• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dennis

loobers25

Warren Veteran
My lovely lad is starting to seem "old". He is getting really doddery on his feet, often sat in weird postions. He is walking a lot and I suspect the nerves in his spine are effecting his mobility - sometimes he can be a bit draggy. He's a happy boy who still gets a round everywhere and still grooming his Syrupness everyday. Poops are ok. He is clean underneath (don't know how to be honest.)

Do you think there is anything I else I can do to make his life a bit more comfortable? My lad turnt 10 in march so I know he is not particularly old as such. Never had a bunny live so long - he is bunderful and I owe him a lot. He healed my heart after Toby and he tamed the Syrupness. He's a wonder bun. I should add his appetite is very good too

Last edited:
YOu love Dennis - that is clear in how you write about him. He is your world, and you are his. You're looking for something that isn't there Loobers. Dennis is aging - we all do. It is life. We can't halt it. We can change it, and you have changed Dennis's for the better. His life is enriched with your love and with the bond he shares with Syrup. You are his hooman eyes and ears and you have his back. You are there for him, watching and caring. His physical needs are catered for, his emotional ones are taken care of with Syrup.
Make sure he enjoyes each and every day Loobers. You describe a happy rabbit - he is clean and he can groom syrup, as she him.
A soft safe space for him to sit and lay down perhaps?
But just be as you are. He's a beautiful boy - he's just reacting from nature and age. He's lucky to have you and share his life there with you and your family.
Craig xx

Your description of him sounds exactly like my Mousey. She looks old whereas Joey may be older & looks so much younger. You wouldn't expect a 90 year old human to be agile = maybe its the same with bunnies? He sounds a happy soul :love:

Your description of him sounds exactly like my Mousey. She looks old whereas Joey may be older & looks so much younger. You wouldn't expect a 90 year old human to be agile = maybe its the same with bunnies? He sounds a happy soul :love:

My view too. Tethra is 9 and is also starting to look old. Dennis is doing well :love:

It's sad when you see them getting older. Laurel is 10.5 and doing well so as long as they are happy we have to be thankful for that. xx

I was only thinking this about Treacle a couple of days ago, and she is just 7 1/2 but slowing and sleeping more. Dennis sounds happy and everything is fine in his world, he's loved and well cared for, no bun can ask for more than that xxx

My lovely lad is starting to seem "old". He is getting really doddery on his feet, often sat in weird postions. He is walking a lot and I suspect the nerves in his spine are effecting his mobility - sometimes he can be a bit draggy. He's a happy boy who still gets a round everywhere and still grooming his Syrupness everyday. Poops are ok. He is clean underneath (don't know how to be honest.)

Do you think there is anything I else I can do to make his life a bit more comfortable? My lad turnt 10 in march so I know he is not particularly old as such. Never had a bunny live so long - he is bunderful and I owe him a lot. He healed my heart after Toby and he tamed the Syrupness. He's a wonder bun. I should add his appetite is very good too

I am not sure what type of surface Dennis is kept on, but elderly Bunnies showing some hind leg weakness usually do better on something with a good traction, so they dont slip when they hop. I am afraid I do not remember if Dennis has already been diagnosed with arthritis ? If not then you may want to have a chat with the Vet about the possibility of him having some Metacam for a while to see if it helps his mobility.

He sounds to be a very contented lad, a adore elderly Bunnies :love:

He has the whole room filled with hay (the hay carpet as I call it) as Dennis can't be trusted with anything other unfortunately. Uncle John took a CT scan and he had athritis pretty much everywhere. He said that his spine and sternum was completely bridged. He's on metacam 15kg twice daily so we can up that. I am going to see Uncle John on Tuesday as yesterday I have started seeing that Dennis is spitting out his fresh and then eating it again.

I am not sure if this is a dental problem or a general pain problem so I am going to get john to have look. It's a bit odd as he eats hay and dry forage really well

Are you still massaging Mouseypie? Would you take a video as I think Dennis would like it but I don't want to do a hurty. When Syrup comes over for a smoothing Dennis requests for one too now. It's not like his wife will do it for him! :roll:

Your words are always so lovely and make my eyes teary. :love:
The thing is I have always wanted an elderbun and I thought I would be more accepting that they have had a long happy life. The reality is no matter how old they are you just want them forever and it's hard seeing their health as not as it was.

I just worry about his pain and mobility and because I love him I might have the blinkers on for when it's too much for him you know?

With athritis Omi, would the weather changing back and forth quickly bring on pain or not particularly?

I haven't been posting photographs as my phone is now too old for tapatalk. I will use OH phone tonight as I don't want anyone to have a vitamin Den defficency

I hope he gets on well at the vets - brave Dennis. Boo mouths some greens but eats hay & other things when she needs the dentist. Maybe he has a spur or 2 bothering him.
Why are some rabbits so mean with groomies. Mouse used to groom Rudeys back & feet but we had to do his crusty eyes twice a day as she wouldn't touch them. He on the other hand was so dilligent cleaning her eyes & how helpful he'd been with this was evident as soon as he'd gone.

I don't know if it'd be useful or responsible (since I'm winging it) taking a video of Mousey having a massage & of course there is the privacy issue :lol: I once had a massage 7 couldn't move my neck for 2 days with the pain. I basically just use my fingers. Small strokes & some circular movements. She makes it easy for me though as she tells me when I'm getting it right (grooms carpet, paws or bossom), I'm almost getting it right (look of concentration, head upright), if I get it wrong I get scowls or she moves away.

Ask Uncle John I reckon.

BTW Mousey loves her snugglesafe, even during summer, i think she gets a lot of pleasre from a direct heat source

That's a good idea to ask uncle John. I know what you mean about massage i had one and i was in pain for two days after. I bought a pet remedy heat mat that i was saving for winter. I might experiment with this aa i thought he might be a bit warm.

One thing i have noticed is even if I accidently spook Syrup and she runs for the hills she never accidently goes over Dennis. She will always go around him and i do sense an awareness not to hurt him. However this is where it ends as she is nowere to be seen when he needs his blimmin' crusty eyes and flakey ears cleaned. The vets said it's such a shame Maple won't clean his eyes as it would save a lot of trouble. Syrupy got told off that day

I think the weather affects Mousey's arthritis - i'd say yesterday she looked uncomfy / stiff getting up & more clumbsy. i don't see this often though - normally seems on a level

Yes exactly he has good days and bad days. We are going through a bad couple days even though it's June and I suspect it is the weather changing although he is indoors. Hmm

Back