• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unneutered Rabbits

Hi, I'm fairly new here and new to rabbits. A bit of background: I got 2 baby Netherland dwarfs around 6 weeks ago - brother and sister, Sophie and Joey - we got them at around 12-13 weeks old. They are amazing and love them to pieces, I'm thoroughly enjoying learning about rabbits and my guys little personalities!

When they started getting hormonal we separated them. We currently keep them separate in a two tier hutch, Joey at the top and Sophie at the bottom. We let them out separately and they have a great time, running round and binkying all over the place!

My issue is that recently when Joey has been out running around, he spends a lot of time hassling Sophie through the bars of the hutch. He sticks his paws through and will give her little nips which seems to upset her to the extent where she's started making little squeaks/growls when he gets a bit too intense. I do shoo him away or put him back in his hutch but sometimes I don't always get there in time before Sophie gets upset.

My concern is if this would effect their relationship after they've been neutered/spayed. They're both booked in to be fixed on the 14th so there isn't long to wait now but once they've recovered I am desperate to bond them and have them live together properly. Will these hormonal bursts of aggression effect their future bonding prospects?

Also in regards to the neutering, Joey is a little guy weighing in at around 750g, our vet has recommended that they would rather he weigh 1kg before neutering but would be okay to neuter at 800g due to his breed as he may never get to the 1kg mark.

I'm pretty confident that he will put on the weight to get him over the 800g by the time he's booked in but is it riskier if he is under 1kg? He'll be 20 weeks by the time of his appointment and the vet said he is ready to neuter once gains the weight. Does anyone have any experience with getting little boy rabbits neutered at under 1kg?

Sorry for the long post, I just love my bunnies so much and want to do what's best for them!

Thanks in advance

Hi, I'm fairly new here and new to rabbits. A bit of background: I got 2 baby Netherland dwarfs around 6 weeks ago - brother and sister, Sophie and Joey - we got them at around 12-13 weeks old. They are amazing and love them to pieces, I'm thoroughly enjoying learning about rabbits and my guys little personalities!

When they started getting hormonal we separated them. We currently keep them separate in a two tier hutch, Joey at the top and Sophie at the bottom. We let them out separately and they have a great time, running round and binkying all over the place!

My issue is that recently when Joey has been out running around, he spends a lot of time hassling Sophie through the bars of the hutch. He sticks his paws through and will give her little nips which seems to upset her to the extent where she's started making little squeaks/growls when he gets a bit too intense. I do shoo him away or put him back in his hutch but sometimes I don't always get there in time before Sophie gets upset.

My concern is if this would effect their relationship after they've been neutered/spayed. They're both booked in to be fixed on the 14th so there isn't long to wait now but once they've recovered I am desperate to bond them and have them live together properly. Will these hormonal bursts of aggression effect their future bonding prospects?

Also in regards to the neutering, Joey is a little guy weighing in at around 750g, our vet has recommended that they would rather he weigh 1kg before neutering but would be okay to neuter at 800g due to his breed as he may never get to the 1kg mark.

I'm pretty confident that he will put on the weight to get him over the 800g by the time he's booked in but is it riskier if he is under 1kg? He'll be 20 weeks by the time of his appointment and the vet said he is ready to neuter once gains the weight. Does anyone have any experience with getting little boy rabbits neutered at under 1kg?

Sorry for the long post, I just love my bunnies so much and want to do what's best for them!

Thanks in advance

It will take about a month after his neuter for Joey to be able to get back with Sophie (he will still be fertile plus his hormones take time to get out of his system). I had many ND bunnies over the years and most were close to or over 1K. I did have a very tiny male neutered who was a bit smaller than your boy and he recovered well. The vet will want the bunny old enough that his privates are descended.

Firstly I would check that your female is a female as going off the boy's behaviour, it might be a boy. Hopefully not. Don't rush into getting him neutered, it is best to wait until he is a good weight and age as they will re-bond afterwards. The behaviour might just be normal as when one rabbit is caged and the other is free they do tend to try to nip through the bars. You really need a double barrier as if she gets her nose bitten they don't always heal properly.

Thanks guys, Joey's privates have definitely descended and hopefully he'll have gained enough weight by his appointment, he seems to have been going through a bit of a spurt at the moment. Sophie reached just over 1kg last week so she's good to go!

We've placed tall boxes (it's all we have to use as a barrier at the moment) around the bottom of the hutch to stop Joey getting too close to Sophie through the bars and it seems to be working for the time being. I just feel like I'm being a bit mean to Sophie as she's completely almost completely closed in.

We did consider swapping them and having Sophie in the top part of the hutch but thought it might be too distressing for them as they're now used to their part of the hutch. Would this be too upsetting for them? As I think it would solve the issue somewhat

You could put Sophie upstairs, it shouldn't upset her really. At least he won't be able to reach her then.

Back