• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unusual behaviour

Nibbles06

New Kit
I have a single rabbit, that has been displaying some unusual behaviour recently. In the past she has lost two partners and I am wondering if her recent loss is the cause.
She has been almost obsessively "grooming" objects around the house, like soft pillows, carpets and stuffed animals. Her pillow (animal shaped) is missing a lot of fluff because of this. I am confused by this, and would love some suggestions. She has little interest in her toys and only plays in her tunnels. We are also struggling to decide if a new partner is a good option, as she is 5 now.

some bunnies do seem to take comfort licking soft toys & furnishings. The last bunny I rescued (he was bereaved) arrived with a massive cuddly dog he used to groom relentlessly. Even after bonding him he reserved quite a lot of his affection for cuddly toys . Did this start when she lost her friend? I'd say 5 is fine to be getting her a new partner - she is about 45 in human years, depending on her size

I would say that she is displaying signs of loss and grieving and her way of coping with that is to groom other items. This is her natural instinct and her way of trying to deal with the situation. She’s lost 2 partners so she will feel a sense of loss and perhaps not able to understand why.
She is 5 years old and still has plenty of love and life for another companion so finding her a similar aged partner would help give an older rabbit another special forever home with an affectionate rabbit and a very loving special family.

Thanks for the help! Are there any recommendations for UK based adoption centres? I will purchase her another tunnel house in the meantime.

I think rabbit rehome is one to try, but I know that there will be many wonderful ru forum friends on here with great recommendations for you.

Back