• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

(Twitter) Updates from VCUFAW conference (contains 1 small distressing image)

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
From: https://twitter.com/hashtag/VCUFAW2020?src=hashtag_click&f=live

Dr. Dan O'Neill presented on "What's Up Doc? - Exposing pet rabbit welfare issues using VetCompass veterinary clinical records". Twitter summaries from attendees (of which I am not one!) include:

"should we even keep #rabbits as "pets" or is there a full-blown albeit hidden #animalwelfare crisis in plain sight?"
Eb2KfMqWsAE6lC_

"#Rabbits do not make good #pets for a whole series of reasons. We also know that they are not adapted to being kept as "production" animals. Possibly best to leave them alone once and for all?"
Eb2LQDWX0AAvnhw

"#Rabbits have very complex needs meaning they don't make good #pets. There's a welfare crisis in plain sight. Dan O'Neill from @RoyalVetCollege discusses how @VetCompass data reveals demography, mortality and clinical problems in England"

"Dan O'Neill rounds off #VCUFAW2020 by showing that male rabbits are more common as companion animals than females, and live longer. Why is this? Nail and dental issues are common"

"#DYK a study reviewing conditions in rabbits found that top causes of death in pet rabbits were: flystrike as top cause, followed by anorexia & myxomatosis, all these issues are related to rabbit care! Many opportunities here to improve rabbit welfare! D. O'Neill"
Eb2NZyFWkAE1P2D

"#Rabbits as #pets: top cause of mortality is flystrike (preventable & very painful). Myxomatosis (for which a vaccine exists) also common, and so is obesity. Conclusion: there is an ongoing #animalwelfare crisis that requires rethinking of societal licence to "own""

"Dr. Dan O'Neill from @RoyalVetCollege
at #VCUFAW2020 talking about welfare issues in rabbits.

Unpleasent reality: Many rabbits are suffering every day due to insufficient husbandry.

Plus a reminder: Rabbits arent pets for children!!"
Eb2NmnxXYAA0Zu1

"Dr Dan O’Neill: “we need to start to move away from what the owner wants, and towards what the pet needs”

Just because people ‘want’ pets which appearances that compromise their welfare, they do not necessarily have the right to have/breed such an animal"

"What's up doc?🐰 #VCUFAW2020 Dan O'Neill @RoyalVetCollege: @VetCompass #bigdata on UK pet #rabbits highlights widespread health & welfare issues. Argues not a suitable kid's pets, being ground-living, nervous prey animals - "should think of 'animal guardianship' not 'ownership' "

A snapshot of that particular talk, but I thought it would be interesting, if not 'new news' to people here :)

Wow, that's really interesting. I wouldn't have expected fly strike to be biggest cause of mortality. Average life of 4.3 years :(

Maybe flystrike was the most obvious identifiable cause of death to the owner - if people don't expect them to live longer than 2-3 years and don't vaccinate, it is 'just' a dead pet (possibly due to eg. RHD), whereas the effects of flystrike are obvious to see. I am assuming that the deaths were not subject to PMs in most cases - I've not looked at the link.

I was also a bit shocked at first by flystrike, but then, like Shimmer, I realised it was probably more obvious than the rest :S 4.3yrs is no age: even Aboleth was older than that and she wasn't old when she went :( It was about the length of time we had her though, and it was no time at all :love:

Can't comment on whether PMs were undertaken but I would also expect not. I will keep an eye out in case this lecture is available online in its entirety.

I suspect the use of vet records is overstating age and not accurate for cause of death.
There are still people who do not take small animals to vets-either because of lack of specialized vets or belief small animals are 'throw aways', so it is my belief many die long before 4 years.
Places selling rabbits need to be regulated-bunnies are not merchandise.

I'd be curious to know if its "cause of death" or "reason for euthanasia" or if these are being classed as the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Believe it or not I agree with this Tweet

"#Rabbits do not make good #pets for a whole series of reasons. We also know that they are not adapted to being kept as "production" animals. Possibly best to leave them alone once and for all?"

Believe it or not I agree with this Tweet

I think anyone who's cared for so many rabbits as well as you have, it's a no-brainer! They're terrible as pets XD Nothing but hoppy little balls of anxiety-inducing potential issues! I'm forever thankful mine (so far, touch wood) have been relatively easy.

Which does bring me to wonder, thinking about other prey species: are guinea pigs any 'better'? What do people think? And any other prey species, or the really small furries (prey and predator in one)?

I think anyone who's cared for so many rabbits as well as you have, it's a no-brainer! They're terrible as pets XD Nothing but hoppy little balls of anxiety-inducing potential issues! I'm forever thankful mine (so far, touch wood) have been relatively easy.

Which does bring me to wonder, thinking about other prey species: are guinea pigs any 'better'? What do people think? And any other prey species, or the really small furries (prey and predator in one)?

ha. good description!

Back