• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies with the first pickings of the Purple Tree Collard...

Yes. He was told to stay on the maxitrol drops . ruth didn't think it was indicative of needing dental work. She was very thorough. we talked about bonding a little. Its a very valuable experience watching how vets work when it isn't your bunny . Is she back yet do you know?

Also do you know which of the Kales you gave to Boobly - Taunton Deane or Purple Collard?

Taunton Deane. Or at least, I had 4 purple but can only identify 3 with certainty. You have a 1/11 chance of it being a purple tree collard. If the veins on the leaves are very purple then it may well be...!

I don't know if Ruth is back yet. Barnaby had a vaccine last week. I hoped to get chance to suss out the new vet but got a brisk and busy Allison.

Last edited:
Thanks

let me know if you hear of her returning . pity you didn't get the chance to suss out Paul

Will do. Yeah, I was hoping to suss out Paul.

Here's a few pictures of the kale to help you identify what yours is (or just baffle you as the Taunton Deane are fairly purple too)

First pictures are Purple Tree Collard:

The beauty at the back is heading for the roof already and the cage is 195cm high :shock:

These are Taunton Deane

Last edited:
I'd guess Taunton Deane but they look really similar to my inexperienced eyes. I've been watching youtube vids on taunton deane. I like how this woman has them as actual trees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMnSGPzIQS0

Oh, that's interesting, I fancy having a go at doing that. I could have a few randomly around the garden. It could be quite a feature in the front garden - nobody else has one :lol::lol: I don't think there is much difference between the two varieties (given how hard they are to tell apart), Purple Tree Collard = taller and more purple.. other than that they look to be the same.

We have kale almost every other day, swapped with spring greens :D You can always pre-cook a batch and have it cold. I usually braise it (fry slightly and then cover & steam) because I can add other flavours.

Your garden plans remind me of the ornamental cabbage craze :lol: Better than strictly ornamental though!

Gorgeous photos.:love:. Still scratching my head over purple tree.:lol:

Googled, got it now. Must admit never heard of it before.

Last week introduced chard for the first time. My neighbour gave me a bunch from a friend garden. The bunnies love it.

Last edited:
Bunny Buddy, your Kale looks so super healthy and clean, especially with the rain drops on it :) I'll be interested to see how this grows.

Bunny Buddy, your Kale looks so super healthy and clean, especially with the rain drops on it :) I'll be interested to see how this grows.

Thank you. Covered in rain drops is it's usual state ;) I was a bit apprehensive about damage from the high wind last night but *touch wood* it seems to have survived. I plan to randomly place 'free range' kale around the garden, it will be interesting to see how it fairs compared to the protected, molycoddled ones.

Thank you. Covered in rain drops is it's usual state ;) I was a bit apprehensive about damage from the high wind last night but *touch wood* it seems to have survived. I plan to randomly place 'free range' kale around the garden, it will be interesting to see how it fairs compared to the protected, molycoddled ones.

Mine is loved but free-range (un-netted) for a month - the only bug I've ever found on him was a spider:love:, no holes, no eggs. It really is amazing stuff.
It will be interesting to see if mine fares less well for being in a pot. Tried to convince Bob to drill 10 more holes in back yard & grow some as trees like on that vid. I think the bunnies (read that as I) would love it. But it would make things like putting washing out & doing woodwork awkward

Mine is loved but free-range (un-netted) for a month - the only bug I've ever found on him was a spider:love:, no holes, no eggs. It really is amazing stuff.
It will be interesting to see if mine fares less well for being in a pot. Tried to convince Bob to drill 10 more holes in back yard & grow some as trees like on that vid. I think the bunnies (read that as I) would love it. But it would make things like putting washing out & doing woodwork awkward

Yes, there always seems to be compromise. It looks like the variegated is the one that really needs protecting, maybe I would have planned things differently, but hey ho, live and learn. Yes, it will be interesting to know how much potted or otherwise will make a difference.

Over the last few days there have been considerably more White butterfilies flying enthusiastically around the Kale here :( It is netted but it's by no means Butterfly-proof. I've also found two or three slugs inside the Lettuces I've picked recently.

Is the white/grey and beige bunny Eloise or Linden, please? He/she's gorgeous :love:

Eloise is a harlequin - sort of peachy colour with grey - the photo doesn't do her or Linden justice. I was a bit put out when they visited my local vet Sam and she kept telling Linden how beautiful he is (he is) but Eloise is rather stunning too. Sam is proper in love with Linden. I will get decent photos of them some day. Linden is (I think) opal, he's very shy but a real looker.

bunnies are gorgeous & look so tiny against their kale. Guessing they are 2.5 k - around?

Eloise is my largest bunny at around 3kg, Linden is about 2.8kg. Olly is Dutch cross and about 1.6, Spirit Nethie cross at about 1.4. That kale with E+L looks enormous, I think it's the camera angle as it didn't look that big when I picked it.

I have found some old pictures of Eloise and Linden when they had just returned from their bunnymoon. Eloise is my oldest rabbit at 9 years and Linden her toyboy at 4 years old.

I actually had RU searching for Eloise for me as I saw her advertised on Rabbit Rehome and after a month of deliberating I contacted her owner and she had already gone to P@H/Support Adoption so the frantic search to find her to adopt her started.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...n-West-Yorkshire-UD-Post-90&highlight=halifax

I have found some old pictures of Eloise and Linden when they had just returned from their bunnymoon. Eloise is my oldest rabbit at 9 years and Linden her toyboy at 4 years old.

I actually had RU searching for Eloise for me as I saw her advertised on Rabbit Rehome and after a month of deliberating I contacted her owner and she had already gone to P@H/Support Adoption so the frantic search to find her to adopt her started.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...n-West-Yorkshire-UD-Post-90&highlight=halifax

:love: what a lovely story :love:

Back