• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Prickly Goodies for Bunnies

Floppylop

Young Bun
Can anyone tell me if it is safe to feed brambles (Blackberries)to rabbits and if so is it just leaves as they stems are very prickly?

Yes. They are really good for digestion (not my bunnies fave though). i cut off the bigger thornier stems but more for the sake of my feet than the bunnies. Its surprising how well they can negociate thorns. Another reason I like to remove the thorny bits is my bunnies tend to randomly flop on their sides & I'm not wholly convinced they've safety assessed the area first

Brambles are a really good food for rabbits. Not so good for the person picking them. though. I tend to cut the leaves off with secateurs straight into something robust (eg a box) and forget about the stems as I don't like shredded fingers. Some leaves are thornier than others, so it pays to look around - unless you are cutting them back anyway. They also dry quite well for feeding in Winter, although it's one of the few greens that you can pick all year round.

We feed the lot as ours are outside: the OH has become very practised in the art of handling them! I find them arguably harder to manage once dried :thumb: Because they're less weighty when dry, they're easier to snag; we try and keep them separate and we haven't bothered drying any for years. They're practically evergreen as well.

Back