• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poo in the spare room

Poryu

New Kit
HI All

My continental Giant is a house rabbit. Spends a lot of time at his own request to go outside most days.

He has a cage in the lounge where his litter trays and food are, and he is clean in there, he is clean everywhere.

Except if he manages to get into the spare bedroom. He will wee and poo all over the bed. not the floor, just the bed. and its a lot.

What i find strange is he sleeps in my bedroom under my bed. He rarely goes on my bed, and he will never ever toilet in the my room or any other place in the house except the spare room.

Does any one know why he only does it in that one room and almost as soon as he has managed to break into it.

He has been neutered.

I need some advice please

Paul

HI All

My continental Giant is a house rabbit. Spends a lot of time at his own request to go outside most days.

He has a cage in the lounge where his litter trays and food are, and he is clean in there, he is clean everywhere.

Except if he manages to get into the spare bedroom. He will wee and poo all over the bed. not the floor, just the bed. and its a lot.

What i find strange is he sleeps in my bedroom under my bed. He rarely goes on my bed, and he will never ever toilet in the my room or any other place in the house except the spare room.

Does any one know why he only does it in that one room and almost as soon as he has managed to break into it.

He has been neutered.

I need some advice please

Paul

It sounds to me as though he feels he needs to mark his territory in there. Perhaps it's because it's a room he rarely goes into and therefore sees a need to claim it. I would try stopping him going in there completely if you can. My two neutered rabbits have both been in their accomodation for over two years and yet they still feel the need to mark the very edge of the territory.

It sounds to me as though he feels he needs to mark his territory in there. Perhaps it's because it's a room he rarely goes into and therefore sees a need to claim it. I would try stopping him going in there completely if you can. My two neutered rabbits have both been in their accomodation for over two years and yet they still feel the need to mark the very edge of the territory.

I agree with this. Some rabbits will wee and poo on soft things so it might be worth washing everything then covering with something like a shower curtain which will protect the bed and dissuade him from using it as a toilet. Also, putting a litter tray with hay in that room might divert him to use that instead.

He used to be ok in there, it was sort of his room when he wanted to just time out on his own, he would even take afternoon naps in there.

Nothing has changed except the room is now tidier and all the junk removed.

But if he sees that door is open, needing the toilet or not, he is in there and boom.

Spare room you say? Sounds to me like your bunny thinks its his room;)

As Omi says it sounds like he needs to mark the room as his territory. Maybe there is a slight scent of a previous guest in there (no dig on your cleanliness but a nod to how amazingly sensitive bunnies noses are). I too would just keep him locked out. If thats not possible you'll be dragging the shower curtains or tarpaulin out like some on here have had to resort to.

His behaviour sounds exemplary otherwise

He used to be ok in there, it was sort of his room when he wanted to just time out on his own, he would even take afternoon naps in there.

Nothing has changed except the room is now tidier and all the junk removed.

But if he sees that door is open, needing the toilet or not, he is in there and boom.

It can also become a habit. Zoobec's idea of washing and then protecting everything and providing a litter tray might be worth a try.

HI All

I have scrubbed, sprayed, cleaned the room .
The bed had some towels on it and then an old sheet over the top and he still does it.

Now it has a plastic sheet draped over it with an old sheet to cover that

He is great and we are best buddies. before lock down we used to go to the pub together. He has more followers than me on instragram, we walk in the vet and the ladies there just want to steal him, the pet shop wants to employ him. We go for a walk and he could easily go home with a diary of dates form the ladies he meets on the way.

But he just craps on one bed.

I think an extra litter try just in case he breaks in is a good idea. maybe in the middle of the bed lol

I love the title of this thread - classic RU! & on your first post

Oh yes, had to come here for advice. He isnt my first I have had rabbits before, but Dave is a very strong willed character.

He is brilliant but he is driving me nuts with the spare room right now.
He scratches at the door to push it open like a dog, even hides and waits if I am in there to try and bypass me when I come out.

One new thing is, my feet if no slippers or shoes on are open targets for playing with.

I agree with this. Some rabbits will wee and poo on soft things so it might be worth washing everything then covering with something like a shower curtain which will protect the bed and dissuade him from using it as a toilet. Also, putting a litter tray with hay in that room might divert him to use that instead.

I bought Madelyn a new pet bed in December. When she was in her pen she did not use it or soil it. However, once she had to live in my bathroom while repairs were being done to my kitchen/living area she peed all over he pet bed and used it as a second litter box. Other bunnies have also preferred to pee on my bed shortly after using their litterbox.

My bunnies are too small to get up on the bed on their own. When they are held on the bed I have often felt a lump during the night that turns out to be a bunny poo or worse, a bunny poo that crumbled. At least a bunny poo does not cause me to jump up and instantly change the bedding. Pee is a different story.

Last edited:
Back