• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What signs that my bunny needs a companion?

I have just noticed you mention vaccination. This can be done earlier than 12 weeks. The best place to get excellent info on Bunnies is the Rabbit Welfare Association's website where you will find advice on everything bunny-related.

Oh dear - I hope it was the store staff that gave that advice rather than a vet or nurse!! Knowledge levels vary greatly from store to store and even from colleague to colleague - it’s best to get all your advice from a rabbit savvy vet. I work at a vets inside a Pets at Home store and we have an exotic vet. We neuter as many rabbits as we do cats (Or, we did before lockdown anyway) and have no higher incidence of mortality in the rabbits than we do the cats. Sadly even some vets and nurses are still very behind in their rabbit knowledge - it’s pretty crucial to have a ‘rabbit savvy vet’ on hand. Female rabbits really should be spayed because, as mentioned, their incidence of uterine cancer is very high. Every op and GA
carries a risk but there’s no reason a rabbit’s risk should be particularly high with the right vet. That said, this doesn’t mean your vet did anything wrong with your rabbit - GA risk is higher in every species of animal than it is in humans, no matter how good your vet 😔

Thank you, I have been putting Lily in the spare outdoor hutch next to Max’s hutch everyday now and bring her back in at nighttime, I’ve split some of the run off for her which is also next to Max’s so they can be close to each other, I’ve noticed that when I stroke Lily Max gets extremely jealous and almost demands stroking straight away, he then stays there whilst I’m stroking him for ages haha.

Yesterday he was out running round the garden and I lay down on the grass, he ran straight over to me and snuggled up for a cuddle it was lovely.
I’m thinking of trying to bond them soon, I wanted expert advice as I’m worrying that I’m going to do something wrong but I can’t find a bonding service near, I’ve been watching YouTube videos.

According to Max you should only pay attention to him as he is the dominant bun. Bonding shouldn't be difficult if you go about it properly, ie in a neutral space. It could even be "love at first sight"! I have bonded lots of bunnies but it is easier when they are young. I have always waited until the Doe is around 6 months before having her spayed but some do it sooner.

Last edited:
Could I bond them before she is spayed or would you wait till she is six months, get her spayed then bond after she recovers?
She’s 10 weeks today.

Personally I would bond before she is 6 months old when Max is "over" his neuter. If you wait until she is older, and it's your decision, she will have reached the bossy hormonal stage which will possibly make the bond more difficult. This is my advice going off my experience. The only worry is whether he will get her pregnant, but she will still be just too young to get pregnant when Max is in the clear.

I really appreciate your advice, my vet suggested doing it whilst she’s young, Max will be cleared from his neutering this week according to my vet.
I’ve been leaving her longer each day in the outdoor hutch next to him so they get used to each other, I was hoping to try bonding this weekend when the other half is home, the only neutral place I have though is the kitchen which isn’t the best.

I bet they will bond quickly so wherever they are it won't be for long. He will probably want to chase her a little bit but this is all part of the process. Try to keep them occupied with a few treats.

Oh I hope so, I’ve not seen any signs of aggression or anything.

wBmeFD6.jpg

dLW7Tho.jpg

pHardLz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back