• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hair pulling- Pregnant?

Loopylou55

New Kit
I woke up yesterday to my Lionhead doe pulling hair and making a nest. I’m a new rabbit owner so googled what this was and it said she was preparing to give birth. This is possible as my male did break into the cage(I just can’t remember when that was)
My daughter then let her out in garden for a couple of hours she returned to her cage not giving the nest much attention. I’ve kept checking her today and the nest is untouched. How long does it usually take to give birth from hair pulling? I’m starting to worry she gave birth in the garden 😩
Could she not be pregnant?

It is possible that she might not be pregnant but it is also very likely that she is. You will just have to wait now to see what transpires. A rabbit gives birth approximately 31 days after mating.

I too would leave it there, behaviour and what to do and when can vary significantly from doe to doe, building a nest early isn't that unusual. I would take a safe estimate on when they got together, and wait 35 days from then to be sure she isn't pregnant.

You did check the garden thoroughly, right? If they have the chance they dig a tunnel for the nest, but can use any corner in a pinch.

Yes, I have checked the garden and all corners, shed and behind the hut, nothing. I will leave the nest there for a little while longer. She hasn’t gone near it again and I have been watching her after I have given fresh hay and she just eats it, so no longer nesting. It’s thrown me a little bit but I guess it is a phantom pregnancy 🤷🏼*♀️

Back