks in his drawer :lol: lovely photo of Boo :love: had a blind cat as a child and she was ok as long as we didn’t move the furniture around. Her whiskers grew more forward and she used them as a warning.

Lopsy and Chibbs are always falling off things and they've got a full complement of eyes, they're just a bit stupid :lol: I worry about Lopsy because he's a big lump and not young anymore, and I reckon he's going to top himself falling backwards off the windowsill one day. A pile of fleeces wouldn't be a bad start :) The corner protection I worry about though: my bunnies scrabble when they half-miss and anything on the edge gets torn off by their claws (the carpet's nice and frayed), so I dunno how effective it would be?

I've been thinking what I would do in this situation. Tui's not blind, but she certainly hasn't got good sight. She scans when she's unsure of what she's seeing. She regularly gets spooked by little things when she's in the run and the immediate reaction is to cascade through the cat-flap at top speed into the shed. As she's a large bunny, there's not a lot of room as she goes through and so her body bangs against the sides. I haven't and don't think I would do anything to mitigate this.

I think on balance I wouldn't do anything more to protect Boo either. The bath mat under the table plus the lavender are good though, as long as the bath mat doesn't get chewed.

Boobly doesn't half run into stuff a lot - wardrobe legs, bed legs, doors. We have a small table at the bottom of the bed she uses to get up at nugget time. This is absolutely her favourite time of the day. At first it was permanent heart in mouth as she'd take blind jump at all sorts of angles trying to get on table / bed. I put a bath mat under the table & a drop of lavender ess oil in each corner & she's better now (though not perfect) as I think she uses the scent to guide her.

its sad watching her bump in to things & I do worry maybe it hurts / she'll get a headache. I was thinking of strapping bits of fabric covered foam around everything but Joeys a nibbler (think he destroys more than eats). Fleece strips could work. Do you think this would help or am I worrying about nothing?

TcU030Zl.jpg
[/IMG]
I'm sorry I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say that that's such a great idea to put the bath mat under the table and mark the corners for her with lavender oil. I can see why it's hard to see her bump into things and why you worry... I think anything you can add as protection could be helpful to her, and if something like fleece strips wouldn't get nibbled by Joey then I think it's definitely worth a try.
Also, that photo is adorable. :love:

Thank You for sharing your thoughts. I have decided I'll use some strips of old fleece to cushion the bed legs as a starting point. She gets very excited at nugget time so when she is trying to get to the table to the bed she's at most risk of head banging.

J&B have always been the kind of rabbits that will run off to "hide" with practically any food. For some reason it surprises me she still does this. Nowadays I tend to feed stuff in smaller pieces in a pile. I think Boo likes it best when she runs in to me & realises if she stays by my side she'll get to finish her treat. Not hugely impressed with Joey though - no allowances made for her disability. This morning he grabbed a hay cake from me, squirrelled it, then siddled up to Boo to share hers like they'd only been given one betwen them. Today was a good day, on bad days he'd run of with hers too. The weird thing is he is food territorial but not actually that greedy - Boo can eat him under the table any day of the week :lol:

Haha naughty Joey!

One of my rabbits is deaf (white with blue eyes) she doesnt spook at anything until her beloved Frosty reacts.

Moondust (red eyed white) occasionally scans but is also happy to race around the enclosure at speed, as is her very lively buck, Loganberry.

I love the thoughtful caring touch of a soft mat and of lavender corners.

Thank You for sharing your thoughts. I have decided I'll use some strips of old fleece to cushion the bed legs as a starting point. She gets very excited at nugget time so when she is trying to get to the table to the bed she's at most risk of head banging.

J&B have always been the kind of rabbits that will run off to "hide" with practically any food. For some reason it surprises me she still does this. Nowadays I tend to feed stuff in smaller pieces in a pile. I think Boo likes it best when she runs in to me & realises if she stays by my side she'll get to finish her treat. Not hugely impressed with Joey though - no allowances made for her disability. This morning he grabbed a hay cake from me, squirrelled it, then siddled up to Boo to share hers like they'd only been given one betwen them. Today was a good day, on bad days he'd run of with hers too. The weird thing is he is food territorial but not actually that greedy - Boo can eat him under the table any day of the week :lol:
That sounds like a good idea, and I hope it'll help Boo.

That Joey, eating his own hay cake and then making Boo share hers with him, too. That's not how sharing works, Joey. :roll::lol:

Back