• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC Recovery- reassurance needed please!

Semele5183

New Kit
Hi all

My 8 year old bunny is currently 2.5 weeks into treatment with Panacur for EC. He had had recurrent stasis, urinary incontinence and weight loss over the course of 2 months or so. My usual vets gave him antibiotics and gut stimulants a couple of times then basically shrugged and suggested having him PTS.

I brought him further to a rabbit savvy vet who did a full workup and diagnosed EC, saying he looked like he had been infected a long time previously. I have had a bun with EC before but she presented very differently so I hadn't thought of it.

Since getting him home from an overnight stay and general anaesthetic (for X ray, dental work and having bladder sludge expressed- the vet thought it was worth covering all bases when he was getting the GA in the first place!) he's looked worse. I think the stress really brought out the EC symptoms.

He has hind leg weakness (not total paralysis) now. He's grooming himself and our other bun, pooing and weeing and eating well although a very limited diet (fresh veg and critical care mixed with a bit of baby food for taste/weight gain, not touching hay or pellets though). It has been an effort getting into a routine that works regarding keeping his bum clean and managing urine scald as he won't use his litter tray now, but we've got there.

Some days I feel he's doing great, especially when he seems bright and is chasing the syringe at feeding times! Other times like today he seems lethargic and a bit dopey, like he's forgotten how to eat and loses interest almost immediately. But then he's back to being bright the next day, just when I've resigned myself to him not getting better! My last bun with EC had total hind leg paralysis and head tilt, and I keep trying to hold onto how well she recovered with time and care, but some days it feels hopeless.

Is it normal for EC recovery to be this slow and up and down? I would not have him PTS while he seems content and is eating/pooing/grooming himself, but I hope he can get back a bit more independence.

This site has been such a valuable source of info, so thank you all!

Hi all

My 8 year old bunny is currently 2.5 weeks into treatment with Panacur for EC. He had had recurrent stasis, urinary incontinence and weight loss over the course of 2 months or so. My usual vets gave him antibiotics and gut stimulants a couple of times then basically shrugged and suggested having him PTS.

I brought him further to a rabbit savvy vet who did a full workup and diagnosed EC, saying he looked like he had been infected a long time previously. I have had a bun with EC before but she presented very differently so I hadn't thought of it.

Since getting him home from an overnight stay and general anaesthetic (for X ray, dental work and having bladder sludge expressed- the vet thought it was worth covering all bases when he was getting the GA in the first place!) he's looked worse. I think the stress really brought out the EC symptoms.

He has hind leg weakness (not total paralysis) now. He's grooming himself and our other bun, pooing and weeing and eating well although a very limited diet (fresh veg and critical care mixed with a bit of baby food for taste/weight gain, not touching hay or pellets though). It has been an effort getting into a routine that works regarding keeping his bum clean and managing urine scald as he won't use his litter tray now, but we've got there.

Some days I feel he's doing great, especially when he seems bright and is chasing the syringe at feeding times! Other times like today he seems lethargic and a bit dopey, like he's forgotten how to eat and loses interest almost immediately. But then he's back to being bright the next day, just when I've resigned myself to him not getting better! My last bun with EC had total hind leg paralysis and head tilt, and I keep trying to hold onto how well she recovered with time and care, but some days it feels hopeless.

Is it normal for EC recovery to be this slow and up and down? I would not have him PTS while he seems content and is eating/pooing/grooming himself, but I hope he can get back a bit more independence.

This site has been such a valuable source of info, so thank you all!

Recovery from EC can be very 'up and down'. Is only on Panacur ? I ask as usually a non steroidal anti-inflammatory is also prescribed. This is to try to reduce the inflammation that occurs when EC spores erupt and cause cellular damage to various organs of the body. It is the inflammation that causes clinical symptoms.

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

https://www.dovepress.com/encephali...-manageme-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-VMRR

EC is a roller coaster ride, but you will get there. Take it a week at a time. You may need more than one round of treatment if symptoms persist. Some may be permanent, but you should get a significant improvement. As Jane said, you need an NSAID to reduce the severity of the damage caused by the parasite. Also, don't forget that the parasite is shed in the urine, so in order to break the cycle of reinfection, you need to do a full clean out and disinfect of everything in contact with urine on days 21 and 28 of the treatment - walls, floors, bowls, toys, bedding, etc. 10% bleach or steam clean. Dispose of hay and similar bedding.

Hi Jack's-Jane. Yes, I forgot to say he is on Metacam too. Thank you for the links, I will read them properly now.x

Thank you! I've marked the 21 and 28 day cleaning in my phone so will get to it.

Would you do another 28 days of Panacur then? Do I finish this course then see how he is for a bit, or continue straight on if he is still very symptomatic by then?

Thank you! I've marked the 21 and 28 day cleaning in my phone so will get to it.

Would you do another 28 days of Panacur then? Do I finish this course then see how he is for a bit, or continue straight on if he is still very symptomatic by then?

Personally I would discuss it with a Rabbit Savvy Vet, sometimes a longer course of Panacur is prescribed, but not always.

A positive change today- I thought he wasn't as wet (with urine) yesterday as usual, then today he was almost completely dry! He has been weeing so it's not that he's just not doing anything. I assume the Panacur is helping him get back some bladder control or letting him get into a more normal position for weeing?

A positive change today- I thought he wasn't as wet (with urine) yesterday as usual, then today he was almost completely dry! He has been weeing so it's not that he's just not doing anything. I assume the Panacur is helping him get back some bladder control or letting him get into a more normal position for weeing?

Metacam
will reduce the inflammation and thus clinical symptoms should improve :) . Panacur has no anti-inflammatory properties but it is obviously needed to deal with the cause of the inflammation- ie erupting EC spores.

I hope that the improvement continues :)

Back