• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore eye suggestions please...

Floppylop

Young Bun
Till I can get to vet I have a red eyes bunny that has one very red eye, any suggestions for healing, vet has suggested bathing in warm ater, but are there any drops I could try etc for relief in the meantime

Till I can get to vet I have a red eyes bunny that has one very red eye, any suggestions for healing, vet has suggested bathing in warm ater, but are there any drops I could try etc for relief in the meantime

Not in my view, sadly no. I would want a vet to establish what the problem was, before prescribing any drops. I would go with what your vet has advised and just bathe in warm water. Hopefully, you will be able to get your bunny to the vet soon. Sending vibes for your bunny, I expect the eye is sore.

an old style 'treatment' (I use the word loosely) according to a new vet i saw recently is bathing in cool black tea

I got antibiotic eyedrops from the pharmacy (illegally, I would have needed a prescription, but after explaining the pharmacist just sighted and said that's a quite common request from rabbit owners). They don't make things worse, even if they don't help much.
If you can't get that, make a sterile saline solution to clean the eye, google it, but I think it's 2% salt in water, cooked up for some minutes, and used right after it cooled down.

If you feel that your rabbit needs more treatment can you not email a photo of the affected eye to your vet so that they can prescribe? We did this recently with Susan who is a REW.

Hello. Hope you can get your bunny to see a vet soon. Right now you could try to clean that eye with camomile or marigold tea. Just make sure it's not hot! Only a bit warm. I've tried that ir the past and it helped a lot. Bunny liked it too [emoji4]
Hope your bunny gets better soon!

Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

Back