• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New owner looking for advice

Clarebird

New Kit
Hi I have just joined looking for advice, we are happy bunny parents to 2 mini lops 9 weeks old. Advised by the breeder on what to feed them and how much but I am finding it differs from other websites , she mainly differs on the quantity, she said Give handful of pellets per bunny morning and evening , whereas I’ve read it should literally be an egg cup if that. Also she said to feed them herbs every day but not sure on quantities again, also I read you should not introduce too many different foods so quickly . So I have bought some basil coriander and parsley. And literally gave them a leaf or two each tonight.

Advice would be gratefully received please so I can keep Oreo and Cookie happy and healthy

Thanks xxx

Hi & welcome. I don't know much about young bunny nutrition but do know they need a lot more nuggets than adult bunnies (who are indeed usually best restricted to an egg cup full daily). they've a lot of growing to do. Feed them loads of good quality hay too - keep them in good habits with healthy teeth & tums. i'd say if they are new to herbs you're feeding appropriately - start small & build it up.

At the moment, I would keep to exactly what the breeder was feeding them. They are still babies, so pellets are useful at the moment, and the egg cup quantity is applicable to adults. Whatever greens they are used to is fine - check with the breeder for types and quantity that they are used to, and build on that. Introduce anything new in small quantities at first.

The main part (at least 80%) of any rabbit's diet should be hay or grass. Getting them into really good hay eating habits now is the best thing you can give them to eat. They need the fibre for gut health and to keep their constantly growing teeth in trim.

Useful rabbit diet info:
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

Don't forget to book them in at the vet for vaccinations (myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2 - now available in a single vaccine, otherwise 2 vaccinations with a 2 week gap between). Also ask about neutering while you are there, and confirm the genders - baby bunnies are often mis-sexed.

Hi thank you so I should continue to do a handful of pellets ? I have been allowing them to graze and munch on our grass too, yes I have plenty of hay and that is changed twice a week throwing out old and replacing with new I heard this was the best way to do it, hopefully someone can confirm this lol. Just want to get it right. I know treAts like carrot and apple should only be given once or twice a week not daily.
We are using wood shavings as bedding at as advised by breeder and vets, straw in the winter for warmth. And cleaning out toilet area daily.

At the moment, I would keep to exactly what the breeder was feeding them. They are still babies, so pellets are useful at the moment, and the egg cup quantity is applicable to adults. Whatever greens they are used to is fine - check with the breeder for types and quantity that they are used to, and build on that. Introduce anything new in small quantities at first.

The main part (at least 80%) of any rabbit's diet should be hay or grass. Getting them into really good hay eating habits now is the best thing you can give them to eat. They need the fibre for gut health and to keep their constantly growing teeth in trim.

Useful rabbit diet info:
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

Don't forget to book them in at the vet for vaccinations (myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2 - now available in a single vaccine, otherwise 2 vaccinations with a 2 week gap between). Also ask about neutering while you are there, and confirm the genders - baby bunnies are often mis-sexed.

Yes they have been sexed correctly and vaccinated with the combi one. Thanks so much for advice x

You can be quite generous at this age with pellets as they are growing still. Encourage them to become litter trained, this is helped by putting hay into the litter tray(s) on top of newspaper or other substrate. Bunnies like to eat while they do their toilet. Woodshavings is not recommended as it can cause respiratory problems when dry and liver disease when wet as it gives off Phenols. There is a load of excellent advice on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website on all things Rabbit. Have you got 2 of the same sex or one of each?

You can be quite generous at this age with pellets as they are growing still. Encourage them to become litter trained, this is helped by putting hay into the litter tray(s) on top of newspaper or other substrate. Bunnies like to eat while they do their toilet. Woodshavings is not recommended as it can cause respiratory problems when dry and liver disease when wet as it gives off Phenols. There is a load of excellent advice on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website on all things Rabbit. Have you got 2 of the same sex or one of each?

Hi I have one of each. We have Litter granules in the toilet but the bedding and other areas have wood chippings as recommended by everyone :shock::(. So what do I use instead in the hutch ? The breeder didn’t recommend newspaper because of the ink. I am getting more confused now lol

Yes it can be very confusing, like Pets at Home use shavings so everyone not "in the know" assumes this is the correct bedding. But sadly they are wrong and shavings can upset a rabbit's respiratory system and it is not funny when a rabbit comes down with Snuffles.. Many folk use lino in the hutch, I use newspaper, some put fleeces down. You could sprinkle some Back to Nature bedding around, nice for their little feet or Carefresh but this is expensive and I don't like the smell. The problem with newspaper is they might tear it up :lol: making a mess. You do know you will need to separate them in a few weeks time to ensure the female doesn't get pregnant? But they will go back together when the boy is neutered and no longer able to get her pregnant, usually around 6 weeks post neuter. Once that is over they can look forward to a lovely life together.

I use newspaper on the floor and something absorbent under hay in the litter trays (eg paper based cat litter). Lino is probably the easiest floor covering as you just sweep / wipe it daily. It doesn't have to covered with anything else. Pet shops want to sell you stuff - like wood shavings, special bedding and treats. You don't need all these things, and some are not good for rabbits.

Hay in litter trays should be spot cleaned daily and changed as needed. Fresh hay should be available daily - they eat more that way.

Back