• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taking to vets: both or singly?

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Aboleth and Lopsy always used to go to the vets together, partly because I harmonised their vaccinations, partly because they did provide reassurance of sorts: Aboleth didn't travel very well at all and Lopsy basically ignored her but I think having somebun to roll into when the car goes round a corner is useful (they don't know those corners are coming!).

Today was the first time Chibbs has been in the carrier since arriving here in January. I got them in well in time so my nerves had a chance, but while they were sat in the hall Chibbs was humping Lopsy, trying to chase him around the carrier (it's a Catit Cabriolet, she's got enough room to do so :S) and generally being a little :censored:. I covered them with a thin dark tablecloth and there was a solitary thump sometime after, but my usual trick of settling them for 30mins before the car journey (10mins average) was basically voided. They were fine on the journey after a brief altercation, but there was no fur pulling or anything, and the vet said they were all fine (I did warn him!). She wasn't massively keen on going in the carrier but I think that's because it's a new thing and she takes time to trust. I deliberately put it in a few hours beforehand with one side down and the door off as I didn't know how CHibbs would react and I'd had one of the Honeybunnies in there on Saturday, but I'd also well-disinfected it when I got home Saturdayand left it open in the garage since. Lopsy didn't seem fussed, and when he's been in a carrier that smells of different rabbit before he's been very interested, so I assume it was just that it's different.

Our vets are still on two different vaccinations so Lopsy's back in in two weeks. My question is: should I take them both again (I wanted to get Chibbs checked and registered today) or just Lopsy? WWYD?

I go against the general advice of taking bonded pairs together with Jake and Jasmine, as Jasmine gets so stressed she usually ends up in stasis so she never accompanies Jake or has him for company as Jake is a nipper in the carrier so I find he adds to her stress. So in this slightly similar situation I would be inclined to take Lopsy on his own

I always take together if they both need to go (i.e. vaccinations) but I can see why Liz47 doesn't.

I sometimes leave Joey at home as he is such a stressy traveller & its a long journey. if they were staying in I'd like them to have a friend though

I would just take the bunny who needs to go. A couple of hours separation shouldn't be a problem.

Both of mine get stressed in the car and the vets, so I would leave one at home if they didn't both need to go. So I would just take Lopsy.

I always take the buns on their own. This is mainly because Snoopy gets stressed going to the vet, he takes it out on Fudgie, they bicker and if I'm not careful it can blow up into a fight.

There's been no issues with their bond when they've been taken separately. Fudgie's had three overnight stays and it's still all been fine.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I know the general orthodoxy is that you always take both but sometimes it is actually better to take just one on their own.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, that's very reassuring :) They spend large chunks of the day nowhere near each other so hopefully it won't be an issue. I can always lock Chibbs out of the playhouse and lock Lopsy in if necessary (Chibbs will still have the hutch to shelter in if it's wet, everything's replicated in the hutch and playhouse), and leave it like that until I get back. It was so quick at the vets yesterday I don't think it'll be an issue, especially as it's just a second vaccination, no full checkup etc. :)

Back