• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit run wood or metal

Rackeluk

Warren Scout
Hi, I’m looking to try and make a new run, I want a double height run so I can put steps and Jumping logs in it, just checking wood you suggest wood or metal?
We have a wood one at the moment which our bunny chews on like mad, I’ve been told to use Avery boards, what would you suggest?
I’ve had a look at ones for sale but I can’t see any like what I want and don’t know where I can go to to get one custom built.

I would use strong small aperture weldmesh on the inside so bunny can’t chew the wooden framework. The metal runs are often flimsy and the bars too widely spaced which means they can get trapped. Aviary panels are a good idea.

Another option is to use metal puppy pen panels for the walls and wooden framed aviary panels for the roof. The spacing of puppy panel bars is usually smaller than for metal rabbit runs, plus you can get different heights (2', 3', 4'), but they need a roof to keep predators out and bunnies in.

Personally, I would look for quality aviary panels (with small hole but heavy duty weldmesh) as it is a much easier job to screw (or hinge) them together to make a good size rabbit run. Put the mesh on the inside and they won't get demolished by chewing.

We made our first run and put the mesh on the outside as I didn’t want the rabbits hurting themselves, I realised that it would have stopped the chewing, I’m learning a lot!!
I’ve been looking for some aviary boards, not found any close to home yet but I’ll keep looking.

Check out the Omlet runs. We added chicken wire around the lower part to keep out cats paws etc They are metal so no rotting or chewing and no signs of rust.

Check out the Omlet runs. We added chicken wire around the lower part to keep out cats paws etc They are metal so no rotting or chewing and no signs of rust.
I've got to say, I'm quite impressed with the Omlet 'runs': they're just hardwearing fencing panels usually available to contractors (I've seen them around schools and the University here), but Omlet provide an easy way of buying a small amount for domestic use :) I might get some for my fence!

I’ve ordered an enclosure from Omlet with a shelter and loads of tubes, I’m contemplating attaching a tube to the hutch that will in the enclosure

Back