• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What signs that my bunny needs a companion?

Rackeluk

Warren Scout
Hi, we have recently lost one of our rabbits, we had 2 boys being castrated and unfortunately one of them had a cardiac arrest coming out of anaesthetic.
Our other rabbit is doing well health wise, we still have another 3 and half weeks to recover from his operation but I’m just trying to research better on what signs I need to lookout for that he’s missing his companion?

We are in two minds, if he’s happy on his own we will improve his indoor cage and bring him indoors at night time and let him out in his hutch during the day spending more time with him or we get him a female spayed partner and start a bonding session.

Not sure what to do...

Just some random thoughts. Your boy is probably fully recovered from his neuter health-wise, but his hormones will probably take around 6 weeks to normalise. In the Winter you will not be able to move your bunny inside and outside as bunnies cannot manage the change in temperature, which will be too great when the weather gets colder.

And finally, you might not see definite signs that your bunny is missing his partner and so needs a companion. It is just accepted advice that as rabbits are social creatures, they are much happier with a partner of their own kind, who is there for them 24/7. If you were considering getting a companion, I agree a neutered Doe would be the best option.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

I also agree with Omi and Shimmer. Rabbits form a very close bond with another rabbit so it is something which should not be denied them.

Thank you so much for the advice it’s really appreciated, I thought that it was best in winter and with the rain and wind we have at the moment it was best to move him inside at night times I didn’t even know that it could be bad for him.

I think I will start looking at rescue places for a spayed doe, I struggled to sleep last night thinking of him on his own outside.

Oh just quickly, I made an enquiry at Pets at Home and they said that because our boy is neutered we wouldn’t need a spayed female, they advised that spaying a female is risky

Oh just quickly, I made an enquiry at Pets at Home and they said that because our boy is neutered we wouldn’t need a spayed female, they advised that spaying a female is risky

Another one to ignore I'm afraid :)

You wouldn't need a spayed female in that there would be no unwanted pregnancies. However, a Doe absolutely needs to be spayed for her own good. Unspayed she will have raging hormones, which will not only very likely make the bond more difficult, but also she will be regularly nest-building. Much more importantly spaying will prevent her from developing uterine cancer, which is an enormous risk for Does who are not spayed early in their lives.

Yes, there is a risk from spaying, as in a risk with any operation, as you very sadly experienced, but the risks of not spaying are far greater.

I’m so glad this website exists, thank you so much, looks like Pets at Home May not be the best place to look for rehoming a rabbit.

P at H is worth looking in - they may have a neutered rabbit in the rehome section. They also ring round other local stores if you ask. The staff do vary a lot in their rabbit experience.

There are also rabbit rescues to try. Some rehome nationally. Which part of the UK are you in? Someone may be able to recommend one.

Oh thank you, I’m in Bolton, Manchester.
I’ve contacted a few rescue places today but they haven’t got any females and one of them I contacted the lady said I wouldn’t pass the home check because I’ve only got a 6ft by 5ft run, trust me I have 2 x 210cm hutches with runs attached plus a 6ft x 5ft additional run, she made me feel awful, I thought I’d given load of space.

Hi All, need advice, my rabbit isn’t the same, he’s not eating much and is coming over to me for more petting than normal, don’t get me wrong I’m loving him wanting petting but he doesn’t normally like too much.

We got another bunnie but she’s only 9 weeks old so she’s still in an indoor cage, we are due to put her outside at 12 weeks.
We have been introducing them, we keep the rabbit in the run and put the bunny in a play pen next to the run so they can see and smell each other, the rabbit gets very excited and happy when the bunny is out.

What would you advise?

You will need to keep them separate for a few more weeks so that your male's hormones have subsided and he won't be capable of getting the little one pregnant. Feed the boy first as he is the dominant one and won't like it if you pay more attention to your girl. I couldn't understand when you say the bunny gets excited, which one is this? Are you going to name them soon? It'll make it easier to explain. When a few more weeks have passed you should be able to go ahead and bond them but before you do check that the younger is indeed a girl, not a boy as some boys look like girls up to about 12 weeks old. If you are sure you have a girl then you will need to introduce them in a neutral space, it should be fine as she is young, then she will need to be spayed when she reaches 6 months. For now, try to keep them as quiet as possible and don't allow any aggression between the bars.

Sorry yes they have names, our male is called Max and our female is called Lily.

Max gets very excited when Lily is next to him in her separate playpen, he starts smelling her and doing binky’s I think they are called.
I have a separate hutch and run that are next to each other so close enough to see and lay together but separated by wire, I was told by the breeder that Lily has to be 12 weeks before she can live outside in a hutch which is why she’s in an indoor cage.
When I take Lily back inside Max starts running round his run, I come back out to see him and he wants loads of petting.

Oh we’ve had Lily checked and she’s definitely a girl, she’s already showing her lovely personality, she will literally let you stroke her all day, the minute I pop in to see her she’s head up looking out it’s so sweet.

Oh also, does different breeds of rabbits make a difference? Max is a dwarf lop and Lily is a lionhead

No, different breeds can live together. It sounds like you have a lovely pair of rabbits but I wonder why the breeder said to wait until she is 12 weeks old before putting her outside? If it were winter then fair enough. Are you going to have them vaccinated. I have a Lily, she is a Lionhead and is 8 yrs old now. She now lives with a younger boy as she lost her Brother last year.

Max is fully vaccinated, Lily again I’ve been told to wait til 12 weeks to get her vaccinated.
I’ve been putting in her outside hutch during the day get used to Max I’ve just never had one so young so heavily relied on advice from the breeder.

I was told not to keep taking Lily inside and outside as rabbits get affected by change in temperature, is this right?
I’m going to be worried all night the first night she’s out.

If you are in UK at this time of year it should be fine to put her outside. It's if you want to bring an outdoor rabbit inside for a few hours and then back outside, in the cold weather, then this can cause respiratory problems.

Back