• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reccomend me a hutch

ifama_k

New Kit
Hi guys,

New on here and to rabbits so take it easy on me. I'm after some reccomendations for a 5ft hutch. Any decent companies that make sturdy hutches.

It will be housing 2 mini lops. I can't go larger than 5ft wide and 2ft deep. I will be adding a run instead. I have a month to find and buy one.

Regards Mal.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I’m afraid 5ftx2ft would be too small. The rwaf and Pdsa minimum recommended hutch size is 6ftx2ft with a permanently attached run of 8ftx6ft. As they do need a lot of space, being active at all times. There’s lots of information on this here https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-housing/why-hutch-not-enough/
Thanks for your reply. I was going to place the hutch infront of a summer house which unfortunately only has the 5ft space. I was then going to attach a run infront. I will have a look and see if I can place the hutch elsewhere. But this will also mean it will be open to elements in the colder months. Infront of the summerhouse it would have been protected. I'll reevaluate and see it can be placed elsewhere and try go for a 6ft.

Regards Mal.

Could you partition off part of the summerhouse? This would be cheaper, better for the rabbits and easier for you to clean. You could then attach a run to the outside with a cat flap between.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could you partition off part of the summerhouse? This would be cheaper, better for the rabbits and easier for you to clean. You could then attach a run to the outside with a cat flap between.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Jemima,

I will look into this also. I would prefer to just a have the hutch infront though. I've got another place in the garden were I can get the 6ft hutch but it's open to elements and also on slabs and I would have preferred them to be on grass also protected with the summerhouse behind the hutch.

I'll see if converting part of the summerhouse is an option.

Thanks.

sorry to say, but in my personal opinion even a 6' hutch is way too small for a rabbit :( bit like keeping a horse in a stable 24/7 365. they really do need to have some space to run around.
if it were 2 storey that would be slightly better.

sorry to say, but in my personal opinion even a 6' hutch is way too small for a rabbit :( bit like keeping a horse in a stable 24/7 365. they really do need to have some space to run around.
if it were 2 storey that would be slightly better.

Totally agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are your thoughts on having a rabbit hutch inside a enclosure like this. The enclosure will be 8ft x 4ft but unfortunately the hutch would have to be 2 tier 4ft x2ft with 6ft space infront. Would this work? Rabbits would be free to leave hutch and roam around inside. I could also have part of the roof corrugated.

Mal.

2403c3bb0d4ce1f72cc9fe1fd464b925.jpg

What are your thoughts on having a rabbit hutch inside a enclosure like this. The enclosure will be 8ft x 4ft but unfortunately the hutch would have to be 2 tier 4ft x2ft with 6ft space infront. Would this work? Rabbits would be free to leave hutch and roam around inside. I could also have part of the roof corrugated.

Mal.

2403c3bb0d4ce1f72cc9fe1fd464b925.jpg

interesting idea. would it be possible to put legs on the hutch to raise it a foot or 2 off the ground? that would maximise run-around space. if not leg as as such, perhaps concrete blocks?
(most bunnies ime quite like climbing)

I am mindful that you have taken the time & trouble to source some advice on this matter :thumb:

I’m afraid 4ftx2ft is too small for the only indoor space.Not enough hopping space unfortunately. And if it’s 2 tier you lose floor space with ramps and hole, too.

Okay thanks guys I'll keep having a look for other options.

Ps yes raising would be no problem.

Back