• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finding A Friend For My Bun

Arog12

New Kit
Hi everyone im new to this whole bunny thing i recently rescued a bunny back in october ive had him a little while now he isnt fixed but he doesnt spray atleast ive never seen it hes pretty much a free roam bunny. But he seems kinda depressed he loves my 3 year old son they run around with each other all day but i was thinking maybe he needs a friend? He went from a place that had a lot of animals and kids to a place with 1 kid and no other animals i just feel kind of bad with him being 3 i know i cant get him fixed so how could i go about getting him a friend? Could i get a fixed female or male? Ive heard so many mixed things. Hes been to the vet hes healthy nothings wrong he just seems lonely

THANKS EVERYONE! 😊

I am afraid your rabbit will need neutering before you can get him a friend. He would no doubt fight with another male and if you were to pair him off with a neutered female he would pester her so much she would get very stressed. 3 is still very young and there should be no problems with getting him neutered.

I am afraid your rabbit will need neutering before you can get him a friend. He would no doubt fight with another male and if you were to pair him off with a neutered female he would pester her so much she would get very stressed. 3 is still very young and there should be no problems with getting him neutered.

I agree with this :thumb:

Lovely that you're thinking of getting your bunny a friend. as Tonibun said it simply won't work out if he hasn't been neutered. Good news is he is still a young bunny & should handle the op well. A spayed female will give you the best chance of bonding success. I'd call some rescues once you're little guy has had his neuter & they should be able to find him the perfect companion:love:

Thank you guys thats a lot of help! A lot of people keep telling me that 3 is too old to get him fixed so its relieving to know i can get him fixed but will that change his behavior

Last edited:
Hello and welcome. Yes I agree with the advice from the other posts but I can add for you that we recently rescued a 5 year old who had been a solo bun all his life. He was neutered at 4 years 9 months so your 3 year old would be fine (there is always an obvious risk with any anaesthetic and op). The hormones will take anything from 5-8 weeks to subside at which point you would be able to look for a companion. Your bunny will feel lonely as rabbits emotionally rely on and thrive with other rabbits but will also maintain that special bond with you and your son.
I would suggest a female possibly similar age and certainly from a rescue centre as you would be giving a rabbit in need a second chance for a forever home.
Good luck and please keep us updated.
Craig. X

Thank you guys thats a lot of help! A lot of people keep telling me that 3 is too old to get him fixed so its relieving to know i can get him fixed but will that change his behavior

Neutering should only reduce/diminish hormonal behaviours such as circling, grunting, marking etc. It won’t alter his personality.

I would ensure that you use a rabbit savvy exotics vet to do the neutering and indeed provide any treatment for illnesses etc, it can make a huge difference. You can ask for recommendations on here and also search on the rwaf website https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/
Very often the charges aren’t any more or much more than a standard vet, in fact sometimes it can save money as they know how to treat straight away rather than trying different things.

Back