• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering death

Hello, so my rabbit who sadly just passed away a few hours ago just got neutered the same day. He seemed perfectly fine and they said his surgery went great but a few hours after we got home he died. When I found him he was stiff as board so I knew right away, my husband told me that when he looked at his balls they were swollen and blue. They weren’t like that when I brought him home so could some please tell me what could have possibly killed my baby boy. Thank you

Hello, so my rabbit who sadly just passed away a few hours ago just got neutered the same day. He seemed perfectly fine and they said his surgery went great but a few hours after we got home he died. When I found him he was stiff as board so I knew right away, my husband told me that when he looked at his balls they were swollen and blue. They weren’t like that when I brought him home so could some please tell me what could have possibly killed my baby boy. Thank you

I am really sorry :cry: Without a PM examination it is impossible to say why your Rabbit passed away. After a castration some swelling and bruising can occur, but it should not be severe. I would contact the Vet who carried out the procedure to let them know what has happened

Tragic :cry:

I’m so very sorry. Several years ago, I had two boys from the same litter neutered. One was fine, but the other passed away at some point during or just after the operation. Sadly, rabbits ate very fragile creatures and sometimes the stress of the operation and the sedatives that they give are just too much for them. It’s the same in humans, whenever you have an operation in the consent form you have to accept that there are risks, which include things like heart attacks, strokes abd death. These things are rare, but do happen.
I’m so very sorry that you lost your beautiful boy. You did nothing wrong, having him neutered was the right thing to do to ensure he had a good quality of life.
As Jane says definitely speak with your vet and I hope that you can find enough answers to help you cope with this. We have a subsection on the Forum where people can make a post to mourn the passing of their loved bun and to celebrate those happy memories, if that would help you to post there x

I'm so sorry to hear this news. You were doing the absolute best for your boy by having him neutered. So sorry he didn't react well to the surgery. Please let the vet know. Sweet dreams little bun xx

Back