• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E CuliCuli.... experienes anyone

Floppylop

Young Bun
Long story but my little Lionlop buck,seems to have e - culiculi issues, he is on treatment, he has Panacur and Baytril, he also suffers from one very red eye, tho I am hoping no sign of damage as yet ...does anyone have experience of this condition, and I would like to ask, can he ever live with another bunny or will his 'shedding' be a restriction??

My bridge bunny had EC, with him he had liver and kidney issues and fits. He lived with Susan and she had panacur each time he did. Dillys eyes were okay though.

Yes the sore eye started before he had head tilt, I thought it was just a issue with dusty hay...then when he had the tilt I read up and realised it was probably connected, stragely it only affects one eye, sad as he is only around 16 wks

Yes the sore eye started before he had head tilt, I thought it was just a issue with dusty hay...then when he had the tilt I read up and realised it was probably connected, stragely it only affects one eye, sad as he is only around 16 wks

Sending vibes for your boy.

Is he also on an anti-inflammatory (eg Metacam)? It provides pain relief (eg for sore eye or ear infection) and is essential as part of the daily meds to relieve the neurological symptoms of EC. Getting rid of the parasite is only part of the treatment. Ensuring the damage caused by the parasite is minimised is important for the long- term outcome (eg head tilt, hind leg weakness).

Standard treatment is daily Panacur and an anti-inflammatory for 28 days. On days 21 and 28 of treatment, you need to disinfect or dispose of (eg hay bedding) anything that has been in contact with urine, as the parasite is shed in urine (floors, walls, bedding, bowls, toys, etc). This breaks the lifecycle of the parasite and helps prevent re-infection. 10% bleach solution or steam cleaning are fine. Other disinfectants can be used (eg Virkon, where bleach isn't appropriate). All rabbits that share the same space need to be treated with Panacur at the same time - again, this is to break the cycle of infection. It is a common parasite and many rabbits will have come into contact with it. Stress tends to bring out the typical symptoms. You may need to do more than one round of treatment, and keep an eye on the rabbit if it shows symptoms in the future so it can be treated promptly.

There's no reason why an EC bunny can't live with other bunnies. Mine did, and only the one initially showing symptoms was ever affected, although they were all treated each time. If you are treating more than one rabbit, 10% Panacur (for cats & dogs) is more cost-effective than the paste sold for rabbits.

He is on Panacur and Baytril, he has no paralysis or leg problems , mainly the head tilt, eating well etc, he is having drops in his eye which appears to be improving as it was very sore around, altho the eyeball itself looks clear.The vet is ringing tomorrow for an update so will take it from there. Would you clean him out daily to helpremove the urine etc, as I dont want him reinfecting himself, unless of course the Panacur stops that

E Culi, experience

My Bunny is a just over a week into treatment for EC, he had anti inflammatory injection the day he went in(but she didnt give me any to take home) he has had a week course of Baytril and is currently on a 28 day course of Panacur, just wondering if anyone can tell me when they started to see improvement in their bunnies, (he still has head tilt , no leg issues and has a good appetite ) also not sure that the vet has given him all he needs in treatment, anyone with opnions on the current treatment please.

Last edited:
I believe he needs to be kn daily anti-inflammaroty so id request that.
28 day pana is good but you'll need to do an intense, deep clean disinfection at day 16 and day 21? (hopefully someone can confirm).

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

My Bunny is a just over a week into treatment for EC, he had anti inflammatory injection the day he went in(but she didnt give me any to take home) he has had a week course of Baytril and is currently on a 28 day course of Panacur, just wondering if anyone can tell me when they started to see improvement in their bunnies, (he still has head tilt , no leg issues and has a good appetite ) also not sure that the vet has given him all he needs in treatment, anyone with opnions on the current treatment please.

I’ve merged this thread with the thread you already started on the same subject. Sending lots of vibes.

A non steroidal anti inflammatory such as Metacam is usually prescribed daily. That said, it is usually a good idea to have blood testing to check the Rabbit's renal function. EC can severely effect the kidney and if kidney damage has already occurred great care is needed with regards to giving NSAIDs.

Metacam??

Managed to get the vet to prescribe Metacam, but she only gave me a weeks supply , she was concerned that at 18-20 wks he might be a bit young for it...?? was quite happy till she charged me £22, and I know it sells for around £5 on internet...but has to have prescription, so you have no choice but to pay....will add up to quite a bit if he needs it for several weeks!!

I think the more metacam you get your paws on, the cheaper it is. A 32ml bottle from my vet is £26. Well done on getting him some.

I've had EC in a few bunnies now sadly, varying degrees of debilitation & affecting different parts of them. Horrible disease. As more domestic bunnies than not are thought to carry EC its not usually something that precludes finding your bunny a partner. I would say it needs more careful management with both rabbits as healthy as possible before commencing bonding & I'd put them on 9 days of panacur too

Back